Why Academy, Colts, etc can't win next year

I realized how wrong I was. Most of you are right. It was wrong of me to question the system, it works and everyone is happy. I apologize for my arrogance. :grouphug: Can I have another cup of the Kool-aid pleae, the first tasted so....... :tongue:

questioning the system is fine. my question to you is who much do you really know and understand about the current system?

True.... and maybe the Toronto Blue Jays could learn to hit, field, and throw a baseball better than the New York Yankees too. It seems to me that the Colts "could design a show " and execute it better than the Blue Devils with the same chances as the Toronto Blue Jays can put out a baseball team that can finish ahead of the New York Yankees in the AL East.

What's with the Toronto hating?? Huh? They are more like Star. They got really ####### good in the early 90's and we haven't heard from them since.

Ask Ream about the Jays. :grouphug:

What's with the Toronto hating?? Huh? They are more like Star. They got really ####### good in the early 90's and we haven't heard from them since.

I hope the Leafs suck forever.

:tongue:

Wonderful comparison.

I hope the Leafs suck forever.

:grouphug:

Me too.

Even having a glimmer of hope inevitably leads to disappointment.

There are several corps that have systems in place both organization wise and instruction wise that they will never fall very far in only one year. Those are the type corps that have a "bad year" and finish still in the top 5. Now IF one of those corps had back to back "off seasons" you might see a more precipitous drop over the course of a couple of years.

Stability of their organization and their staff keeps them at the forefront of the activity. In my opinion, we are watching Crown develop that kind of organization and I think you will see them taking their place among "the elite" because of it in the next decade.

I don't think your take on the original thread is correct, or maybe I am wrong, but the jist is this. A top 6 corps should have the talent and the ability to beat other top 6 corps on a given show just as the next 6 should be able to float around and etc. But it RARELY if ever happens.

Did you not see what went on between Crown, Cadets and Cavaliers last summer?

Like you said, you had a bad performance and still got to win. That is WRONG. That proves judging isn't done fairly nor consistently.

Actually, he said that one part of the show was bad, not the entire show. He also pointed out that the problem didn't affect every section of the corps. Having not been there, you really can't say whether it was wrong or unfair. You're really jumping to some conclusions here.

Honestly answer this: The Colts are averaging 13th place and the Mandarins are averaging 20th place. The Colts show on night X is horrible. There are members out with the flu, there are all kinds of horn fracks and the drumline drums its worst show. The colorguard drops everything that is picked up. Meanwhile Mandarins have the best show of their lives and everything falls into place. Sound is great, colorguard catches everything thrown their way and the show goes as perfect as it can be. Now how do you HONESTLY think the judges are going to place these two? You know how, so let me hear it. :grouphug:

a) Your scenario is pretty far fetched.

b) You only address very obvious performance mistakes. The scoring system is much more complex and can even reward performers for aspects of training, skill and performance quality in spite of an obvious error.

c) There is no way to make an intelligent assessment based on your description. There is far more to the judging process than

Blue Jays 10, Yankees 4

You just made the OP's point for him. On any given day, a sports team can beat another. But I'll concede that drum corps isn't like other competitive sports.

Garry in Vegas

Baseball teams change lineups frequently. The starting pitchers, for instance, change. And the starting pitchers are not all alike in talent and experience level. I agree then that it's more possible for the Toronto Blue Jays to beat the New York Yankees a few times during the course of the season in head to head match ups. But like DCI, the chances of the Colts finishing ahead of the Blue Devils in any season final is about the same chance of the Toronto Blue Jays finishing ahead of the New York Yankees come the playoffs. That said, I do recognize your central point that the Jays can beat the Yankees on any given day, while the chances of the Colts beating the Blue Devils on any given day are on par with the chances of Bernie Sanders doing a future TV commercial for Aetna Insurance Co...... is essence, no chance.

Did you not see what went on between Crown, Cadets and Cavaliers last summer?

Yes, and those were great examples, but that isn't always the case, as it probably should be.

a) Your scenario is pretty far fetched.

My scenario is a set up with an obvious answer. The corps can do whatever they want and get or not get credit for it, DESPITE their actual performance of that said evening. Also, I only picked those two as an example and it has nothing to do with any real shows or happenings. Just a made up scenario using two corps by name. I should have said corps A and corps B, but the scenario is the same.

Baseball teams change lineups frequently. The starting pitchers, for instance, change. And the starting pitchers are not all alike in talent and experience level. I agree then that it's more possible for the Toronto Blue Jays to beat the New York Yankees a few times during the course of the season in head to head match ups. But like DCI, the chances of the Colts finishing ahead of the Blue Devils in any season final is about the same chance of the Toronto Blue Jays finishing ahead of the New York Yankees come the playoffs. That said, I do recognize your central point that the Jays can beat the Yankees on any given day, while the chances of the Colts beating the Blue Devils on any given day are on par with the chances of Bernie Sanders doing a future TV commercial for Aetna Insurance Co...... is essence, no chance.

:grouphug: EXACTLY the point. Its too bad that DCI has become this way with a few elites and a few upper echelon and a bunch of 13ths on down. Lack of available corps to join has made this the case. Top talent chasing rings and then the rest fighting for position.