TOP 10 things IN 2009 we think but dare not say!

• Replies 369
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yawn.

Well, post hoc ergo propter hoc, apparently not, morganhills.

10. DCP is irrelevant to DCI show designers, corps directors, and policy makers. We can type as many posts as we want threatening boycotts, refusal to donate to corps, and crazy half-witted "proposals" on how to roll back the rules to the 1990's, but it's not going to happen. It doesn't matter, and DCI will continue to move on with or without us. Thinking otherwise = delusions of grandeur. DCP is an adequate place to bicker, read show reviews, wait for the site to crash while waiting for Finals scores, etc. but it has zero effect on inner workings of the activity. Even when a DCP member pulls strings and gets a corps to sponsor proposals that roll back rules, DCI is laughed at behind closed doors by everyone who matters: DCI Board, most corps directors, and staff members.

I disagree very strongly here. Boards, directors, designers & staff often feel the pulse of the activity right here. I myself have made several suggestions that I was shocked to see actually included in shows.

And for you to state that they are "laughing at us behind closed doors" only fuels the fire of the "them & us" debate.

Bad example... absolutely no comparison, however, I'm sure the LSO has performed in thousands of venues, open, closed, outdoors, indoors, and I can probably safely assume that they were sold out.

Why is that such a bad example, unless you don't go to DC shows for the music? Actually, LSO has very rarely performed outside, but if they did, I would not pay the same amount to hear them in an outdoor shell as I would in their regular hall--where the FULL quality of their playing can be heard.

On the other hand, this year I paid more than I EVER have for a Super Premium Finals ticket, only to experience the worst acoustic venue for drum corps I have EVER been to. I will not do it again.

DCI doesn't listen, and if they do, they let you into rules congress where staffers make fun of you under their breath

AMEN

nice :satisfied:

i supported DCI for many years. however i didnt sign a long term contract that stupidly had me locked into doing it.

why? because sometimes, DCI can #### up...regardless of the kids.

99% of the problems in the activity arent created by the kids anyways

Double Amen.

I have at one point attempted involvement with DCI, tried to get basic information, and donated money. It must be clear to most of the posters here and other places that DCI has a governing board - the governing board is interested in financial survival as any organization is. To continue to be somewhat viable, they are changing the rules, the game - to extend the viability of the organization.

What I have with DCI personally questioned - - is - - is all of this REALLY creating more participation, more attendance, more donations to the organization...... NO answers. All they sent was the usual press pablum supplied about the marching arts.

What we have seen and we really don't need DCI to confirm is the following - shows that once were regulars on the schedule, now gone. Attendance at the shows dwindling each year. Cost of ticket prices rising, each year. # of corps struggling to make ends meet each year, increasing. Dues rising each year to where now to march in a world class costs more than several thousands of dollars. Corps coming and going inactive more frequent than not. So with all the change in the rules - - synths, mics, change in the # of the field, or anything else you can think - - the facts are the activity and its members are not making ends meet.

So what is going to happen - - either they die or survive in some other form. I think the hopes of the organization (DCI) is that by the time that decision comes around, we will have all been so numbed by all the "band" changes that have been made, that we won't care at the point of ultimate decision to turn to a BOA or USSBA situation.

I hate to portray such a cynical attitude, but I offer this - - if none of these changes has extended the viability of the organization (DCI) and I would argue all they have done is prolong a certain death to BOA or something like it................ Why aren't the forces, the governing body, the organization trying something else ?

Unless you can with statistics, numbers, etc... prove to me that the changes have increased membership, increased the number of corps, provided and sustained financial viability for any of the world class..... Then I would suggest it is time to try something else.

If there is no desire to try anything else from the governing body - - then I will get really cynical here and tell you that the hidden agenda is to go to World Class Marching Band. We are half way there now, they might as well finish the job.

Let the chips fall where they may, let all of us back in the day people keep #####ing and moaning and move on already.

I am tired of hearing about Hop and what he has done to destroy drum corps - - he is a one man show, he is not DCI.

DCI has and should take responsibility for any and all issues and the STATE of drum corps today. The governing body that has ruled that world for the last 15-20 years may look back someday and wonder where it all went, but in the end, THEY were the ones that drove it to Indy, THEY were the ones that made it "band" like, and they were the ones we should be upset with.

The kids are doing amazing things today - - I couldn't play and march like they do now - - THEY are participants in an activity, that has had the rules changed by people who supposedly know better.

UNTIL you know better, you don't do better.

DCI is NOT doing any better by these kids today.

They perform magic, but magic without the ooing and the aaahing of the crowd, isn't much fun.

1. Unless you're Cadets Allentown pretty much sucks as a drum corps venue

They gave you a less than luke warm reception because they didn't like your show. Just like other venues that gave you little love.

There have been many many years when BD got the most love from the Allentown crowd.

There have been years when The Cadets have gotten little love.

Unless you can with statistics, numbers, etc... prove to me that the changes have increased membership, increased the number of corps, provided and sustained financial viability for any of the world class..... Then I would suggest it is time to try something else.

If there is no desire to try anything else from the governing body - - then I will get really cynical here and tell you that the hidden agenda is to go to World Class Marching Band. We are half way there now, they might as well finish the job.

So what's YOUR solution? Where's YOUR research and statistics?I read lots of griping and complaining, but no ideas for how to make it better.

1. My ears are still ringing from RCA/LUCOIL Dome.

2. Good bye marching drumlines.

3. Super Premium should be inside the 40's, 35's at least.

4. Cadets, SCV, Crown and Cavs, Great drama.

5. Good bye marching drum corps!

6. I might not go to Indy next year.

7. Will the Cavs, Cadets and others write easier shows in the future?

8. Did anyone finish that 5 gallon tub of popcorn ( sold at the stadium)by themselves.

9. I hate the day after drum corps season.

10. 99.05! I'll have to sit down and think about that one!

Edited by boxingfred

OOH! A DESIGNATED COMPLAINING THREAD!

1) BD Was boring, they had 70 visual markers out on the field, and they could sit down in them. That being said- the 30 seconds of rhapsody in blue is exempt from said observation.

2) Crown should have one, and 3rd in GE my butt! That Ending is like, oozing GE!

3) Spirit needs more hornline, less Bass guitar

4) A whole friggin' band in your pit, teal? Really?

5) Boston, less orgies on the field please.

6) Where was the GE in BD's show? SOMEONE TELL ME!

7) Cadets weren't all that entertaining to me, but I agree that they performed the heck out of a difficult program.

8) Why didn't madison place higher? That show was off the chain!

9) Glassmen passing BK=phail

10) I love the Cavaliers, PLACE HIGHER!