Why won't DCI let us watch finals LIVE?

Didnt read the whole thread because its become quite lengthy, but thought before even seeing this thread was why not a standard PPV just like you see with boxing and wrestling. If youre going to offer a broadcast, why limit it to a crappy webcast...put it on real television. Better quality broadcast and you can charge more ($50 maybe?). Not like people arent going to invite their friends over to make it cheaper, and $50 is enough that DCI would make money off of it.

Another possibility: do the webcast, but make it only available to those who have preordered DVDs. Then more people will preorder the DVDs and pay the early price rather than waiting to get it half off the next summer.

Off topic I know, but...if the corps are making royalties off the DVDs/CDs, wouldnt it be helpful if DCI actually made all of these products available? It looks like they basically get a couple of batches made, and when that runs out, they are gone forever. For example, in their online store, you can no longer purchase CDs from 2000, 2004, 2005, 2007, or anything before 1999. Why?

Please please please read the entire thread next time. All of your questions will be answered....

• Replies 131
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I recently subscribed to Fan Network; not because of the webcasts, but basically so I would get a chance to see/hear all the shows before Finals week (we only have a couple of shows locally). I watched the webcast from Atlanta this past weekend-trust me, there is no comparison between the webcast and being there. I would still travel to Finals every year to enjoy the performance live. However, if circumstances prevented me from being able to go to Finals, I would gladly pay to watch a webcast. I would also continue to buy the DVD's-there really is no comparison between watching the webcast on my laptop and watching a DVD performance on my 42" plasma with surround sound. If doing a "live" webcast is a concern, why not do a PPV webcast on delay? Make it available anywhere from the next day to a week later and you'll still get a healthy audience...especially if there was a surprise shake-up in scores/placements.

Didnt read the whole thread because its become quite lengthy, but thought before even seeing this thread was why not a standard PPV just like you see with boxing and wrestling. If youre going to offer a broadcast, why limit it to a crappy webcast...put it on real television. Better quality broadcast and you can charge more ($50 maybe?). Not like people arent going to invite their friends over to make it cheaper, and $50 is enough that DCI would make money off of it.

Another possibility: do the webcast, but make it only available to those who have preordered DVDs. Then more people will preorder the DVDs and pay the early price rather than waiting to get it half off the next summer.

Off topic I know, but...if the corps are making royalties off the DVDs/CDs, wouldnt it be helpful if DCI actually made all of these products available? It looks like they basically get a couple of batches made, and when that runs out, they are gone forever. For example, in their online store, you can no longer purchase CDs from 2000, 2004, 2005, 2007, or anything before 1999. Why?

you have to have enough buys to make it profitable. WWE does anywhere from 250k to a million for a pay perview. TNA, their largest competitor barely does 25k on PPV, and they had to resort to holding their PPV's in a place where they dont have to sell tickets to it, so they make a profit.

DCI would get maybe 25k. In an industry such as PPV, they want a track record, and they want to know how many buys to expect. Since the cable companies get upwards of 60% of the fees, with production costs, DCI could lose their ##### trying it.

you have to have enough buys to make it profitable. WWE does anywhere from 250k to a million for a pay perview. TNA, their largest competitor barely does 25k on PPV, and they had to resort to holding their PPV's in a place where they dont have to sell tickets to it, so they make a profit.

DCI would get maybe 25k. In an industry such as PPV, they want a track record, and they want to know how many buys to expect. Since the cable companies get upwards of 60% of the fees, with production costs, DCI could lose their ##### trying it.

I'd make the finals broadcast available only to High School music programs for a nominal fee. The high school must show the program on their premises and can charge whatever they'd like for admission and use it as a fund-raiser.

DCI reaches their target audience -- fans of and participants in HS band programs

HS kids get to see the their activity at it's highest level

Drum corps reach their recruiting base directly.

Music programs can make some $$ by attracting local DCI fans to their showing.

There's no lost revenue because those kids and parents weren't going to Indy or buying DVDs to begin with (although after seeing the webcast maybe they will change their minds next year)

I'd make the finals broadcast available only to High School music programs for a nominal fee. The high school must show the program on their premises and can charge whatever they'd like for admission and use it as a fund-raiser.

DCI reaches their target audience -- fans of and participants in HS band programs

Music programs can make some $ by attracting local DCI fans to their showing.

There's no lost revenue because those kids and parents weren't going to Indy or buying DVDs to begin with (although after seeing the webcast maybe they will change their minds next year)

The music industry wouldn't make a distinction, tho.....a paying audience is still a paying audience. If they got wind of it, they could sue for damages.

However, to build on your idea....if it could be done in a theater and use THAT as a fund raiser, you wouldn't have to restrict it to HS kids (in fact, doing so would probably cut your financial throat).

There would be legal and logistical hurdles to overcome, but I would think it;d be easier in that situation than doing it in a HS band room.

Edited by 84BDsop

Music programs can make some $ by attracting local DCI fans to their showing.

well the cost for the school to show it has to be steep...think of satelitte costs....was it 93 they showed it as ppv to some hotels etc?

then the cost of advertising in a school. no offense, but a lot of die hards may not want to sit in a high school auditorium with a gaggle of high school kids to see the show.

well the cost for the school to show it has to be steep...think of satelitte costs....was it 93 they showed it as ppv to some hotels etc?

then the cost of advertising in a school. no offense, but a lot of die hards may not want to sit in a high school auditorium with a gaggle of high school kids to see the show.

That's why I was suggesting a local theater....think of the fundraising the Canadian corps could do. I STILL don't think they get the quarters broadcast.

Which kinda begs the question.....would projection off a DVD be clear enough for a movie theater screen?? What if DCI were to allow showings of finals in theaters off an EARLY release of the DVD...say, 2 weeks or so?

Not only could that generate fundraising income, it might generate DVD sales because audience members would get a bit of a preview.

Those who are going to buy woulld've already ordered and paid by then, but those on the fence might decide to pay.

Edited by 84BDsop

Sorry I didn't' make myself clearer. Not PPV or TV -- just a web cast like they had in Denver. It becomes a marketing tool instead of a fundraiser. I understand why the Fan Network doesn't do finals -- too many folks would stay away from finals. But those same people probably will either (a) just watch semis or (b) go to theater for qtrs. So no *lost* income there. And the marketing value of all those HS band programs showing finals to their kids and parents make any costs involved worth it.

honestly, i dont think the fan network would dissaude anyone from going to finals. you can not beat being there live.

what will turn people off is the same site for 9 years, especially if the facility has sound issues with the roof closed. which, if this is the case, dci can jack up the price of the fan network

and Sam...i dont think you'd get the attendance for a dvd 2 weeks later that you would for a live show

I would gladly pay to watch a webcast. I would also continue to buy the DVD's-there really is no comparison between watching the webcast on my laptop and watching a DVD performance on my 42" plasma with surround sound.

You know you can plug your laptop output into your 42" plasma and watch the webcast on your big screen with surround sound