Belated Prelim Review

It's that 60's and 70's aura I was referring to. The Kilties were a lot of people's favorite corps in that era, and I'd characterize them as very aggressive and confident - even scrappy - in those days. That's all I'm saying - it would be fun to see more of that from the revitalized Kilties. And "aggressive and confident" does not exclude "finesse" at all. :innocent:

Thanks for clarifying Ron!

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks for clarifying Ron!

Sure! I think about how the Renegades came into DCA with their "take no prisoners" attitude, and it served them well. The Kilties could adopt a similar persona, since it's close to what they originally were. But hey, I'm not lobbying for that at all - I'm just making a suggestion. I respect what the Kilties have done over the last few years, and if they want to create a different path, who am I to judge? :thumbup:

One thing I would argue for is that the Kilties have such a unique look that they should play it up as much as possible! It's a brilliant uniform and it's adaptable to many different musical styles. I think you guys could do jazz as well as Minnesota Brass, or symphonic as well as the Buccaneers. But always add a hint of that old Scottish flair.

Let me wax philosophic here for a moment... :satisfied:

The Scots - as a culture - have a "look" that is unique, thanks to the traditional kilts. But their music is not as well known nor as entrenched in the human psyche as, say, the Spanish. Which is why I made the statement above. The Caballeros are almost dependent upon an interpretation of Spanish/Hispanic music. And they always do a #### good job of it. But Scottish music has never infiltrated itself into the American psyche as deeply. Thus, the Kilties could choose just about any genre of music, add the merest hint of traditional Scottish tunes or musical treatments, and end up as a crowd favorite.

In any case, I hope the Kilties continue on their path towards excellence. It's only going to make everybody better!

Edited by Ron H

Thanks for clarifying Ron; I was just about to post a couple pics of our bus driver takin' down a gent who tried to board our bus in Rochester to illustrate the "bad boy" is there (when called out), but just more behind the scenes. :thumbup:

My top secret sources from the Department of Homeland Security mentioned The Kilts may present a production of the polka scene in America (a walk down memory lane of sorts).......I believe the working title is "You Polka...you brought her". :blink:

Sure! I think about how the Renegades came into DCA with their "take no prisoners" attitude, and it served them well. The Kilties could adopt a similar persona, since it's close to what they originally were. But hey, I'm not lobbying for that at all - I'm just making a suggestion. I respect what the Kilties have done over the last few years, and if they want to create a different path, who am I to judge? :thumbup:

One thing I would argue for is that the Kilties have such a unique look that they should play it up as much as possible! It's a brilliant uniform and it's adaptable to many different musical styles. I think you guys could do jazz as well as Minnesota Brass, or symphonic as well as the Buccaneers. But always add a hint of that old Scottish flair.

The Scots - as a culture - have a "look" that is unique, thanks to the traditional kilts. But their music is not as well known nor as entrenched in the human psyche as, say, the Spanish. Which is why I made the statement above. The Caballeros are almost dependent upon an interpretation of Spanish/Hispanic music. And they always do a #### good job of it. But Scottish music has never infiltrated itself into the American psyche as deeply. Thus, the Kilties could choose just about any genre of music, add the merest hint of traditional Scottish tunes or musical treatments, and end up as a crowd favorite.

In any case, I hope the Kilties continue on their path towards excellence. It's only going to make everybody better!

Hello Ron! Actually, Scottish Music and roots can be traced to the Appalachain music in the United States. he immigration of Scots/Irish to areas of the Appalachain Mountain region of the U.S.

is well documented. Did you know, for instance, that what we know as "country music" has it's roots

in bluegrass music, which it turn, has IT'S roots in Scots/Irish music (or Celtic music)?

In fact, Renissance compositions from the European continent "donated" alot of themes to Scottish folk music. Traces of "Scots gaelic" language can be found among the Appalachain folks who reside

in Southeastern Ohio/West Virginia.If you travel east from my county in southwest Ohio, on state route 32, the farther you travel, you begin to see the Celtic heritage and influence in the items being sold at roadside shops. Claymores, tartans, even home items with a Celtic design. But back to the music: The Scottish Highlanders were an intimidating fighting force and nothing stirred thier blood

more than the sound of the "pipes"... Yes.. Bagpipes! They were used to "psch" up the troops, before battle! Rest assured Ron... We Kilties honor our past and will always play to our audience. Look no further than our Honorguard, to see our past... in the uniforms, the weoponry, the National Flag of Scotland, the Cross of St. Andrews, The various Tartans the corps has worn over the years and much more! The 2010 show has yet to be announced, But I am positive it will entertain all who see and hear it!

Junior Kilties certainly established a reputation for both jazz and rock during their DCI heyday and even more styles pre DCI. I dont know what the 2010 production is but personally I think jazz is already well represented in DCA. We did perform Eli's Comin' in 2007 and it wasnt one of my favorites. Having said that, with Scott Stewart at the helm, I wouldnt rule out a return to a jazz at some point in a way that will credit the corps. I do think Kilties are creating a nice niche with semi classical and renaissance music. And as a corps I believe the Sr. Kilties should continue to move towards creating their own musical legacy rather than falling back on what they did during their junior years, for one thing I don't think they can top those great 60's-70's corps.

Personally I look forward to the day DCA views the corps on its own merits rather than what they were 40 years ago.

Edited by Scerpella

• 2 weeks later...
Hello Ron! Actually, Scottish Music and roots can be traced to the Appalachain music in the United States. he immigration of Scots/Irish to areas of the Appalachain Mountain region of the U.S.

is well documented. Did you know, for instance, that what we know as "country music" has it's roots

in bluegrass music, which it turn, has IT'S roots in Scots/Irish music (or Celtic music)?

In fact, Renissance compositions from the European continent "donated" alot of themes to Scottish folk music. Traces of "Scots gaelic" language can be found among the Appalachain folks who reside

in Southeastern Ohio/West Virginia.If you travel east from my county in southwest Ohio, on state route 32, the farther you travel, you begin to see the Celtic heritage and influence in the items being sold at roadside shops. Claymores, tartans, even home items with a Celtic design. But back to the music: The Scottish Highlanders were an intimidating fighting force and nothing stirred thier blood

more than the sound of the "pipes"... Yes.. Bagpipes! They were used to "psch" up the troops, before battle! Rest assured Ron... We Kilties honor our past and will always play to our audience. Look no further than our Honorguard, to see our past... in the uniforms, the weoponry, the National Flag of Scotland, the Cross of St. Andrews, The various Tartans the corps has worn over the years and much more! The 2010 show has yet to be announced, But I am positive it will entertain all who see and hear it!

I wonder if you put a bell front instrument onto one of the bag pipes could you get away with it? :blink:

Or you could do a very-recognizable show that is Scottish - "The Music of the Bay City Rollers". It would have the merit of never having been done before in drum corps. Your opener could be "Saturday Night".

Or maybe some Rod Stewart. "Tonight's the Night" could be a great ballad. Lots of great Scottish music to be exploited in drum corps.

[chirp, chirp...]

Just sayin'...

Or you could do a very-recognizable show that is Scottish - "The Music of the Bay City Rollers". It would have the merit of never having been done before in drum corps. Your opener could be "Saturday Night".

Or maybe some Rod Stewart. "Tonight's the Night" could be a great ballad. Lots of great Scottish music to be exploited in drum corps.

[chirp, chirp...]

Just sayin'...

LOL! I saw "Bay City Rollers" Stage costumes in the rock and roll hall of fame, in Cleveland.

Forgot what Tartan they were made from... Though I don't see how they could be considered rock and roll... more of a "pop" group. Of course, in the same display, they had Brittney Spears stage costume as well, so If a lip-synching "cheerleader" can make the HOF, Let's just put the "Backstreet boys" stuff in there too! (Oh yeah... They had that, as well!) Now... about those Rod Stewart ballads...

:blink:

Junior Kilties certainly established a reputation for both jazz and rock during their DCI heyday and even more styles pre DCI. I dont know what the 2010 production is but personally I think jazz is already well represented in DCA. We did perform Eli's Comin' in 2007 and it wasnt one of my favorites. Having said that, with Scott Stewart at the helm, I wouldnt rule out a return to a jazz at some point in a way that will credit the corps. I do think Kilties are creating a nice niche with semi classical and renaissance music. And as a corps I believe the Sr. Kilties should continue to move towards creating their own musical legacy rather than falling back on what they did during their junior years, for one thing I don't think they can top those great 60's-70's corps.

Personally I look forward to the day DCA views the corps on its own merits rather than what they were 40 years ago.

if that was the case Dan, Empire and Bush and probably 50% of the corps wouldn't be thought of at all.