Worst Championships Venue

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

(snip)

MOST HATED VENUE:

9. Indianapolis - Horrible accoustics. Stadium design is isolating (lots of levels/pockets of seats/seperate hallways & areas) - prevents the usual socializing. Hate, hate, hate not having finals under the stars - takes away part of the magic. Indoor stadium makes DCI feel small, or less epic. Most of all though, horrible accoustics - and disturbing talk of corps needing to adjust programming in future years to accomodate the indoor accoustics. :(

Harvey

(snip)

Acoustics in LOS sucked, but at least the sight lines were excellent and the performers got to work without the sun shining directly in their eyes. The downtown location is a major plus. I wasn't as predisposed to hating the sound, perhaps because I went in with low expectations and found that the design helped with some aspects (SCV's show sounded better indoors than out, imho).

Corps are already changing design to accomodate the crappy accoustical situation at LOS. It happened to some degree in 2009.

SCV Brass Arranger Key Poulan's designer commentary on the Fan Network for the San Antonio show indicated that SCV's show this year was exactly that. Designed for the domes they would be competing in - and with Indy specifically in mind too. I think it was a sign that SCV's design team was actually thinking ahead and anticipating how the show would sound in these boomy venues. Especiallly with the final show - that is so important - being in a boomy dome.

While I understand that every show is not inside (the only times I got to see SCV were outside), I think you HAVE to take the "dome reverb" into consideration because so much hinges on a judges perception of the show. The guys in the green shirts are stuck in the dome trying to sort out the sound they are hearing - and the corps has to be taught how to play in that venue. And the show was brilliantly design for that... in my opinion.

Jackson..... with Kansas City, Misery a close 2nd!

Indy was not good for sound, and I heard many big ticket holders saying they would not be coming back next year.

Bloomington was way better.

DA

JACKSON :throwupen::peek: :peek: :thumbdown: :thumbdown:

Albeit it was a great year for Drum Corps and great Music..departure of Star of Indiana but Stadium and Location come on..ughh. Lousy stadium for the Corps members and the stadium seating was concrete If. I remember right. The only redeeming value about that week Phatom moving up..Duke em out between Cadets and Star, Madison show in the Rain..and other corps moments.

Edited by Zeke

madison, 2002.

the whole place was under construction. no place to park. no place to warm up. exceedingly long walks for the corps. the most overhyped stadium in the history of the activity.

let me get my hurt locker suit on.

I actually parked in the neighborhood right behind the stadium all three nights. I love finals in Madison

'05 Foxboro- That was a seriously crapped out field I couldn't believe how bad center field looked from Day 1 at QF and this was very early on into the show. That Bell oh that friggen bell going off what seemed every 5 min or less and Lousy,Rude Stadium Event Staff. Awesome Seats at club level..and having acess to that club box area was gold.

Jackson..... with Kansas City, Misery a close 2nd!

Kansas: I liked the stadium - great parking. BUT the city didn't even know we were in town and I'm not sure who to blame for that. Semi's get out and the wife and I head to Pizza Hut not a couple of miles away. They closed the doors on us. I told them that there's a couple of thousand of hungry folks were headed down the road. No dice.

Miami was pretty bad too. The stadium was in a war zone. We were bussed in and told not to leave the stadium. The BAC story attests to this. Stayed in a school with no AC, no windows, no bathroom stalls, and the lockers were steel cabled shut. Hotter than snot and it rained every darn afternoon.

Edited by AlanAndreasen

Didn't Boston have a little "run in" with the locals in Miami just before they performed?

Edited by blueorginal

Corps are already changing design to accomodate the crappy accoustical situation at LOS. It happened to some degree in 2009.

SCV Brass Arranger Key Poulan's designer commentary on the Fan Network for the San Antonio show indicated that SCV's show this year was exactly that. Designed for the domes they would be competing in - and with Indy specifically in mind too. I think it was a sign that SCV's design team was actually thinking ahead and anticipating how the show would sound in these boomy venues. Especiallly with the final show - that is so important - being in a boomy dome.

While I understand that every show is not inside (the only times I got to see SCV were outside), I think you HAVE to take the "dome reverb" into consideration because so much hinges on a judges perception of the show. The guys in the green shirts are stuck in the dome trying to sort out the sound they are hearing - and the corps has to be taught how to play in that venue. And the show was brilliantly design for that... in my opinion.

doesnt seem like they planned the low end synth all that well then. only flaw with that show