Would you really leave the activity

Would you leave the activity if woodwinds were added?  

357 members have voted

1. 1. Would you leave the activity if woodwinds were added?

• Yes, drum corps as I loved it would no longer exist
    • No, I love this activity way too much to leave it

Good question. The first time I heard singing on the field I threw up a little in my mouth, (that was the one that I thought would kill drum corps) but it didn't and I still went. And over the years there has been many, many changes that I truely hate that I thought would kill corps, but it didn't.

But.......I make a point every year to get to know a few of the marching members and they work every bit as hard, if not harder than we did in the 70's when DCI was in its infancy. Also, they are getting the same benifits that we did from being in corps. Lifetime friends and memories.....and that is what is most important.

So, I guess no matter what, it's something that is my DNA that I would have a hard time ignoring.

• Replies 499
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I agree...unlike the changes made to date...I don't recall the director's caucus looking for WW...let alone the voting directors. They are a long way away.

I remember Hoppy bringing up saxes before. Don't remeber if a proposal was introduced or not? A little help please? Anyone?

Some of us, including myself, fell in love with the sound that drums and horns alone make. If that sound no longer exists DC would be less entertaining to those people.

I don't go to WC shows becaus I don't find talking and amps entertaining. I gave it a listen twice and decided I could find more entrtaining things to do. Irony is I took a 10 year break from DC in the 1990s and it wasn't as hard as I thought. In fact after the first summer, I really didin't miss it at all.

And don't forgoet not everyone who enjoys DC also enjoys MB, which is what DC would sound like.

:tongue::blink::smile::blink::smile::smile::worthy::worthy::worthy::worthy::worthy::glare::blink::glare::smile::worthy::worthy:

Good question. The first time I heard singing on the field I threw up a little in my mouth, (that was the one that I thought would kill drum corps)

Curious as to when this was? Before or after amplification was used?

I'd be gone in a New York minute.

I remember Hoppy bringing up saxes before. Don't remeber if a proposal was introduced or not? A little help please? Anyone?

Yes, in my memory, I think he did introduce a rule change proposal on allowing at least one solo saxophone, at least one Rules Congress. He either withdrew the proposal before the vote, or it was defeated in a lopsided vote. Saxophones have not come close to being legally introduced to DCI. Again, this is my memory and I welcome any corrections.

Yes, in my memory, I think he did introduce a rule change proposal on allowing at least one solo saxophone, at least one Rules Congress. He either withdrew the proposal before the vote, or it was defeated in a lopsided vote. Saxophones have not come close to being legally introduced to DCI. Again, this is my memory and I welcome any corrections.

Ah, but this is allowed now...the EWC:

Yamaha WX5

yamaha_wx5_%20.jpg

and no, I would not leave, I would just tailgate longer. If you want old style drum corps, go check out alumni corps. You can see different corps from different decades, from '50s style like Preston Scout House all the way to the '70/ '80s style Bridgemen.

I'd leave DCI. I'd then try to go to DCA unless they added WW. If all of drum corps turned into marching bands I wouldn't be going to drum corps shows anymore, I'd be going to band shows. I get enough of those in the fall.

And I'm a band person as much as the next guy

This would be an interesting change to the demise of DCI. Most corps would go to DCA and DCI would slowly merge in with BOA for an off season educational voyage. Hate to think of what would happen with the video vault of the junior corps moving out of DCI and how to obtain old video and audio. Legal stuff takes years.

But, you add woodwinds I am gone. They haven't been needed in the 31 years I have followed the activity. We just need to get back to some lower placed top 12 corps that have an identity again and not all play music that you could switch uniforms on them and not know who they are.

Out.