If Lucas Oil was a Bust...

How 'bout this -

All of DCI Championship week in Bloomington, EXCEPT Finals in Indy?

There IS something to be said for a Finals event that can't be disrupted by weather conditions.

This way, the outdoor venue proponents can see the corps at their best Thursday, Friday (if it doesn't rain) and the corporate, networking types can do their thing in downtown Indy along with any drum corps fans, and locals, who don't see "perfect sound" as the ultimate requirement, above all else.

Include live theater telecasts of Finals in both the Indy and Bloomington regions.

Something for everyone!

• Replies 144
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Just throwing this out there - TCF Bank Stadium in Minneapolis, MN.

TCF Bank Stadium Photo Gallery

PROS:

It is brand spanking new, great location, parking should be ok, plenty of hotels & good priced hotels, cooler weather, it is NOT domed, plenty of places (schools/colleges) in the area to be able to have Div II/III, I mean Open Class Quarters/Semis, center of the country, so everyone could go, not much residential to have to worry about...

CONS:

It has not been tested yet for big events like this, outdoors, I believe it is a synthetic/grass blend, possible parking issues for some, I am sure that there are others that I am not thinking of yet also.

New rule: DCI shouldn't have benches. Real seats required.

This.

Also, someone said it earlier, bring the Finals back to the DC area... (I'm just a little bit partial...) Even Baltimore. M&T Bank Stadium would be a great venue, there are large parking lots around the stadium for the corps to warm up (and for parking...) and there's tons of stuff to do in Baltimore and nearby Washington... The only problem I would see is nearby freeway noise, although I don't know how much of the noise filters into the venue. Only other problem would be scheduling it at the same time as an Orioles game.

How 'bout this -

All of DCI Championship week in Bloomington, EXCEPT Finals in Indy?

There IS something to be said for a Finals event that can't be disrupted by weather conditions.

This way, the outdoor venue proponents can see the corps at their best Thursday, Friday (if it doesn't rain) and the corporate, networking types can do their thing in downtown Indy along with any drum corps fans, and locals, who don't see "perfect sound" as the ultimate requirement, above all else.

Include live theater telecasts of Finals in both the Indy and Bloomington regions.

Something for everyone!

Interesting idea. I suppose the problem is Solomon actually is splitting the baby with all the negatives attending.

HH

I'm in the south so I'm biased:

Atlanta, GA Tech, not in the friggin dome.

Nashville- The Titan's stadium is the shiznit Vanderbilt could host the Open class stuff

Knoxville - Neyland Stadium. The mecca of the SEC.

If they go back to Madison, I'm bringing a stadium seat. Those bleachers sucked. I liked the stadium/town though.

Went to Madison in '06 and loved it.

Bloomington seemed great.

Columbia, MO?

Cowboys Stadium, Arlington TX Pros: Retractable roof, brand spanking new Cons: grass, Jerry Jones charges $90 bucks for pizza, retractable roof

Metrodome, Minneapolis MN Pros: None Cons: DOME, RCA Dome's twin sister

Qwest Field, Seattle WA Pros: PERFECT stadium Little rain in PacNW in summer Cons: Pac NW is expensive to get to

:unhappy:

I will concur about the Humpty Dome - Not good!

But you may reconsider - the NEW TCF BANK STADIUM at the University of Minnesota main campus in Minneapolis...opening for the Gophers in abuot a month. Now I can't say how much parking they'd have, but it's less than a mile from both I-35W (north and east from the new bridge) and I-94 running between the Cities. Plenty of hotels and restaurants in close proximity and throughout the Metro area - Downtown Minneapolis about 1 mile to the West. Mall of America about 13 miles away...

Also a chance that the Twinkies might be in town, and they go into their new digs at Target Field in 2010..Outdoor baseball for the first time in 28 seasons!

I would guess that this might be more attractive than the "Dome"...

Link to TCF Bank stadium info: http://stadium.gophersports.com

It has a virtual tour from seating areas..looks cool

Pat

I wonder why Nashville or Charlotte isn't getting a lot of pub?

They're not as far south and not as hot as Atlanta.