Belated Prelim Review

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 3 weeks later...
Thank you for your kind review.

As a side note, not only were there a "chock full of tempo changes", but (especially in the 2nd Movement) multiple time signature changes. Marching to (what is almost random in nature) alternating time (measure by measure) signatures of 4/4, 3/8, 2/8, 2/4 in no seemingly sensible order is quite a accomplished skill in itself; with the corps working endless hours refining. I do think the corps visually performed it so flawlessly and refined it went totally unnoticed and the credit due was not given in the rewarding manner it should have. Of course this is simply my opinion; but a opinion being based off of my time and experience as a (once) drum corps adjudicator.

And all that information and 47 cents still only gets ya a senior cup of coffee at the local McDonalds. :tongue:

Kilties get scored fairly just like everyone else. The Kilties haven't had a product good enough to be in finals, that is all it is.

I have been in the concessions area and heard many Kilties members, while in partial uniform ##### and moan about how they get screwed over, the judges are out to get them, theories this, conspiracy that. Its quite simple really...get a great staff, design a program, practice smart, practice hard and the rewards will come.

Kilties get scored fairly just like everyone else. The Kilties haven't had a product good enough to be in finals, that is all it is.

I have been in the concessions area and heard many Kilties members, while in partial uniform ##### and moan about how they get screwed over, the judges are out to get them, theories this, conspiracy that. Its quite simple really...get a great staff, design a program, practice smart, practice hard and the rewards will come.

And to be fair, had a talk with a current Kiltie member before Finals who has been with other corps (sometimes that makes a big difference). Guy laid out some good reasons why some captions were low and how the corps could improve them for 2010. Wasn't happy with just missing Fianls but couldn't argue with the score.

And to be fair, had a talk with a current Kiltie member before Finals who has been with other corps (sometimes that makes a big difference). Guy laid out some good reasons why some captions were low and how the corps could improve them for 2010. Wasn't happy with just missing Fianls but couldn't argue with the score.

The Kilties may be one of the most entertaining and Crowd favorite Corps' out there to never make the night show. Ya.....maybe nostalgia kicks in here for me but, I will never miss their show. Trying to mix the new while preserving to old is really a tough sell given the perameters of adjudication. Just sayin........

The Kilties may be one of the most entertaining and Crowd favorite Corps' out there to never make the night show. Ya.....maybe nostalgia kicks in here for me but, I will never miss their show. Trying to mix the new while preserving to old is really a tough sell given the perameters of adjudication. Just sayin........

True enough, but they have made the night (Finals) show in the past, unless you were just referring to this year. It was a tough year to make Finals. Hopefully next year will be even tougher! Not for nothing, the Kilties did improve. They did not even come close to making Finals last year or the year before. It is a process.

No one has done that here so I have to wonder why you chose to characterize Kilties this way. Every corps has people who think they could have or should have done better with the judges including finalists who #### and moan in uniform and on this and other forums that they were not fairly adjudicated. Nor do you have any idea how hard we work so you're better sticking to commentary which you can back up.

I will tell you that Kilties came off the field feeling very good about our performance and that seemed to be borne out by 95% of the feedback we have gotten from knowledgeable people who were at the event who believed like us that Kilties had done a good enough job to come back Sunday, some of them having us higher than 10th. Ultimately its a disappointment but the experience is not destroyed because of one mark we didnt agree with. It was a great summer of performances. Kilties will be back and our main hope is that we play memorable and entertaining shows for appreciative fans.

Edited by Scerpella

...I will tell you that Kilties came off the field feeling very good about our performance and that seemed to be borne out by 95% of the feedback we have gotten from knowledgeable people who were at the event who believed like us that Kilties had done a good enough job to come back Sunday, some of them having us higher than 10th...

I was there. I agree with you. The Kilties are on their way.

What I would like to see from the Kilties is a sudden devastating re-interpretation of their essential "bad boy" tradition - one that emphasizes aggression and confidence. Bring ALL the sections forward to play the game!!!

Do it in an innovative way! Surprise the drum corps community with a show that hasn't been seen before! My gods, you have the talent there. Capitalize on it!

Scott, you listening? :innocent:

What I would like to see from the Kilties is a sudden devastating re-interpretation of their essential "bad boy" tradition - one that emphasizes aggression and confidence.

Can you elaborate on that a bit? Im confused about the "badboy" comment. Back in the 90's when it was mainly Kilties Jr Alumni looking to bring back the 60s-70s aura, they were hell raisers in a way. But that has been essentially a forgotten tradition for at least 6-7 years now. There is nothing bad boy about the Kilties, if thats what youre referring to. Or are you suggesting that the performance style is kind of all guts no finesse? As I say please explain that a bit more.

Can you elaborate on that a bit? Im confused about the "badboy" comment. Back in the 90's when it was mainly Kilties Jr Alumni looking to bring back the 60s-70s aura, they were hell raisers in a way. But that has been essentially a forgotten tradition for at least 6-7 years now. There is nothing bad boy about the Kilties, if thats what youre referring to. Or are you suggesting that the performance style is kind of all guts no finesse? As I say please explain that a bit more.

It's that 60's and 70's aura I was referring to. The Kilties were a lot of people's favorite corps in that era, and I'd characterize them as very aggressive and confident - even scrappy - in those days. That's all I'm saying - it would be fun to see more of that from the revitalized Kilties. And "aggressive and confident" does not exclude "finesse" at all. :innocent: