TOP 10 things IN 2009 we think but dare not say!

• Replies 369
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Dude, I love reading your posts, but I have to be honest here...I despise the term "un-musical". It's just such a dumb way to critique something (and it's funny this term comes up in drum corps and marching band circles more than anywhere else (except perhaps some stuffy conservatories where *they* know what musical is and Metallica (for example) is abhorrent!)...

Ladies and gents, there is no "more musical" or "less musical", so please find some better terminology...(Oh GOD, that means we have to be more specific, and actually critique stuff we probably don't understand and probably can't play ourselves! Oh, the horror!! Better to call it "unmusical" and sound like we have a clue about what that means!!)

:rock:

awesome. Couldn't agree more with WestCoaster's statement. A fart is unmusical.

Another widely overused term in my opinion is "phrasing". Any sort of expression is termed as "phrasing". To me expression and phrasing are not the same thing. I have the same reaction to this as when I hear someone misuse the word "ironic" or when a football announcer tells me that a wide receiver caught a pass "at its highest point" (really? and he didn't breeak every bone in his body when he landed back on earth?) .

If you disagree with my opinion about phrasing then this posting is, in fact, ironic. Don't ya think?

I have one....

Colts were not only in competition with this year's Troopers, but 40 years of their history. I won't say Colts were better than Troop because I think it was a close and exciting match, but there was simply no way Colts were making finals over Troopers. The simple fact that Troopers were the Troopers secured that spot, which I think is disappointing.

I won't totally disagree with you on that. Let's face it, the Troopers aren't known as "America's Corps" just for the hell of it. They could fall into an open sewer and when they came out it would look like they had just gotten back from a black tie affair. Practically everybody loves them, which put the Colts in a nearly impossible position.

I won't totally disagree with you on that. Let's face it, the Troopers aren't known as "America's Corps" just for the hell of it. They could fall into an open sewer and when they came out it would look like they had just gotten back from a black tie affair. Practically everybody loves them, which put the Colts in a nearly impossible position.

There's a rumor I've heard about how back in 1986 DCI was in a quandry, with 2 corps in danger of going under and only one they could "save" by giving them a finals spot.

According to the rumor, they let the 27th Lancers die in favor of keeping the Troopers around. :rock:

Another widely overused term in my opinion is "phrasing". Any sort of expression is termed as "phrasing". To me expression and phrasing are not the same thing. I have the same reaction to this as when I hear someone misuse the word "ironic" or when a football announcer tells me that a wide receiver caught a pass "at its highest point" (really? and he didn't breeak every bone in his body when he landed back on earth?) .

Great point on "phrasing", which is at least more "specific" than something like "musicality" but equally invalid as it's a matter of opinion. It's always annoying to listen to judges tapes full of "nice phrasing!" comments.

Exactly...everyone loves an underdog story. The Colts know all about that with 2007. Not even Colts members could remain bitter with troopers for more than 5 minutes.

I love the Bb horns, for many reasons. I played G bugles in drum corps and they suck, it's like blowing through a horn filled with cotton and they're a total ######## to play in tune, there I said it!

Also, I like microphones in the pit, sometimes they are turned up too loud yes, but before the mics, there were many shows where intricate parts never got heard, or were barely audible.

Synths can be and are used tastefully, sometimes they are not. This is just the way it is.

There IS a box percussion judge, it's called ensemble music. What else can you judge about percussion from up there?

DCP gets way too argumentative sometimes, but I love it anyway, so there! :rock:

There was a lack of dark and evil shows this year, IMO, and for some reason that makes me sad :(

That's all.

1. the synths did not add anything to ANYONE's show.

I think the synths added a TON to Boston's show. They used it for a VERY legitimate purpose, which was to create sounds that cannot be created by conventional means in DBC, but they still managed to do so in a very tasteful way, at least in my opinion. Their show would not have been the same without those effects.

1. I am sick of people saying 'that show was designed for the judges', or 'for the sheets'. If that's a pet theory of yours, think about this: Every corps has their show somewhat redesigned by the judges throughout the year. Do you honestly think that your 'designed for the fans' favorite corps show isn't influenced by the judges?

Oh, right. Your favorite corps design staff doesn't bother to go to the critiques after shows.

:rock:

Edited by cajal