Wow,some of you have the Cavaliers in 4th or 5th place?

I don't think it's the arrangements as much as it's about their (Cavaliers) decision to play it safe. They just look and sound unemotional. The drum corps genre is about stretching, and extending. Part of the reason Drum Corps is popular is because they play higher, louder, march faster, drum more notes, throw equipment higher, etc, all while pulling at your heart string AND connecting. Right now, the Sharks and the Jets are making Hansel look like he's in the wrong neighborhood. But look, the Cavaliers have some of the best in the business on their staff, so lets not count them out.

It's also about " Execution". I havn't seen the Cavaliers yet, so I'll have to defer to others on this, but the Cavaliers usually have a great visual show and an outstanding guard. They might get a bump in their score once we have the full slate of judges plus adding the Color Guard Caption and Color Guard judge to the scoring.

' Just something to consider anyway.

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

It's also about " Execution". I havn't seen the Cavaliers yet, so I'll have to defer to others on this, but the Cavaliers usually have a great visual show and an outstanding guard. They might get a bump in their score once we have the full slate of judges plus adding the Color Guard Caption and Color Guard judge to the scoring.

' Just something to consider anyway.

If you look at the recaps from last night, Cavies won visual. From my seat, I think that was deserved. I believe Crown has more potential in their show, and they totally deserved the win in the Music captions, but their visual was a little loose and wild.

That being said, Cavies' guard isn't all that special this year. I don't know if it's a case of too early in the season or we've seen the same thing for 10 years but they're relying on the same formula while Crown is really pushing into new territory.

I think it is very possible for Cavies to take a 4th place or so. Not because they are bad but because the others are just that good. I was at the show as well last night and all the corps placed correctly IMO for that show. I must say that Cavies guard was BY FAR the best in a very good field and that may make a difference also once those guard scores start getting tabulated.

Just watched the Cavies on demand.

I can see where some might think the show is a little boring, but I really like it. Not sure if the Adams tune works as a closer, and I really wish they'd have used more Extreme Make-over. But otherwise, I think it's a great show...

It is tough to say... the video from Normal is not particularly stellar

My DCI Predictions for 2009 would DEFINITELY put Cavies in 4th or 5th...

PREDICTIONS for 2009

1. Carolina Crown - High Brass

2. Holy Name - GE

3. Blue Devils (no awards)

4. Cavies - M&M

5. Phantom Regiment - Perc

6. Santa Clara Vanguard

7. Blue Coats

8. Boston Crusader

9. Blue Stars (most sewing machines award)

10. Blue Knights

11. Glassmen

12. Madison Scouts

4th or 5th is certainly possible.

Cavies has a good program this year. It is an irony that their problem is their distinctive characters, mostly its high visual demands.

While I could see Cavies fans angry at some DCP members' prediction of them finishing fifth place, it is not as outrageous as people predicting Vanguard finishing 8th place behind Blue Stars.

well, that's just my opinion.

My DCI Predictions for 2009 would DEFINITELY put Cavies in 4th or 5th...

PREDICTIONS for 2009

1. Carolina Crown - High Brass

2. Holy Name - GE

3. Blue Devils (no awards)

4. Cavies - M&M

5. Phantom Regiment - Perc

6. Santa Clara Vanguard

7. Blue Coats

8. Boston Crusader

9. Blue Stars (most sewing machines award)

10. Blue Knights

11. Glassmen

12. Madison Scouts

I'd dispute the "no awards" on #3.

BD is definitely going to take the guard trophy, which you hadn't mentioned.

And I don't see Crown keeping up the steam to stave off BD and the Cadets for an entire season, to be honest. These are two powerhouse shows from design teams that know how the work the home stretch.

And I don't see Crown keeping up the steam to stave off BD and the Cadets for an entire season, to be honest. These are two powerhouse shows from design teams that know how the work the home stretch.

By that argument, Crown will never win until they've proved they can win.

There's no guarantee that Crown will be able to stay that high for the rest of the season, but there's tons of room to max out the show. The story needs tons of work, which will affect the entire production.

And I can't WAIT to see what they do with it. Same with Cadets and BD and SCV and Troopers and...