Just an observation

When Cadets usred tables and all sorts of garbage to litter the field with, they were unmercifully insulted, slammed and basically told how stupid and overkill it all was. Now this year Blue Devils win with 700 chairs on the field, Blue Star place high with so much junk on the field it was hard to find the field, and no rants and raves. I know some have said that BD was boring and got to sit and play, but nothing like the Garfield slams. What gives?

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Problem was Gaaa-fields tables were such an ugly shade of pink???? Least they were at the Gettysburg pre-season exhibition.

Which led to another unforgettible crowd comment: "Yeah, my kid paid big bucks to play in a Drum Corps and they made him a furniture mover". :laughing: Said as the horn line entered the field. (Horn in one hand and corner of the table in another.)

I don't see how you missed them. BD got all kinds of grief about the chairs. Blue Stars got some as well. Especially after they lost all their tables to a storm just before finals. The complaints didn't come from me though.

And for the record, I didn't complain about Cadets using tables. There were enough other things for me to complain about in that show without even mentioning the tables. :laughing:

I don't see how you missed them. BD got all kinds of grief about the chairs. Blue Stars got some as well. Especially after they lost all their tables to a storm just before finals. The complaints didn't come from me though.

And for the record, I didn't complain about Cadets using tables. There were enough other things for me to complain about in that show without even mentioning the tables. :laughing:

This.

When Cadets usred tables and all sorts of garbage to litter the field with, they were unmercifully insulted, slammed and basically told how stupid and overkill it all was. Now this year Blue Devils win with 700 chairs on the field, Blue Star place high with so much junk on the field it was hard to find the field, and no rants and raves. I know some have said that BD was boring and got to sit and play, but nothing like the Garfield slams. What gives?

Could it be that most now understand that props (if done tastefully) can serve to enhance a performance? True, there will always be the "purists" that want only marching/twirling guards, nothing electronic/mic'd (pure acoutistic) and everything on the field moving. I'm curious to see which direction Mason and crew go with the Scouts next year. My guess is, they'll embrace innovation and take it up a notch. Concerning BD, my guess is that they will see props as "been there, done that"..so time to move on.

We've been desensitized over time.

The grief they got was minute compared to the 50 page rants on the Cadets. Every other thread was about those nasty bad drum corps killing Cadets.

Very interesting topic...It is funny how a big part of The Cadets is innovation, in 2006 we saw just that. (now im not going to say that i like the show...but It was new and different) Now, we are seeing all types of props. What if it was BD that used those benches in 2006, would the reaction have been the same?

Keep in mind, Cadets have been innovaters for a long time. They brought Tubas to the activity for goodness sake.

It is hard for people to accept something new and different. (early rock and roll anyone?) Back then the Gvmt arrested DJ's for playing rock and roll music. My point is this: Generally, people do not react well to change. The Cadets are about innovation, they will continue to push the boundries, the will continue to get crap, they will continue to be a leading role in shaping the future of DCI.

*Would Blue Stars, and BD have used their props if the Cadets didn't try it first? Maybe, the world will never know.

~~ McLoven

Ummmm....yeah. Guess you didn't read this forum all summer. BD was criticized all day, every day, for using chairs. So, I'm not buying your claim.

The grief they got was minute compared to the 50 page rants on the Cadets. Every other thread was about those nasty bad drum corps killing Cadets.

The grief that year came primarily from the show concept; the tables were an afterthought to most who probably had more of a beef with the singing and "Tea Party" narrative interjection along with the disjointed presentation.

Props are nothing new. SCV and many others were using them (re: 1994 Red Poppy, 1989 Phantom of The Opera, many of the Sky Ryders years) long before Cadets brought out a few tables in 2006.