Terrible Sound in Lucas

As long as you sit on the 50, you're good!

No your not!

• Replies 281
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This is surprising.I thought the sound in the Georgia Dome was some of the best I had ever heard but others said it sucked there.

We had seats in 438 and watched a couple of corps there. Sound was not good at all. We then went up to 640 (right on the fifty) where our seats are for Friday and Saturday. Sound was not good at all. We went down and sat about 15 rows from the stadium floor in the 100's on about the 35 yard line and the sound was actually pretty good: felt like I was actually at a drum corps show.

I was at the theater, and was disappointed in the sound throughout. Pits were overpowering hornlines and drums (not just electronics either -- amplified mallets can pierce!) There was a moment in the Bluecoats' show that was almost painful. I got the sense watching many of the corps that they were adjusting as thy went. I imagine tomorrow will be a bit better.

The echo was certainly noticeable on the broadcast. I'm wondering what my experience will be like on Saturday night. I'm waaaaaaaay over in the side 2 corner, section 631 (I think). I should be able to see forms pretty darned well, I guess. Sound may be completely jumbled, though. Sigh... 9 more years? I hope I'm wrong. I hope it works out alright. I'd be interested to see if an open roof made any difference, too. I'll be watching DCP and Twitter for everyone's comments about tonight AND tomorrow.

Anyone have any thoughts on what the giant black death curtain did to help/hurt the sound?

Yeah, just got off the phone with my uncle. He's been to every finals since 73 (except 82 & 83) and said pretty much the same thing. So bad to the point that he will not be attending anymore finals held at Lucas Oil for sure. And his seats were on the 45 mid way up. He also mentioned there were many "regulars" he talked to who also felt the same way. Very disappointing.

I agree. I bought super premium seats and I was in section 343 and on the 20 yard line so I was so Pi$$ed about the seats and the sound. The sound was terrible up there. I'm so disappointed. I've been coming to finals for 12 years and I will not come back. The sad thing is I went to the box office and bought seats for semi's tomorrow on the 12th row. I'm hoping that will help with the sound and will help salvage this trip. If the sound is this poor with the roof open I will not be coming back to finals nor renewing my Friends subscription as long as the finals are in Indy.

:bluedevil:

No your not!

Just my experience at the other dome venues. SORRY!

I was at the theater, and was disappointed in the sound throughout. Pits were overpowering hornlines and drums (not just electronics either -- amplified mallets can pierce!) There was a moment in the Bluecoats' show that was almost painful. I got the sense watching many of the corps that they were adjusting as thy went. I imagine tomorrow will be a bit better.

The echo was certainly noticeable on the broadcast. I'm wondering what my experience will be like on Saturday night. I'm waaaaaaaay over in the side 2 corner, section 631 (I think). I should be able to see forms pretty darned well, I guess. Sound may be completely jumbled, though. Sigh... 9 more years? I hope I'm wrong. I hope it works out alright. I'd be interested to see if an open roof made any difference, too. I'll be watching DCP and Twitter for everyone's comments about tonight AND tomorrow.

Anyone have any thoughts on what the giant black death curtain did to help/hurt the sound?

The black curtain looked cool on jumbotron but it appeared pretty sheer in person and didn't seem to significantly affect the sound.

As for the pits, those are always disproportionate on broadcasts and recordings because of the mic placement but, again, from my vantage point it seemed that some pits were overpowering and others were less audible than they should have been (never thought I'd say that!) :bluedevil:

Here's a topic for consideration: since Championships and two regionals are now in domed stadia, will arrangers/caption heads change their charts or sound to reflect that?