Raise the Age Out Limit to 24

• Replies 198
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I want to get on with my life!!!!

College undergrads can't keep doing drum corps for 3 or 4 years after they graduate. Realize some are music ed teachers and start school or band camps before finals week

And not all are music majors. If I just scored a business internship I would be asking for the entire summer off

I don't think it would be a positive reaction from the majority of participants.

If you did that, you'd likely see this becoming a more college-age activity with greater #'s of HS-age kids who might otherwise have marched choosing to stay home becasue they can't make Cavies or BD.

Besides, kids ages 24-25 already HAVE a perfectly good option for marching. It's called DCA.

Besides, kids ages 24-25 already HAVE a perfectly good option for marching. It's called DCA.

Word! You can stay in the activity for as long as you want to already.

Once you're in the working world and in a family mode, I think it would be difficult to be able to go away for the summer.

All-Age corps are available to satisfy the desire to continue to perform in the marching arts activity.

Allowing members beyond 21 to stay in would limit the number of available spots to younger newcomers and maybe even discourage HS students from even auditioning.

Plus I know it isn't the same, but volunteering with a corps is satisfying and appreciated. It's a way to stay close.

DCI markets itself - and is bound in its charter - as a youth activity. I got to ask a DCI BoD member about this once, and he said that they don't expect to ever consider it because changing it away from a stated youth activity would cause many more problems than it would solve.

Mike

DCI markets itself - and is bound in its charter - as a youth activity.

So how do they deal with the "you're only as old as you feel!" crowd?

yea i don't think that'll happen. i know drumcorps is a great activity but alot of people do want to be done with it. people actually want to have money in thier bank accounts.. that and after doing drumcorps after many years your body starts to breakdown i guess u could say. i know plenty of people with injuries because of drumcorps. also, can u imagine not having a age out ceremony for a few years? it'll just be weird.