Crown always going to be crowd favorite

I can only disagree with the part about being a crowd favorite and a contender at the same time. I think it's pretty much impossible to be on or near the top, and not have others hating, it's simply the fans of the corps being beat that don't like them. Jealousy turns to dislike eventually...

This was the Cadet's position in 1983. I was there, in the Miami Orange Bowl, that Saturday night, for Finals. Cadets were the "great white hope" of their time. Everyone who was associated with Eastern drum corps was pulling for Cadets. Similarly, everyone from California was pulling for BD or SCV to pull out another title. All the folks from the East, who had felt over the years that 27th/Bridgemen/Muchachos had been ripped, were pulling for Cadets. Conversely, the California fans - the ruling establishment at the time - wanted an 8th straight title for California.

I remember distinctly a cheer rising up from the south seats, "East is Best! East is Best!" The California fans were sitting on the north end of the stands, and they started out with a cheer, "West is Best! West is Best!" It was one of the weirdest feeling DBC shows I had ever been to - it had the feeling of a college football rivalry game, not a DBC contest.

Of course, when the finals scores were read, Cadets had won, and started an amazing run of titles. Now they represent the ruling aristocracy in DCI - and most of the fans who pulled for Cadets in 1983, will be pulling for CC to beat them this year.

26 years have elapsed, but the human psyche has not changed. People love the underdog, and want to root for them. (That is why people show up at Chicago Cubs games, and root for this team, even though they haven't won a title in 103 years.) Call it the "Rocky Balboa" effect, if you like. People always want fairy tales to come through - for the Cinderella season to actually happen. Indeed, they would probably rather see that, then the best corps win. It gives them inspiration, hope for the future, and perhaps the ability to cope with the difficulties in their own lives. It is a fundamental part of human nature.

I simply want the very best outfit to win, so that the integrity of this activity is maintained. If that means BD wins the next 10 titles - or CC - so be it.

Now, for all the CC apologists, please answer this question, and do it honestly: If CC were to win 9 titles over the next 26 years, would you still be a CC apologist? Or would you start rooting for the next underdog?

• Replies 133
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We see a disproportionate amount of haters here on DCP.

I think this statement is a prime example of what many here on DCP do with the Cavaliers and Blue Devils. These organizations have been consistently at or near the top this past decade. Yet everytime I visit this site members always find a way to put these programs or their shows down. I dont understand it! This is a very subjective art and we all have our right to opinions, but the same people just constantly choose to put down others in order to make their particular favorite look better and its very obvious those of you that do.

"Their show is boring, there show isnt hard enough, their show is full of gimmicks" thats what alot of you say. For example, last year it was "The Cavliers dont play enough or loud enough." But this year they are playing and they are pretty darn loud and those people are now saying "this show is slow, this show puts me to sleep." But if you go to a DCI show (and ive been to seven this year on both the east and west coasts), and you sit next to people with absoultely no corps affiliation, people who are there just to enjoy. Many will tell you that these two corps are their favorites at the end of the night. Hence the infatuation of these corps by many high school band students.

Now, for all the CC apologists, please answer this question, and do it honestly: If CC were to win 9 titles over the next 26 years, would you still be a CC apologist? Or would you start rooting for the next underdog?

Honestly...I'll still be pulling for my Alma Mater corps, just like any other Alumni does. They may not have my favorite show that year, but I'll always be rooting for them to do as best they can.

Go Crown!

I think this statement is a prime example of what many here on DCP do with the Cavaliers and Blue Devils. These organizations have been consistently at or near the top this past decade. Yet everytime I visit this site members always find a way to put these programs or their shows down. I dont understand it! This is a very subjective art and we all have our right to opinions, but the same people just constantly choose to put down others in order to make their particular favorite look better and its very obvious those of you that do.

"Their show is boring, there show isnt hard enough, their show is full of gimmicks" thats what alot of you say. For example, last year it was "The Cavliers dont play enough or loud enough." But this year they are playing and they are pretty darn loud and those people are now saying "this show is slow, this show puts me to sleep." But if you go to a DCI show (and ive been to seven this year on both the east and west coasts), and you sit next to people with absoultely no corps affiliation, people who are there just to enjoy. Many will tell you that these two corps are their favorites at the end of the night. Hence the infatuation of these corps by many high school band students.

Agreed.

So being a contender and being a crowd favorite is mutually exclusive?

Well, truthfully, they do tend to me. Every winning group will have fans but if you look at the majority of fans of a sport (meaning, say, all of MLB's fans versus the fans of just one team) you'll see that a majority of fans of a sport don't like the best groups... think of the Yankees or the Patriots or the Lakers. A lot of it has to do with most fans liking to root for the underdog unless their dog is in the fight. So I think it happens often enough to say that, yes, a lot of times being the crowd favorite gets lost shortly after that group starts being a winner.

The fans have not been underrating Crown. Since about 2005 if not a little sooner, it seems the majority of fans have been gaga over them...about their guard, their brass tone, etc. And their show choices.

Honestly...I'll still be pulling for my Alma Mater corps, just like any other Alumni does. They may not have my favorite show that year, but I'll always be rooting for them to do as best they can.

Go Crown!

I would expect a CC alum to root for their own corps. That is to be expected.

But clearly there will be others, who will root for CC, because they want to see the underdog to win. And that is certainly their perogative. They may have the establish, and would support someone - anyone - who attempts to challenge it.

However, if that does happen, don't be surprised if someday the tables turn - and someone is rooting against CC, because now CC is establishment, and someone else is the underdog.