Electronics.

Get rid of them. Take the mics too. I'll be back in the stands in a heartbeat.

I can live with amping the pit although I don't see the need for it.

So you are not going to any shows this year?

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Get rid of them. Take the mics too. I'll be back in the stands in a heartbeat.

I can live with amping the pit although I don't see the need for it.

Not a pit guy, huh?

Anyway, electronics (melody-wise) are utilized by the pit writer, while electronics (sound effect-wise) are utilized by the corps show designers. At least, that's what I've seen this year.

Not a pit guy, huh?

I never played in the pit, if that's what you mean. If you are hinting that I hate the pit, no, that's not correct. I just never thought it needed amplification because it was loud enough already. Sometimes *too* loud, even without amps.

So, without causing a DCP civil war were the "new age" and "old school" worlds collide in tacky, negative debate, I'm curious as to everyone's thoughts on the electronic path we've taken (and I say "we" cause we're all still corps' family regardless).

I've seen it used in almost every corps so far, some doing a great job with it & other almost embarrasing themselves because of it's poor use.

Now where do we go? Like Bands of America will it take several years before it begins to become effective and a strength for these programs, or should the rule be re-thought and possibly gotten rid of all together, again?

I, personally, have been a complete supporter of electronics and the ability they have to help strengthen the over-all effect & sound of a group. However, as of right now at 04:05:06, 7-8-09 (pretty cool huh?...wont happen again till 3009!) anyways, as of now I'll admit some re-thinking should be done or the rule should be put to bed.

Drum corps just wasn't designed to have a psedo-indy rock band on the front sideline?! (Sorry Teal Sound) but really....just seems a bit much, however curvilinear drill was a "bit much" not too long ago also?!

*Again, let's not bash each other about the negative, what are your thoughts to adapt the rule, or just say "get rid of it" if you want it gone (almost a poll with an opinion.)*

Im just a high school kid so I guess my opinion formed on how I was taught, but I personally call myself a traditionist, I like just marching a hornline, and good guard, (good looking guard is also a + :tongue: ) I agree that all these rock bands are horrible and takes away from what a corp really is. Im not a big fan of all these props I like flags, sabers, rifles, all that stuff, but a prop doesnt make you march or play better than the other guy, now on the electronics I have to disagree, I can see where it would be good, but I still dont like it because it takes away from actually playing. Now vocals my bigest pet peeve, I dont mind a shout or unison like everyone shouts VANGUARD, dont mind that but I dislike just plain talking, bluecoats did a good job with it but I still didnt like it. I just like straight up marching and playing with guard doin guard stuff.

It would restore my faith in the wisdom of today's youth to a great extent if they decided to keep drum corps an acoustic medium. PULL THE PLUG!

Im just a high school kid so I guess my opinion formed on how I was taught, but I personally call myself a traditionist, I like just marching a hornline, and good guard, (good looking guard is also a + :tongue: ) I agree that all these rock bands are horrible and takes away from what a corp really is. Im not a big fan of all these props I like flags, sabers, rifles, all that stuff, but a prop doesnt make you march or play better than the other guy, now on the electronics I have to disagree, I can see where it would be good, but I still dont like it because it takes away from actually playing. Now vocals my bigest pet peeve, I dont mind a shout or unison like everyone shouts VANGUARD, dont mind that but I dislike just plain talking, bluecoats did a good job with it but I still didnt like it. I just like straight up marching and playing with guard doin guard stuff.

This guy gets it.

It would restore my faith in the wisdom of today's youth to a great extent if they decided to keep drum corps an acoustic medium. PULL THE PLUG!

That is a pretty silly statement since today's youth have no control over the rules

I have tried to keep an open mind about this particular issue, and I've only seen one live show so far (June 23 at Rio Rancho, NM). I will be seeing several shows next week. I've watched several on the Fan Network. Here are my comments, now that you have that context:

1. SCV's push at the end: the synth is not necessary. They could eliminate the bass-hyped synth and do it all acoustic and the crowd would STILL go nuts. Maybe MORE nuts.

2. Some synth sounds are so anachronistic and out of place that they distract me from the rest of the ensemble while they're being used. The wind sounds for BK and Academy both had that effect on me - I bet they could have found an even more effective means of producing that sound with acoustic means, especially with amped pit already in place.

3. Some shows have synths that are fairly innocuous or downright inaudible. This begs the question: why have them? I assume they have them right now because designers want to make sure they've got one and don't have to hear "your show would be more effective if you used a synth here like CorpsX" from a judge. It's easier to take it out than it is to add it in at this point.

Particularly in regard to #3, my dire hope is that synths will go the way of narration: not everyone narrates, and that leaves room for effective narration in a SMALL handful of shows. If designers believe that eliminating electronic sound production won't negatively impact scores, then we'll see fewer synths in the next few years. If they get the message that synths=points (like amped pit or Bb horns), then we're in it for the long haul.

I have tried to keep an open mind about this particular issue, and I've only seen one live show so far (June 23 at Rio Rancho, NM). I will be seeing several shows next week. I've watched several on the Fan Network. Here are my comments, now that you have that context:

1. SCV's push at the end: the synth is not necessary. They could eliminate the bass-hyped synth and do it all acoustic and the crowd would STILL go nuts. Maybe MORE nuts.

2. Some synth sounds are so anachronistic and out of place that they distract me from the rest of the ensemble while they're being used. The wind sounds for BK and Academy both had that effect on me - I bet they could have found an even more effective means of producing that sound with acoustic means, especially with amped pit already in place.

3. Some shows have synths that are fairly innocuous or downright inaudible. This begs the question: why have them? I assume they have them right now because designers want to make sure they've got one and don't have to hear "your show would be more effective if you used a synth here like CorpsX" from a judge. It's easier to take it out than it is to add it in at this point.

Particularly in regard to #3, my dire hope is that synths will go the way of narration: not everyone narrates, and that leaves room for effective narration in a SMALL handful of shows. If designers believe that eliminating electronic sound production won't negatively impact scores, then we'll see fewer synths in the next few years. If they get the message that synths=points (like amped pit or Bb horns), then we're in it for the long haul.

Brilliantly stated. Ditto on all three.

And to answer the original question, no, I would personally get rid of synths. They add nothing to the activity that I felt was missing.

I say get rid of them. I didn't want them in the first place but I seem to be having the same reaction as most other people.

1) Some corps are using them poorly and thus give the sense that this was a bad idea.

2) When they are used "effectively" they seem to be in a supportive way. Take it or leave it with some corps because most of them don't need it.

3) The majority of the time the synths blend in to the overall ensemble and thus you can't hear them. I guess that is a good thing in my mind but this begs the question, if you can't hear the synths then why bother having them?

/bad grammar off.