Charleston, WV

What???

This is not "someone", it's a STAFF MEMBER, in the stands, on the 50 where I'm SURE he did not pay for a seat, trying to "add" to the corps show.

It's not spontaneous, it's not emotion, and that guy is not screaming out of nostalgia or some other rubbish. I go to corps shows to hear corps play, not to hear staff members scream from the stands.

I don't care if someone thinks I'm overreacting or not. I love Cadets show, and I've been a Cadets fan and a George Hopkins fan since the 80's. I'm angry about this.

That's called "RE-acting" to a yell, not "OVER overreacting." If anger is the crowd reaction Cadets are are going for they've got it.

Staff members need to stay out of the stands, and shut the hell up while their corps is performing.

I have to agree with you. A staff member yelling something and interupting the show is VERY unprofessional IMO. I hate it when anyone, staff or otherwise, yells during those tender and quiet moments in ballads. It completely ruins the mood and the moment.

• Replies 132
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

How is this any different from people yelling "VANGUARD"?

If you're bothered just because its a staff member, then I'll scream it. Will that make it better?

Edited by Wadep66

It's not a ******* concert hall. Make some noise. I always appreciate the applause when I'm on the field, and I'm sure many others do.

I know it's much different than a concert hall. I cheer and clap a lot during drum corps shows.

However, there are places in shows, mostly the ballads, where a different kind of mood is established. It's in those places that I find the yelling very annoying.

As for the Vanguard yell, I've done it but it's not usually in a ballad is it. It's in a grand pause right before a big hit where it fits.

Even though it's not a concert hall and a different kind of ettiquiette does exist, there are still places where the audience should be sensitive to the mood and emotion the corps has established and respond appropriately to that mood.

vanguard is good and im certainly glad to see them somewhat back in the mix this yr, and i say somewhat because i just cant see them cracking the top four with their percussion section performing the way they are. their percussion scores seem way to low for them to take away a spot from any of the groups in front of them< IMO

It's not a ******* concert hall. Make some noise. I always appreciate the applause when I'm on the field, and I'm sure many others do.

I applauded many times, all corps. I stood up three times for Cadets, twice for SCV, and at the end for PR.

So did everybody else at this great drum corps show.

How is this any different from people yelling "VANGUARD"?

The Vanguard yell is "people."

"HOLY NAME!!!" is by one person, purportedly a staffer. (thank you, Terri Troop for that important reminder of DCP reporting. :worthy: )

If you're bothered just because its a staff member, then I'll scream it. Will that make it better?

No.

I reacted to the idiot screaming. When I learned it was a supposedly a staff member, that made it worse.

But at the show, it was very annoying.

Even one of the band kids sitting near me (around the 40 near the top) after he heard the yell turned towards the source of the screaming and said with that lovely sarcastic smart-alec sound only teenagers can make, "shut up!"

Edited by wvu80

What???

This is not "someone", it's a STAFF MEMBER, in the stands, on the 50 where I'm SURE he did not pay for a seat, trying to "add" to the corps show.

It's not spontaneous, it's not emotion, and that guy is not screaming out of nostalgia or some other rubbish. I go to corps shows to hear corps play, not to hear staff members scream from the stands.

I don't care if someone thinks I'm overreacting or not. I love Cadets show, and I've been a Cadets fan and a George Hopkins fan since the 80's. I'm angry about this.

That's called "RE-acting" to a yell, not "OVER overreacting." If anger is the crowd reaction Cadets are are going for they've got it.

Staff members need to stay out of the stands, and shut the hell up while their corps is performing.

You have got to be kidding me. You're getting ###### off over THIS??!!! Geez, if you have a problem with someone screaming during a show (AND MANY PEOPLE SCREAM DURING SHOWS), then maybe you should consider watching drum corps from the comfort of your own home. It never ceases to amaze me how people go to a public event and complain when people don't have the same "standards" as they do. People are going to do what they want. I doubt there is much we can do to change that.

PLEASE can we find the IDIOT who screams "HOLY NAME" at EVERY FRIGGIN' show Cadets do right when they are playing backfield with the H-N-C form?

I hated it on the FN, but now we hear it in West Virginia, so this isn't an idiot from one local area. It came from near the press box right on the 50. SURELY there is no staff member from Cadets who is so stupid? Whoever this is, he really needs to shut up. It ruins a great moment from a great corps I suppose this idiot worships.

Note to person yelling "Holy Name!"

No need for you to do this in Indy ...

I will do it for you at Quarter-finals, Semi-finals and Finals.

HOLY NAME!

Here's a fun question; did you feel the same way when people yelled #$%^ at The Cadets in 06/07? Is it not okay for a staff member to yell "Holy Name" when they spell out HNC, but okay for the audience to tell Alice she's in Madison?