Why Academy, Colts, etc can't win next year

Don't you hate when people answer thier own question, Well your going to hate me.

Why couldn't a 8-14 place corps win it all or even a 16 to ?? or a Open class corps make finals. First I know all about Magic making finals as a D2 corps but were they reallyt D2?

Only in Drum Corps is the top 3 or 4 heck sone years top 9 known 3/4 of the way into the season. One issue I have with the activity is that there can't be upsets.

Then again, drum corps is a lot like diving, gymastics, skating and similar such judged sports where the "elite" competitors dominate the medal stand. Why should we be surprised when the best win?

HH

Only in Drum Corps is the top 3 or 4 heck sone years top 9 known 3/4 of the way into the season.

My bad, but could you translate this for me?

Blue Devils : New York Yankees

Colts : Toronto Blue Jays

' Nuff said ?

Blue Jays 10, Yankees 4

You just made the OP's point for him. On any given day, a sports team can beat another. But I'll concede that drum corps isn't like other competitive sports.

Garry in Vegas

Edited by CrunchyTenor

the top 3 or 4 and sometimes the top 9 are pretty much placed in order by the allentown show

Yeah...pretty much - but why shouldnt they be? Is a 6th place corps going to change something....in a season thats gone on for half a year in some ways....over the next 2 weeks to magically vault to first? Is the first place corps going to go get ice cream instead of rehearsing, and get worse (oops...we did that it 05....but not the second part). I would perhaps be FOR a little more variance show to show, as corps are not perfectly consistent ever, but to think that these major changes and constant flip flopping would happen is a bit much. Besides, wasnt it less than 20 months ago that the 4th seeded corps in quarterfinals won it all on finals night?? What more do we want?

(yes, wcutuba, i realize you were just 'translating')

the top 3 or 4 and sometimes the top 9 are pretty much placed in order by the allentown show

Now that I think about it, uncool. You're correct, and I've felt the same way for years now. BITD, you could bet on the top four or so corps to come in any order--some blame the tick, others the lack of it, but yeah, whoever is first around Aug. 1st is a good bet to take the show.

Although marching in white and black and not announcing the corps could spice things up a bit, I'd have to agree with a lot of the posters here, it wouldn't change very much. I do think it might mix corps...say 9th to 15th up a little bit, depending on the show. The top eight corps right now have a very viable system. Those guys know how to design a show, what to teach the kids, and when to kick it up a notch (BAM?) Colts fan to the end but its true, they have never played or marched as well as BD, Phantom, or Cavies. My opinion is that it is all about the design and staffing, not as much talent. I know for a fact that when I marched a "lower-tier" corps that we had people with amazing talent marching and playing wise. Yeah, we didn't have 150 amazing marchers or players but more than half could have stood to march a higher velocity show and play harder music. In the end, not much would change...I like the thought, interesting idea but wouldn't do a lot score wise.

I understand what you are getting at here and I agree... kind of.

There is a little bit of benefit of the doubt given to some corps at the beginning of the season and maybe even some prejudice against some other corps at the beginning of the season. BUT I think things work themselves out right by the end of the season. An example of this would be Phantom this past year. Champs in 2008 and then came out of the gates scoring right in the mix with everyone else at the top. After multiple veiwings the judges felt that they should be lower... and lower.... and lower. In my opinion, their placement at the end was right.

The biggest reason why you don't see those corps down in the lower part of the pack not winning is because they are nowhere near the level of the Blue Devils, Crown, & The Cavaliers. They just aren't. There is really arguing the what-ifs until we see a corps that was 8-14th make a meteoric rise to the top by PERFORMING well enough to do so (not even mentioning having a top tier show design).

Two things of note:

1- you mentioned 16- whatever place corps can't make finals. The Troopers proved that is untrue. They were 16th in 2008 and nobody outside of Casper thought they would make finals in 2010... but they did.

2. In 1997. SCV was scoring over 10 points behind the blue devils at their home show. Many people thought they would not make finals (they were that bad). They tied BD for first at quarters that year and ended up taking third.... soooo I am not sure that the judges should be completely hung out to dry. They got it right in the beginning of the season with BD & SCV and they got it right at Qf's as well as finals.

so full of win