Quarterfinals on The Big Screen

Harrisburg had to open a 2nd screen. screen 2 lost picture then got moved to a different screen...the big room we're usually in. hey dumbasses...you know we bring a crowd. plan for it

• Replies 306
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Interesting all the comments about BD. Here are my impressions. They are cleaner, show is interesting, but definitely takes a more sophisticated viewer to understand and enjoy. They push the envelope with changes in 3 dimensions as well as the standard 2 dimensions. Vanguard has a beautiful sounding show, really nice, quite clean, easy to understand and a crowd pleaser especially for the first time viewer. HNC and Crown are crowd favourites, not a surprise given the location, and have good shows. But, I fully concur with the judging tonight. And, it seems somewhat hard to believe that the judges are that bad to give the show to BD, by a fairly large margin. As for finals, lots can happen, and I expect most on this forum to root against BD, but I for one, would like to see them win. Especially since both BD and BDB have yet to get beaten this year. However, in a human judged event, anything can happen.

I'll tell you what...I am not nor have I ever been what you would call a BD fan, but,,,,they kicked some blue butt tonight! They were absolutely fantastic. However, with that being said I wanted Crown to win and am a big Crown fan.

And this one time at band camp....

I mean to see those last 6 corps go on an tear it up seeing a 92, then a bunch of 95's, then low 96's, and BD to almost hit 98. WOW!

When the drill guy for BD mentioned someone was out tonight, It never dawned on me that the missing person probably moves a chair at some point in time and they literally have to change the show when that happens and it's happened alot - up to 12 people were out at various shows and they continued to score well and remain undefeated..simply amazing.

So at this point in the game, if you can't at least acknowledge the execution of the BD show, I skip anything else you have to say.

I was really pulling for SCV show but now I feel its more of a tease. Controlled music for the first half of the show is plain forgettable now, the last 1/4 is simply awesome!

CC - I just don't care about tink and the main character at the end, not like spartacus.

HNC to me is now in control of 2nd place, CC 3rd, SCV 4th, Cavaliers 5th.

Edited by jhallman

Blue Devils..........The corps is a mean machine. The corps is extremely talented and I was blown away by the music program (especially the brass....they gave me chills) but they reminded me of the Blue Devil of the 80's; It seemed they slowed the drill down or parked it every time demand would be put on the brass players. And just not enough field coverage. IMO, they far exceed everyone musically but they do it at a cost of sacrificing drill.

Carolina Crown.......... I like the show very much but, Crown, get your own identity. I felt like I was watching a show designed by a Cadets staff.

Holy Name Cadets..........Not very innovative but an awesome, pure drum corps show where marching meets music in a dizzying display. How can you not love watching the 1984 Garfield Cadets on steroids? I'll give you some slack because it IS an anniversary year but I hope you push the creative bar next year.

The Cavaliers..........The Cavaliers are the Ying to the Blue Devils', Yang. They are a marching and visual machine but sacrifice the music. Their drill is one of a kind.

Santa Clara Vanguard.......... I think this might be my favorite show this year. It is perfect .......it is beautiful. Only one negative comment: It looks and sounds very familiar.

Interesting all the comments about BD. Here are my impressions. They are cleaner, show is interesting, but definitely takes a more sophisticated viewer to understand and enjoy. They push the envelope with changes in 3 dimensions as well as the standard 2 dimensions.

Very well said. The word I used to describe their show is "intelligent." There is a tremendous level of design detail that is meticulously appropriate to the time period from both a musical and visual standpoint. That, coupled with the way they perform it is why they're winning. The 3rd dimension thing IS very important and I think it can be deceiving, as we are so geared to seeing corps fly across the field laterally as a measure of design and difficulty that we aren't appreciating how they are moving up and down in vertical space. I think the use of that has not been done before on this scale, with the entire corps involved, and it is not something I really picked up on until tonight.

Went to the theater and this is the first I've seen of anyone all season (not counting what I found on that video sharing site we're not supposed to mention).

My overall impression is WOW! Everyone is so good this year, really just a pleasure to sit and watch.

I missed Madison (I was late) so didn't see much of them. I enjoyed Colts and Troopers quite a lot, but agreed with the judges on that call, I think Trooper's show edges Colts out...and Troopers did a great job performing it tonight!

Other highlights for me were both the Blue Knights and the Blue Stars....really enjoyed both their shows. I loved BK's Avalanche move...so smartly done (that Sully, he writes great stuff :bluedevil: ) I didn't know if I was going to like BlueStars...with all the tables and chairs, etc....but I think they did a great job! Really enjoyable performance. I thought the props worked to tell the story and that the audio clips added something to the show as well, nicely done.

Loved both Boston and Phantom tonight as well. That's the best show I've seen from Boston in...well that I've ever seen from Boston, well put together show and very well performed...good job! I've always enjoyed Phantom...tonight was no exception. They do need to spruce up the visual, but they are a pleasure to listen to!

I was soooooo looking forward to SCV. For obvious reasons, their music choice is very special to me and SCV has long been one of my favorite corps. The visual of the show is beautifully designed and performed, and the guard did a fantastic job emulating the style of the dancers in the original work.....but I was sooooo disappointed with the brass arrangement. ALL of the tasty licks are in the pit! And I mean all. I could probably get used to it over time, but it did really disappoint me.

I enjoyed Crown's show a lot. I always enjoy M. Klesch's writing, their hornlike is very talented and Leon did a great job with the drill. I confess, I don't understand all the posing the horn lines (not just Crown, though they seem to do a lot of it...even HNC does some) are doing these days. Like Crown's kneeling thing, is that part of the story? just a GE move? It looks interesting and all and I can see how the kneeling thing would be difficult while playing....just not sure if there's a meaning I'm missing.

BD is very clean....the show's not to my taste (I think I can't get past the Les Chatelainses show back in the '80's that used chairs)...but it is incredibly clean.

I thought HNC was absolutely amazing (and I will completely admit to being biased!!). I thought the members were ON and just brought it. I'm so proud of them!

recaps up

Very well said. The word I used to describe their show is "intelligent." There is a tremendous level of design detail that is meticulously appropriate to the time period from both a musical and visual standpoint. That, coupled with the way they perform it is why they're winning. The 3rd dimension thing IS very important and I think it can be deceiving, as we are so geared to seeing corps fly across the field laterally as a measure of design and difficulty that we aren't appreciating how they are moving up and down in vertical space. I think the use of that has not been done before on this scale, with the entire corps involved, and it is not something I really picked up on until tonight.

Bingo. The BD performers go vertical and do so in unison. No other Corps is doing this. The others visually are going primarily horizontally ( or as you said " laterally " ). BD's visual show requires a completely different type demand on the part of it's marchers. The judges are judging the style dissimilarities, but are awarding more for the unique innovation of BD right now it appears. Plus, BD is scary solid in all judging captions, either 1st in everything, or only a very small bit behind in a caption or two. They are just executing the heck out of their unique and innovative show. I don't see anybody beating them this year. ( I said so a few weeks ago if some recall )

Edited by BRASSO