2009 Rankings

On the DCI website.

DCI Scores

Interresting the score was published. Kilties were "Acknowledged and thanked" during announcement of scores.

Some screwballs behind me were convinced the score was withheld because there was no DM representation. That is not true at all.

There was no representation at the end of the show because The Kilties had to rush off to do a MACBDA band show.

BTW: Three biggest crowd responses were for Phantom, Madison and Kilties. Crowd LOVED when Kilties rushed the stands. That was LOUD.

I'm sure you would agree that a score carries squishy meaning out here in the midwest with just one all-age corps at a DCI show (but I have faith in the number given the quality adjudication slate).

In my biased opinion, this hornline is as good/better than any we have finished the season with. More great arranging by Rick Kirby (brass) and Jeff Moore (percussion). Tim Hummel, a snare last year (a school band director that is marching/instructing) has done wonders with the front ensemble. There are young ladies (high school) on tenor and snare that will impress. Serious chops. Fewer contras than last year, but still powerful enough that I watch Spirit and Scouts and can't figure out why they need electronic bass. But that's a whole different nut, eh?

Edited by dannyboy

• Replies 672
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hummel is doing frontline? Awesome!

I think it's in everyone's best interest to sever this tangent right now. A random person making a random comment about their OWN PERSONAL OPINION is no excuse to bash or otherwise tear down any corps. Let's get this back on track, 2009 Rankings.

Thanks.

Was never meant to bash Renegades. They of course bring much to the table...as does every other DCA corps. But hell...if this poster wants to believe in the Easter Bunny or Santa Claus, who are we to rain on his parade?

Original post is updated

Open Class:

1 - 77.525 Hurricanes (Bridgeport, CT 6/27)

2 - 77.375 Minnesota Brass (Mankato, MN 6/22) +4.250

3 - 76.438 Buccaneers (Wildwood, NJ 06/20)

4 - 75.900 Caballeros (Bridgeport, CT 6/27) +3.187

5 - 72.863 Renegades (Stockton, CA 6/28) +0.475

6 - 70.375 Kilties (Madison, WI 6/28)

7 - 70.363 CorpsVets (Bridgeport, CT 6/27)

8 - 68.400 Bushwackers (Bridgeport, CT 6/27) +3.025

9 - 60.913 Crusaders (Bridgeport, CT 6/27)

10- Alliance

10- Brigadiers

10- Empire Statesmen

10- Music City Legend

Class A:

1 - 65.500 Govenaires (Mankato, MN 6/22) +1.750

*2- 60.000 SoCal Dream (Riverside, CA 6/21) +1.750

3 - 58.650(1.0) Carolina Gold (Wildwood, NJ 06/20)

*4- 56.625 Kingsmen Sr (Riverside, CA 6/21)

5 - Austin Stars

5 - Excelsior

5 - Fusion Core

5 - Grenadiers

5 - Lakeshoremen

5 - Shenandoah Sound

5 - Sun Devils

5 - Sunrisers

5 - Vigilantes

5 - White Sabers

* - Not coming to championships

Sorry, I got my wires crossed - Kingsmen were evaluated by DCI, not DCA.

Edited by GuyW

It's humorous to see how much back and forth and "almost arguing" is going on based on a completely bogus ranking list based on scores from 2 weeks of competition in several different regions of the country. The scoring of the senior corps in a junior show will be assigned proportionally to the other corps in the show, unless they are using DCA sheets and then you will see unusual jumps or placements. Feel free to argue why this does not happen, but it does.

That same list has the Blue Devils in first place. I don't have a problem with this, but they have not competed against any other corps yet, so it is a bit unrealistic. The Cadets, Crown and others have been, so their placements may be a bit more realistic.

The ranking system based on recent score is not realistic for DCA and should be taken as that only. The Buccaneers and Minnesota Brass have not competed in a week, so there is no way to realistically compare them to each other or to any of the other corps in the circuit.

<back to your regularly scheduled banter>

Since DCA is not televised, and we don't get to see shows in our area on a regurlar basis, Reviews and comparing of scores are about the only way for most fans to keep up (and enjoy) what is a competitive activity.

Sure... none of it is absolutely comparable except when all are on the field on the same day with the same panel. But, of course, there is going to be discussion about what the scores mean. And they DO mean something.

But, anyway...THANKS to Spandy and all of those who provide us the scores and reviews, so we have something to discuss and imagine, as the season progresses!

Edited by brassomaniac

Interresting the score was published. Kilties were "Acknowledged and thanked" during announcement of scores.

Some screwballs behind me were convinced the score was withheld because there was no DM representation. That is not true at all.

There was no representation at the end of the show because The Kilties had to rush off to do a MACBDA band show.

BTW: Three biggest crowd responses were for Phantom, Madison and Kilties. Crowd LOVED when Kilties rushed the stands. That was LOUD.

I'm sure you would agree that a score carries squishy meaning out here in the midwest with just one all-age corps at a DCI show (but I have faith in the number given the quality adjudication slate) -- but for what it is worth (how you might interpret the number), some members and staff felt they were "on fire" the previous night (Racine Raiders Football half time show - in the rain) and "rocked" again at the MACBDA band show a few hours after the Madison show. So, while the Madison performance was "very good" - most would agree the night before and a few hours later were better.

In my biased opinion, this hornline is as good/better than any we have finished the season with. More great arranging by Rick Kirby (brass) and Jeff Moore (percussion). Tim Hummel, a snare last year (a school band director that is marching/instructing) has done wonders with the front ensemble. There are young ladies (high school) on tenor and snare that will impress. Serious chops. Fewer contras than last year, but still powerful enough that I watch Spirit and Scouts and can't figure out why they need electronic bass. But that's a whole different nut, eh?

For whatever early season scores are worth, (especially in the midwest) Kilties have a right to enjoy the present company they are keeping scorewise. This is definitely a positive tweaking to the 08 Renaissance show concept and what strikes me most ( altho I am knocking on wood as I say this) is that the leadership of Scott Stewart is beginning to pay off particularly in the performance psychology of this corps which has a bit of a reputation for leaving its best performances on the practice fields and going deer-in-the-headlights for shows. Clearly me not being there is an improvement! Stewart had his "orientation year" in 08 and now I expect he will work his well known magic on this organization.

Come DCA time, I believe that crowds will be mightly entertained by the corps whatever their finish.