TOP 10 things IN 2009 we think but dare not say!

TOP 10:

1. Far less regional show tours means I go to less shows.

2. Ticket prices are too high ... period

3. Bring Back Kalamazoo!!!!!!!

4. Open the roof or I'm never going to finals

5. Whole Notes are NOT exciting

6. Bring back white pants with stripes (Coats, SCV, Scouts, etc etc etc.)

7. Higher bandwidth is needed on FN live broadcasts - 48K for sound is putrid

8. Get rid of the synths ........ period. Find a way to make the effect without pushing buttons.

9. Outlaw Pyware. Use a pencil and paper, it turns out much better when you have to use your brain to write it and see it before it becomes reality.

10. Get rid of Open Class OR Let them in Semi's. There's no longer an excuse.

Alternate #1 .... TURN DOWN THE PITS! Put a cap decibel limit on it please and thanks.

This is the one, and similar ideas, that irk me the most. Since when did this activity become about the Corporate entity (DCI) and not about the kids?? I don't care where, who's in charge, or what the judges are into that year... or what George Hopkins is pushing to add, I'm going to any and all Drum Corps activities I can fit into my schedule because IT'S ABOUT THE KIDS!! I fully understand that there are things that could be changed, eliminated or improved to make the activity more competitive and more attractive to the ordinary (non-band geek) man on the street. I can write letters to DCI, George Hopkins, or whoever influences the activity most, but to say I'll never go to another Finals show because of the #### roof??? Shame on you...

My 2 cents.

• Replies 369
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This is the one, and similar ideas, that irk me the most. Since when did this activity become about the Corporate entity (DCI) and not about the kids?? I don't care where, who's in charge, or what the judges are into that year... or what George Hopkins is pushing to add, I'm going to any and all Drum Corps activities I can fit into my schedule because IT'S ABOUT THE KIDS!! I fully understand that there are things that could be changed, eliminated or improved to make the activity more competitive and more attractive to the ordinary (non-band geek) man on the street. I can write letters to DCI, George Hopkins, or whoever influences the activity most, but to say I'll never go to another Finals show because of the #### roof??? Shame on you...

My 2 cents.

Ordinarily I'd agree but if a mainly music-based activity is compromising the quality of the sound then all bets are off.

How many fans of the London Symphony Orchestra would pay to see them perform on a boat outdoors on rough waters? They wouldn't because it would sound terrible.

My 2 cents.

but...if the roof being closed affects your ability to enjoy what the kids are doing....should you go?

Quote Xrock80: This is the one, and similar ideas, that irk me the most. Since when did this activity become about the Corporate entity (DCI) and not about the kids?? I don't care where, who's in charge, or what the judges are into that year... or what George Hopkins is pushing to add, I'm going to any and all Drum Corps activities I can fit into my schedule because IT'S ABOUT THE KIDS!! I fully understand that there are things that could be changed, eliminated or improved to make the activity more competitive and more attractive to the ordinary (non-band geek) man on the street. I can write letters to DCI, George Hopkins, or whoever influences the activity most, but to say I'll never go to another Finals show because of the #### roof??? Shame on you...

My 2 cents.

Under this argument, the best thing to do is just send money. Why say "shame on you" to someone because you disagree? You act as if your opinion is a moral imperative.

Edited by Wadep66

but...if the roof being closed affects your ability to enjoy what the kids are doing....should you go?

Yes.

How many fans of the London Symphony Orchestra would pay to see them perform on a boat outdoors on rough waters? They wouldn't because it would sound terrible.

Bad example... absolutely no comparison, however, I'm sure the LSO has performed in thousands of venues, open, closed, outdoors, indoors, and I can probably safely assume that they were sold out.

Yes.

Bad example... absolutely no comparison, however, I'm sure the LSO has performed in thousands of venues, open, closed, outdoors, indoors, and I can probably safely assume that they were sold out.

so if you go and hate the sound, you should suck it up and go anyways.

that logic always fails to make sense to me

under that logic, since i hate country music, i should go anyways to support the groups. right??

There's a rumor I've heard about how back in 1986 DCI was in a quandry, with 2 corps in danger of going under and only one they could "save" by giving them a finals spot.

According to the rumor, they let the 27th Lancers die in favor of keeping the Troopers around. :rock:

Please... Now you're just rumor mongering. Very unmusical of you.

TOP 10 THINGS WE ARE NOT SAYING ON HERE. BUT YA KNOW YOUR THINKIN IT.

5. If drum corp as an activity is getting better, how come the crowds are getting smaller?

9. Is anybody sick of seeing the same top 5 corps being placed in the top 5 year after year, after year, after year, after year. No... there is nothing wrong with the system sir. Just because between 3 corps they have won over 30 championships does not mean I am in the wrong officer.

In regards to #9, I would say "Yes, yes, yes".

A while back I was curious about this very topic and I did some calculations to answer the question, "In any given 5-year period, how many different corps make the top 5?"

Here's the answer going back to the beginning. The current 5-year period is not one of the worst. The 5 year period between 2003 and 2007 had the distinction of having the fewest number of different corps making the top 5. Still, if you've been following the activity for decades, the lack of variety can get rather tedious. It's been going on since the early 80's.

Years # of different corps to appear in top 5

1972-1976: 12

1973-1977: 10

1974-1978: 10

1975-1979: 8

1976-1980: 7

1977-1981: 8

1978-1982: 8

1979-1983: 8

1980-1984: 8

1981-1985: 7

1982-1986: 7

1983-1987: 7

1984-1988: 7

1985-1989: 7

1986-1990: 8

1987-1991: 7

1988-1992: 7

1989-1993: 7

1990-1994: 7

1991-1995: 7

1992-1996: 7

1993-1997: 7

1994-1998: 7

1995-1999: 7

1996-2000: 8

1997-2001: 8

1998-2002: 7

1999-2003: 7

2000-2004: 7

2001-2005: 8

2002-2006: 7

2003-2007: 6

2004-2008: 7

2005-2009: 7

By comparison, the NFL, which is the most popular sports league in America, has had 15 different teams make the "top 4" in the last 5 years. (Difficult to do a top 5 in football)

Quote Xrock80: This is the one, and similar ideas, that irk me the most. Since when did this activity become about the Corporate entity (DCI) and not about the kids?? I don't care where, who's in charge, or what the judges are into that year... or what George Hopkins is pushing to add, I'm going to any and all Drum Corps activities I can fit into my schedule because IT'S ABOUT THE KIDS!! I fully understand that there are things that could be changed, eliminated or improved to make the activity more competitive and more attractive to the ordinary (non-band geek) man on the street. I can write letters to DCI, George Hopkins, or whoever influences the activity most, but to say I'll never go to another Finals show because of the #### roof??? Shame on you...

My 2 cents.

Under this argument, the best thing to do is just send money. Why say "shame on you" to someone because you disagree? You act as if your opinion is a moral imperative.

No, not a morale imperative, I am just very supportive of the time, sweat, tears, and energy the kids put out in order to do this activity IE: Entertain you. What would you think would happen to the activity if the kids all of the sudden said "I don't want to be in Drum Corps this year because Lucas Oil Stadium won't open the dome","I'm not going back because they are switching from G bugles to Bb instruments", "I'm not going back because they are allowing the pit to be on the sidelines, instead of the field", "I'm not going back because they allow the corps to march up to 5 yards beyond the sidelines", "I'm not marching anymore because the Blue Devils won again..."

Seems like drum corps should have suffered major loss of participants years ago.... but i believe it still thrives...