Musical Cop-Out

• Replies 652
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So, wouldn't amplification be considered a musical cop-out as well?

Yes.

I too was very critical at first, but by the end I thought the kid rocked. It at times seemed that the brass and even the battery got in the way of the music. If a corps like Spirit can do this at the level they do it at, I look forward to seeing what a corps like the Blue Devils can do with this new element. I also remember when a top local HS band added this to their field show and yes, it was to fill out the bass element on the field. That was in the early '90s. I also remember seeing that same band drop using all the electronics and especially el. bass, back in the late '90s. This element is nothing new to marching music. It is in fact a couple of decades ago, in HS bands.

Good Job Spirit! and especially your Bassman!

Where do I start?

1. I don't go to a drum corps show to "rock." I go to get the loose skin on my face tightened by brass and percussion (saves money on face lifts)

2. You are so right that Drum Corps is behind the times as it relates to having electronics on the field. Unfortunately, they're catching up.

3. Another problem that you pointed out is that everyone noticed the bassist throughout the entire show. That's a problem to me.

Nobody is disputing his ability. There is no doubt that Spirit has a great "rhythm" this year, but if I put a trap set and an electric bass in everyone else's pit, they would "rock" too.

Folks, the fact that I'm screaming into the darkness is somewhat disheartening (along with several others), but this is not an issue of taste. There is a fundamental issue at stake, and that is the integrity of drum corps to be what it is. (emphasis added).

The rebuttal that this argument is old and tired because drum corps abandoned bugles long ago, or that we have pits, etc. is flawed. Sheesh, if that's the argument then hell's bells, let's just open the gates wide open to woodwinds, etc. (sidenote: speaking of which, is a "shofar" technically a wood wind?).

When you get to be my age, people often accuse you of being unwilling to change. That's sometimes true. But other times, there is a wisdom that comes which sees that not all change produces good results. Wisdom is being able to see the ultimate results of decisions made.

With clenched fist held high, I will resist as long as possible. I will continue to go to shows because there is an entertainment factor (I admit), but there is value in attempting to hold the line against the forces of evil!

P.S. Since when do the corps have to submit to those who make the rules by adopting the changes. It's not like the corps are helpless bystanders. If DCI allows electronics, why does any given corps have to use them?

with the new rules, its legal, So What if they had a bass player, its better then being top heavy due to lack of contras, the balance will fix itself

Or, you could use some of the traditional fixes to balance issues. Have the trumpets play softer, move a few of them to euphonium, offer incentives to attract a couple of tuba players, etc.

Nothing ever "fixes itself." This, as a solution to balance problems, smacks of pressing the "easy button".

P.S. Since when do the corps have to submit to those who make the rules by adopting the changes. It's not like the corps are helpless bystanders. If DCI allows electronics, why does any given corps have to use them?

You make it sound like the corps and those responsible for rule changes are separate entities. They're not. Corps adopt rules amongst themselves in a pretty transparent, democratic manner. Majority rules.

I can understand not wanting this stuff (I don't either), but making out "the corps" to be victims of anything is really nonsensical.

I guess they are now.

Cool.

So, this means we can literally field:

1 lead singer (miked)

1 drum set

1 bass guitar

1 lead guitar

1 rhythm guitar

1 synth

. . .with 144 color guard members.

Man, this will totally make things easier to clean.

To hell with contras . . .get rid of the whole hornline and battery!

That, my friend, is progress. :rolleyes:

next year, the fight between the new kids and the old timers is gonna be...

Well, my Motley Crue/Ratt drum corps is better than your Three Days Grace/Buckcherry drum corps!! HAIRBANDS HAIRBANDS!!!!

SOYLENT GREEN IS PEOPLE!!!!!!!!!!

IT'S PEOPLE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

:rolleyes:

Hey, there's Spirit's 2011 show: they can have a Charlton Heston character and everything!

Sometimes, the ideas just write themselves.

Folks, the fact that I'm screaming into the darkness is somewhat disheartening (along with several others), but this is not an issue of taste. There is a fundamental issue at stake, and that is the integrity of drum corps to be what it is. (emphasis added).

Good Question!

What is Drum Corps? Define it. Is it what people who marched in the 70's, say it is? how bout even before DCI was formed? Or is what people who marched in the 2000's say it is?

Not your opinion, but really what is it?