Phantom has the best mello line year in and year out IMO.

Cavies usally have the 2nd best mello line every year.....for what its worth.

Maybe it is my bias, but I can remember before I even started marching that when someone mentioned a great mello line, my mind automatically went to Cadets (if nothing else for their sick runs while maintaining good tone). But hey, that's the great thing about this activity....you can like whoever you want for whatever reason you want!

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Maybe it is my bias, but I can remember before I even started marching that when someone mentioned a great mello line, my mind automatically went to Cadets (if nothing else for their sick runs while maintaining good tone). But hey, that's the great thing about this activity....you can like whoever you want for whatever reason you want!

Stated perfectly.

Oh I agree...for the longest time it seemed while other corps were hosing their middle books, Cadets just added more mello runs!

I don't know much about PR 2007 except for a single comment on it from a friend who marched that year.

"That book was ####### hard."

Great show - GREAT MUSIC - fantastically arranged in brass/perc -- the prob was the theme and how they used it. Someone stated the indian/burd theme? Guard costuimes- props? I totall agree. That was the only thing in that 11 minutes that didn't "click". Personally. the show was "On Air" - not birds of a feather... for the "Flower Duet" -- gee, use a motif of a leaf falling, use forms that depict a leaf in the breeze.... or floating on the wind, use large white silks moving in opposite directions to give the effect of clouds.... AND for the ending use the 'bird' theme in a way that would have depicted the 'bird' for which the piece of music was named--- "Firebird" !

The ending was great with the running jazz line and the never ending mello note on one note for like what 23 bts? But that theme and it's dissarray was a big detractor from the overall placement (IMHO) and, ironically, judges felt the same!

This was the same for me, too, but I think it's mostly because of the great 90s (and '00-'01) Cadet mello lines. I'm not saying they aren't still great, but as I think through '02-'08 Cadet shows no mellophone moments stick out to me.

Back OT, thanks to Phantom '07 I can't see that Ghirardelli commercial without thinking of drum corps. Good musical show, as other have stated, but I think this show is doomed to be overshadowed by '06 and '08 for the rest of time.

This was the same for me, too, but I think it's mostly because of the great 90s (and '00-'01) Cadet mello lines. I'm not saying they aren't still great, but as I think through '02-'08 Cadet shows no mellophone moments stick out to me.

Dude, that mello lick in 08 Phantom was killer.

You know the one, during The Pursuit, starts out as a box, with a line in the middle of it and becomes unfolding circles, right after the little percussion break where the 2nd mellos have that little dotted quarter, eighth, 2 sixteenth, dotted quarter rhythmic pattern while the firsts and this tearing, forcefully, beautiful upward-moving ornament on the neapolitan root (bII)

Good God, if there is war music in heaven, I want it to sound like Phantom 08. :tongue:

Well Cadets are probably 3rd in my mind though they have some wicked stuff going on typically. 2000 still remains one of my favorite shows in terms of mello parts.

But anyway, Phantom '07 was a sweet show.

One last thing I thought of, and I don't think it's been covered in this thread yet...

2007 Phantom had some of the greatest drum shells of all-time. The finish and color were just amazing.