Show concepts

John, while everything you said is true, it holds just as true for the local model of drum corps. If there's not one in your neighborhood then you don't have that option either. Even assuming there were over 1000 corps spread across the country at the activity's peak, that's hardly enough to have given every youth in the country a chance to march close to home.

Very true. Which is why I am of the opinion that what ever direction the drum corps community goes in, it is the wrong one unless it fosters an atmosphere that is more conducive to the formation and survival of more corps, not fewer.

That is not to say that DCI or any other body should shoulder the blame for the decline in the number and diversity of corps. But, germane to this thread, trends in styles that make corps less appealing to the casual observer can't very well have a positive affect on the availability of programs for more youth.

It is great that some students have a chance to participate in great marching bands. It won't be great enough until every student that has a desire to do so has a chance.

• Replies 203
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Without going through every post, I must say I somewhat agree with the OP but with some variations.

I have been to 30 of the 36 DCI Championships (marched in 3) and many local Chicago shows..... which are few and far between these days.

Why do I go?

- To see friends I haven't seen since last year, or in many years

- To see incredible talent performing on the field

- To support the corps I love

- To support an activity that gave me so much

- To support an activity that provides an incredible opportunity for todays youth

See what's missing? I haven't enjoyed very many shows over the years because of what the judges and corps managers have allowed the shows to become. Am I entertained? Most of time no, but I keep coming back even though ticket prices are steep and crowds are becoming less respectful of other corps and their fans.

And to the person who questioned the loudness of hornlines back in the 70's, 60 person hornlines were commonplace back then. Look at the Fan Network archives. Also, the 60 man hornlines of the 70's blow away the 70 man hornlines of today...... purely on loudness, not on quality and intonation.

Edited by dc oldtimer

good question to explore.... well, in 1978, we had double digit interest rates ( compared to 5% today ), national unemployment rate ( currently at approx. 9.5% ) was higher, gas prices were much higher, taxes were higher, national consumer confidence index was lower, etc. The phrase used to describe this period of time economically was '"a national malaise " by the President at the time...... so, in a nutshell, potential fans in 1978 were more strapped for cash to attend shows........ as for 1968, the country was in turmoil culturally with a sea change taking place and the country was embroiled in war protests, city racial strife, and a war that was extremely divisive. So, the simple answer is that there were lots of reasons in both 1968 and in 1978 to expect few fans to be attending Drum Corps shows compared with 2008. But yet, more fans came out in both 1968 and 1978, than in 2008.

Even in economically hard times with people strapped for cash we seek out entertainment. We just look for less costly versions of entertainment. Was a drum corp show a good value 30 years ago compared to now? Could a family of four get in for under $20 total compared to $100+ now? Might the economic times have made drum corp MORE popular as a form of entertainment rather than less popular? Maybe instead of seeking out a more expensive concert, drum corp was an affordable alternative in hard times. Kind of like going to the county fair instead of an amusement park or camping locally rather than going on an expensive vacation?

Not trying to argue, trying to get educated by those who remember. Not sure that the direct correlation is as simple as "less entertainment= lower attendance." Another big factor has to be "higher costs of drum corp operation and show management= fewer corps and shows= lower overall attendance."

Are there fewer people at each show these days or just fewer shows due to rising costs? Did audiences dwindle to nothing before shows began disappearing or did corps fold so that shows also folded even though attendance was stable? What came first? Lower attendance? Fewer corps? Fewer shows?

Even in economically hard times with people strapped for cash we seek out entertainment. We just look for less costly versions of entertainment. Was a drum corp show a good value 30 years ago compared to now? Could a family of four get in for under $20 total compared to $100+ now? Might the economic times have made drum corp MORE popular as a form of entertainment rather than less popular? Maybe instead of seeking out a more expensive concert, drum corp was an affordable alternative in hard times. Kind of like going to the county fair instead of an amusement park or camping locally rather than going on an expensive vacation?

Not trying to argue, trying to get educated by those who remember. Not sure that the direct correlation is as simple as "less entertainment= lower attendance." Another big factor has to be "higher costs of drum corp operation and show management= fewer corps and shows= lower overall attendance."

Are there fewer people at each show these days or just fewer shows due to rising costs? Did audiences dwindle to nothing before shows began disappearing or did corps fold so that shows also folded even though attendance was stable? What came first? Lower attendance? Fewer corps? Fewer shows?

It is really difficult to compare attendance from the past with the present. I don’t know of anyone who has produced attendance figures for “everyday” shows then or now.

As for cost to attend, back in the day $20 might have covered tickets, gas, and a soda for a family of four. Really. ($0.35 cents a gallon goes a long way).

I can say something about the cost of running shows. I live in an area with some successful band programs. Spirit of Atlanta recruited guard from the local high school and they have sent brass and drums to several corps over the years. The high school has, on occasion, run a DCI show. But not recently. I talked to an involved band parent as to why they have not run a show, and, as you might expect, it’s economics. Not enough return for the investment. By investment, I’m talking money and effort. Bake sales, parent busses to band contests, souvenir sales, and the home show all generate more money with less effort.

Disclaimer: Speaking for what I saw with the local Sr shows while I marched and slightly after.

Killer was rising expenses that cut into the profit margin of the show. Show sponsors could only raise ticket prices so far before attendance would start falling off. The places where the shows were located did not have that many people living nearby which cut into possible number of warm bodies that could attend. If the show was sponsored by the local corps, this killed the big money raiser for the year. Add in the double whammie of higher costs of running the corps. If the show wasn't sponsored by a corps (fire dept, service organization, etc), that group hopefully found other fund raisers but still more shows bit the dust.

Edit: Spent half of my competing career in the "Not Ready For DCA" circuits (RCA and ICA). Saw a lot of places I have NO idea how to find again. :worthy:

Edited by JimF-3rdBari

Just a few more random thoughts to avoid going outside to shovel horse poop... With so many shows happening "back in the day" drum corp was a more convenient local form of entertainment vs. today.

Working people don't have time to hop in a car and drive all over the country to see shows that are few and far between. The cost of getting there and back quickly (ie flying) is too great for many of us to go to as many shows as we'd like.

And in 1968 and even 1978 more families were only juggling the vacation schedule of one working parent, not two. Lots of factors....

Just a few more random thoughts to avoid going outside to shovel horse poop... <snip>

You can always stay in front of the screen and shovel horse poop ...

[Disclaimer: Typed for entertainment purposes only. Any reference to real people is completely coincidental.]

You can always stay in front of the screen and shovel horse poop ...

[Disclaimer: Typed for entertainment purposes only. Any reference to real people is completely coincidental.]

:worthy: Why thank you!

Edited by anniem

Edit: Spent half of my competing career in the "Not Ready For DCA" circuits (RCA and ICA). Saw a lot of places I have NO idea how to find again. :worthy:

I competed DCA - I saw a lot of places I NEVER WANT to find again.... :worthy:

As for cost to attend, back in the day $20 might have covered tickets, gas, and a soda for a family of four. Really. ($0.35 cents a gallon goes a long way).

Yeah, it's not like inflation happened or anything.