When reading it, I felt like I was actually at the show. :tongue:

Fran

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You WERE at the show, Fran! :tongue:

Yeah... and I blame the Sun Devils for fully waking me up that day! :tongue:

A couple of times, it sounded like your horn line was in the press box with us....LOL. Those guys can play a bit!!!

Fran

Thank you for your kind review.

As a side note, not only were there a "chock full of tempo changes", but (especially in the 2nd Movement) multiple time signature changes. Marching to (what is almost random in nature) alternating time (measure by measure) signatures of 4/4, 3/8, 2/8, 2/4 in no seemingly sensible order is quite a accomplished skill in itself; with the corps working endless hours refining. I do think the corps visually performed it so flawlessly and refined it went totally unnoticed and the credit due was not given in the rewarding manner it should have. Of course this is simply my opinion; but a opinion being based off of my time and experience as a (once) drum corps adjudicator.

And all that information and 47 cents still only gets ya a senior cup of coffee at the local McDonalds. :tongue:

Don't know if I can....it's an impression I had, but I can't recall the specifics and I won't hear the show again until the CDs come out. Probably just that those few fracks stuck out more for whatever reason.

I could elaborate on this....the DCP video clip reminded me that the 2009 repertoire was chock full of tempo changes, which really helped drive home just how much the Kilties' ensemble skills have improved.

Bill,

If I recall...the 3/8 2/8 stuff had some holds in for the odd meter bars right...I dont remember seeing any stutter steps for the odd meter like you sometimes see a corps do.

Bill,

If I recall...the 3/8 2/8 stuff had some holds in for the odd meter bars right...I dont remember seeing any stutter steps for the odd meter like you sometimes see a corps do.

Hi Jeff,

With all due (sincere) respect that's not accurate Jeff, which goes to prove my point that it was done so flawlessly and refined that it went without notice and maybe not given the credit due.

It's not a easy skill to acquire without a lot of hard word, especially when done in unison by the entire marching ensemble.

Whether one calls it a stutter step, floating step, etc., they were all there, plus (of course) the visual 3/8 bar holds on "some" of the 3/8 bars. The vast, vast, vast majority were floating steps.

The corps membership (and staff) spent countless and countless hours working on it from January to June to perfect it. The visual was done for about approximately a continous 45 seconds in the beginning portion of the tune.

cool...i thought i remembered seeing it once, but that you didnt do it more is a good thing...probably a shiny object caught my eye and i got distracted and didnt see that you moved for the others. ( shiny object was probably pit related...they tend to draw my eyes away from the field)

It's almost impossible to notice a stutter step.

I marched a stutter step for most of my closer in 2002 with Strawberry Soup, and even when I'm watching videos of it, I can't even tell.