Why Academy, Colts, etc can't win next year

Since very few "kids" are in top 12 corps we need to stop thinking about how they feel. Its really about winning point blank-period. The doing best for kids went out of the activity years ago. Its about taking the best "kids" and winning. While several corps do give the not so good performers a chance I don't see anyone in the top..say 15-16 giving someone a chance to learn how to play an instrutment or twirl a flag (do they still do that). NO they have auditions and try outs.

The average age of a corps tells alot. I understand that Madisons average age has been around 17 for the last couple of years. While that may not be the sole reason for thier placement lately it plays a big factor. And the problem (at least to me) is that as a corps moves up it leaves kids behind.

or...you can do like a Crown and Blue Stars and do things to retain them!

imagine that...novel concept.

you do realize when Blue Stars finally broke into WC and made noise, they had kids in the corps that had been there since the D3 days right?

so right there, thats kills your argument.

guess what...drum corps isnt about local loyalties anymore, and hasn't been for years. corps hopping has been something happening since at least the 70's, and from stories I've seen on here, well before then.

• Like 1

A " team " can move up the pecking order very quickly if they have great financial resources. For example, the Star of Indiana early on in their development got the lay of the land in DCI and decided that in order to realistically compete in the upper echelon, they would need to commit finances to go out and secure the best show designers, instructors in the business at that time. They went out and secured those staff members and paid those staff members commensurate with their lofty reputations in the business.. And it worked as planned. Those staff with pedigree attracted top notch talent to auditions, and the Corps quickly rose up the ranks of DCI over those Corps that were incapable or unwilling to commit such large amounts of financial commitments to securing the best staff money could buy.

The single biggest determing factor in placement success in DCI above all others is...... money. It is no coincidence that the Corps at the very top of the activity have financial resources that dwarf those of Academy and Colts ( the subject of this thread ) With such financial resources come the best staff money can buy. One truism we have seen is that once Corps lose those financial resources ( for whatever reason ) and can't replenish it, one sees staff leave..... to other Corps with stronger financial resources..... and such loss of staff..... ultimately leads to loss of quality of member talent, which in turn shows up in placement scores. What is the lesson here ? It's this : show us the Corps with the most money to commit to bringing in the best staff, and you will find that Corps moving up the pecking order in DCI. And conversely, show us a team having financial difficulties, and all the sweat, hard work, long hours of practice and member commitment made by the members and the staff that Corps brings to the field of competition frankly won't mean a hill of beans by comparison. So I agree, it's not worth mulling too much over during this holiday season... or at any time.... for that matter, as the formula for placement success in DCI is not rocket science. When I want to know how a Corps is going to do in the next 2 years placement wise, I don't ask " how many horns ya going out with ?... " "how many showed up for auditions ? "or...." what's the show theme" ?, etc ? I would ask the Corps instead that famous TV commercial jingle..... " what's in YOUR wallet" ? If I know that, I really need all I need to know as to that Corps chances of moving up or not placement wise in the future.

and even with those resources, it still took Star time to crack the top 5. just having big names and money alone won't do it. time and patience is also required

• Like 1

you do realize when Blue Stars finally broke into WC and made noise, they had kids in the corps that had been there since the D3 days right?

so right there, thats kills your argument.

So one corps out of 20 makes it a rule of thumb, or does 19 out of 20?

Jeff said:

...and then he said:

guess what...drum corps isnt about local loyalties anymore, and hasn't been for years.

But these two statements are kinda at odds with one another, aren't they? Just sayin' :worthy:

Fred O.

Jeff said:

...and then he said:

But these two statements are kinda at odds with one another, aren't they? Just sayin' :worthy:

Fred O.

If you can wrap your brain around the fact that things arent always necessarily the same way for every circumstance, then no, they are not. In general, corps loyalty is not numero uno on people's list, but if you make your corps worth sticking with, then it becomes more likely.

If someone is trying to generalize, then one exception does kill the theory actually. Of course, there is more than one....

one does make it everyone, but it shows you what can be done.

it's not Blue Stars fault others can't learn from it and use it to their advantage.

Jeff said:

...and then he said:

Fred O.

they are. you'll never stop corps hopping. But with smart planning, and building your brand from within, you can slow it the hell down.