BD wins it

Phantom, SCV.... same every year. Loud in your face openers, pretty ballads, loud in your face closers.

:thumbdown: I take it you haven't seen SCV's show yet this year?

• Replies 173
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

:thumbdown: I take it you haven't seen SCV's show yet this year?

I agree...definitely not loud and in your face during the opener. They do have a fantastic OMG moment during the Shaker Hymn towards the end...and that is definitely worth the loud and in your face moment, but then the show ended rather quietly. Nice show musically. Great arrangement of Copeland.

I agree...definitely not loud and in your face during the opener. They do have a fantastic OMG moment during the Shaker Hymn towards the end...and that is definitely worth the loud and in your face moment, but then the show ended rather quietly. Nice show musically. Great arrangement of Copeland.

Go find a recording of "Appalachian Spring". It ends softly. Much has been written already about Key wanting to be true to the original for his arrangement. Come to think of it, SCV ended their show softly in 1983, too. What was the closer? Three guesses, and the first two don't count.

Regarding stagnation, nobody can deny the performance levels and talent of the corps members of BD and Cavaliers. The complaint is more about what they're given to perform. Case in point: Wayne Downey. Great guy with an amazing track record. I remember when he wrote stuff with a melodic line that lasted more than 10 seconds. Lately it seems to be a snippet here and there tied together with "Wayne Downey's Greatest Riffs".

The thing is, I think he's still got "it". I think he could arrange some smooth melodic lines, just like all of the 80's and most of the 90's. If they are to win another championship and another brass title, I'd like to see them win it musically. They can always contend from a technical standpoint. What if they had both? I'm not saying go back in the vault, dust off an old chart, and modernize it. Just revisit complete musical themes, whatever the source material.

BD isn't the only one who have sacrificed musical line for technical brilliance, either. It's just that I've been watching them since their first-ever public performance as a drum and bugle corps, so I have that 39-year history of observing them as a competitor (both as a member and instructor) and a drum corps fan.

While I have no doubt that they will be in the hunt, I'd prefer to see a corps win with great technique selling music with some continuity. Sure, it's tough to do in 10+ minutes, but it's been done before. Do it again.

Garry in Vegas

PS As opposed to DCI standards, a "win" in Las Vegas will come more as a popularity contest. Think drum corps meets Dancing With the Stars. Part expert judges, part stuffing the ballot box..or phone bank in this case.

Edited by CrunchyTenor

That's all good and well and I won't disagree with you, but I'm not really sure how this is relevant to the discussion.

As to what corps members think of these posts? It gives them something to laugh about on the bus and nothing more. I've been there, and when you're on tour DCP is hard to take too seriously.

And Plan9, we're talking about design stagnation, not performance stagnation. BD almost never lacks in performance, but design?

I'm not sure how the part that I bolded is relevant to the discussion, either, yet there it is. I would hope nobody takes anything said on here too seriously, and I'm only too happy to provide laughs for kids touring. It's nice to know that even though you laughed so much at it in the past, you're willing to come on and provide some laughable posts as well.

The Cavies also almost never lack in performance. But design?

At any rate, it's way too early to say that anbyody will win anything with any certainty. I'm looking forward to seeing all of the finished products, because right now, I'm not onboard with many, including BD's.

And as long as I'm being honest, BD was my first favorite corps when I discovered the activity 11 years ago. I bought a BD Hornline t-shirt after seeing them live in '99 (what a great show), and though it took a while to grow on me, I love the 2000 show as well. But they lost me in 2001. Aside from some moments in 2004, I haven't enjoyed a BD show since 2000. All corps with design staff consistency will develop a niche within which they will design their shows (and the Cavaliers are certainly no exception), and I just happen to not like BD's current niche. I would very saddened if BD did win this year, as I think other corps are doing more for the progression of the activity, and I don't want to see stagnant design rewarded.

Creepy. I'm probably a little more fond of the corps over the past decade than that - I thought 2004 was terrific and loved the first half of 2007 - and I bought a BD CD instead of a t-shirt, but the rest of that paragraph parallels my drum corps experience pretty closely.

You are sadly mistakin, I took a nap watchin BD's, never happened before... and if you look at the scores crown is destroying everyone on every level, :worthy: And our 2009 DCI world champion isssss......... CAROLINA CROWN!

You are sadly mistakin, I took a nap watchin BD's, never happened before... and if you look at the scores crown is destroying everyone on every level, :worthy: And our 2009 DCI world champion isssss......... CAROLINA CROWN!

I wouldn't be too sure about that. I like Crown this year too, but like the slave used to whisper in the roman conqueror's ear "remember you are mortal and all glory is fleeting".

Sorry but they are levels above the rest at this point. Close it if you want. But it is done.

No, INT is going to take it this year, I have seen it.

/thread

It's over on finals night when second place is announced and not a second before.

Or when they announce the tie.... :worthy:

:worthy: I take it you haven't seen SCV's show yet this year?

Even 2008 was loud in your face opener, REALLY loud in your face 2nd mvt., pretty ballad. In that order.

Blue Devils undefeated streak will come to an END on Monday night in Las Vegas!

You heard it here first. :worthy:

doesnt the Las Vegas show have some text message voting thing that will be factored into the scoring? It isnt a real dci sanctioned show..so those results wont really mean anything of importance when it comes down to August

IMO if Blue Devils and Bluecoats dont end up as the top 2 corps it will prove that the whole system is a joke

Edited by dbg