DCI World Class 2009 Finals Thread

From the stands, BD had an excellent show. Although it was not my favorite, obviously the judges felt it was the best. I think we all need to just keep in mind that Drum Corps is just supposed to be kids having fun and making music and realize that your life will probably not be negatively/positively effected by its results.

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Mallets2014 has the right to his opinion as does anyone else.

I've gotten 3 emails from different people who attended the show last night. Two are former percussion guys from back when and non are HNC alumni or have any connection to that org. Their take on the HNC drum placement was the same. Something was 'way' wrong. Under the old tic system - sure their could be some swings - but under the subjective judging these days and how DCI keeps corps/captions pretty much aligned from show to show. - there was a major injustice to HNC. Some of the great traditions ( tick based judging/passing in review/all corps playing in retreat etc. etc. ) one thing that obviously has not changed is that you get some yahoo judge out to make a statement at a show - Pipitone had his 15 minutes of anger with George and the HNC for whatever reason. I understand Pipitone's judging comments alone - tells the tale -. This was an abhorrent, lack of ethics on his part and while he may have earned some respect during his percussive career - he blew it at one show.

BD was the hands down judge favorite and deserved the result I'm sure, but Pipitone's lapse in decent, good judgment was an atrocity for HNC who obviously should have finished second if Pipitone had only been a decent individual. Good things come to good people and then bad things happen to those who prefer to do evil - he'll get his on a personal level at some point.

if something was wrong, regardless of who the corps is, where they placed, he did the RIGHT thing by placing them where they did based on the fact something was way wrong.

i dont care who the corps is...if youhave a bad show, you dont deserve to have a good score because of who are you are. for him to try to #### Cadets single handedly, the guy had to try and be a math genius and figure out what brass and ensemble scores would have been in order to be sure he did indeed #### them.

and since one of them was upstairs, he had know way to know.

so he did what he was paid to...make a call based on what he saw and heard and rank it according to what else had gone on with the other corps last night.

look, I liked cadets this year more than I have since 2000. Granted, I think a Tom/Neil book would have made the difference, but J.J. did his job. And for that, i applaud him.

he showed despite what people think, you dont get a score because of who you are...you get a score based on how you played.

The Sparks were the corps that evolved into the Santa Clara Vanguard.

Yes. But it is amazing these days how many folks have no idea about the roots of this activity.

Yes. But it is amazing these days how many folks have no idea about the roots of this activity.

That is very true. It would be nice if DCI re-released the historical documentary called "Brass Roots" for the younger generation.

That is very true. It would be nice if DCI re-released the historical documentary called "Brass Roots" for the younger generation.

Good idea, Tony. Perhaps a small email campaign might arouse interest. "Percussion Roots" may be cool, too. There's got to be a history on the evolution of Judging as well. I think that would be quite interesting if well detailed.

It was inevitable that eventually this would happen in my opinion. Nobody had more of the high risk, high velocity drill than did the Cadets this year. The fact that a marcher fell down in the high risk, high velocity drill is not surprising. The fact that it led to score diminishment in the percussion line from which the fallen member participated in is likewise no surprise. The fact it cost the Cadets a placement positition also is no surprise.

What WILL be a surprise however is if the Caderts will not rethink this high velocity drill in light of this outcome in the off seasoin and next year won't tone down the high velocity drill moves and offer up a visual program in which performers perform with the use of props and in a more stationary and more vertical approach with their visual as opposed to going mostly horizontal moves at great speed like they did this year. The Cadets will rethink this stylistic approach in the offseason. I'm certain of it. They won't want to put themselves in such a high risk position like this again next year. They saw the path the Blue Devils took visually to attain their title. And the Cadets staff show designers are are not dummies. They'll adjust to the changing landscape that the Blue Devils of 2009 have now ushered in.

I hope the cadets change their drill style. I am tired of the dirt caused by their run and gun style.

Mallets2014 has the right to his opinion as does anyone else.

I've gotten 3 emails from different people who attended the show last night. Two are former percussion guys from back when and non are HNC alumni or have any connection to that org. Their take on the HNC drum placement was the same. Something was 'way' wrong. Under the old tic system - sure their could be some swings - but under the subjective judging these days and how DCI keeps corps/captions pretty much aligned from show to show. - there was a major injustice to HNC. Some of the great traditions ( tick based judging/passing in review/all corps playing in retreat etc. etc. ) one thing that obviously has not changed is that you get some yahoo judge out to make a statement at a show - Pipitone had his 15 minutes of anger with George and the HNC for whatever reason. I understand Pipitone's judging comments alone - tells the tale -. This was an abhorrent, lack of ethics on his part and while he may have earned some respect during his percussive career - he blew it at one show.

BD was the hands down judge favorite and deserved the result I'm sure, but Pipitone's lapse in decent, good judgment was an atrocity for HNC who obviously should have finished second if Pipitone had only been a decent individual. Good things come to good people and then bad things happen to those who prefer to do evil - he'll get his on a personal level at some point.

C'mon, to suggest that the persussion jusge is evil is plain crazy. Cadets percussion had an off night from what I have heard. It happens.