Why Academy, Colts, etc can't win next year

Im not even going touch the 'working hard' mentality, because im sure people will get defensive about that, but they are one of the corps that absolutely has the "work smart, not hard" mentality. I guess when you have the best talent in the world, you can do that :thumbup:

And this. lol.

Being very close with several recent members of BD, that is exactly the mentality I believe they have. Many members have told me countless stories of them sleeping until 2pm, smoking and drinking constantly, and goofing around during rehearsal. Its all about the talent.

And this. lol.

Being very close with several recent members of BD, that is exactly the mentality I believe they have. Many members have told me countless stories of them sleeping until 2pm, smoking and drinking constantly, and goofing around during rehearsal. Its all about the talent.

Like I said....not gonna go there :thumbup: ......

Also, everyone would be able to tell the Cavaliers are the Cavaliers by the way they march, same with Cadets, Blue Knights, etc. I just don't think it's possible to remove any and all "slotting bias" realistically.

very true, each corps has their own style. there's no real way to have a completely unbiased competition. I don't really agree ith the scores this year (troopers should NOT have gotten 12th, sorry troopers fans, but Academy and colts were clearly better) and that's obviously biased there because they're an older corps.

As for the general topic, I'm an Academy peep, and I know we won't win this year. Nothing like that happens. It sucks, bias sucks, buit right now there's no solution

Face it...DCI is boring now. There is always 1 sleeper to make Finals and the rest are pretty much a given. The judges are expected to give the usuals their placements. Like one of the first pages of this thread relating corps to the Yankees and the Blue Jays...DCI has no salary cap. JUST LIKE BASEBALL. So, those BIG PAYERS get the staff they want, thus propelling them to maintaining their dominance.

It's sad and I think we'd all like to see some movement and different winners....LIKE IT USED TO BE. But hey...We all know that will never happen again. Just like we will never see 30+ corps rolling into quarterfinals. Kids now have in their mind. "I have to march xxxxx corps and if I don't make it, I'm not marching."

As much as I love the activity...It's not what it was once intended for and I find that saddening.

Face it...DCI is boring now. There is always 1 sleeper to make Finals and the rest are pretty much a given. The judges are expected to give the usuals their placements. Like one of the first pages of this thread relating corps to the Yankees and the Blue Jays...DCI has no salary cap. JUST LIKE BASEBALL. So, those BIG PAYERS get the staff they want, thus propelling them to maintaining their dominance.

It's sad and I think we'd all like to see some movement and different winners....LIKE IT USED TO BE. But hey...We all know that will never happen again. Just like we will never see 30+ corps rolling into quarterfinals. Kids now have in their mind. "I have to march xxxxx corps and if I don't make it, I'm not marching."

As much as I love the activity...It's not what it was once intended for and I find that saddening.

I get your point, but... please, I'm done with the whining about BITD vs. now. The world changes, it's sad sometimes, but it's the only world we have. I learn to try and cope.

That being said: good first post i guess.

And this. lol.

Sounds like the New York Yankees, Boston Celtics, LA Lakers, etc..... and stories from outsiders, that they really don't work all that hard in order to win all their titles. And that people with talent tend not to work all that hard in perfecting their talent. We do hear these things said a lot, not only in drum corps, but in sports..... and about highly successful people in general, for that matter.

Edited by BRASSO

Oh, Absolutely 100% true. But for those of us that lack your particular brand of insight, could you please tell us who got their championship because of judging bias, or who maybe who made finals based only on historical success and nothing else (and no, troopers dont count, having been out of finals for decades, and not even on the field a few years back). I'd really love to discuss this with you, and point out some literal examples of corps that should have won, but placed out of the top 5 or 6 due to slotting.

Oh, Absolutely 100% true. But for those of us that lack your particular brand of insight, could you please tell us who got their championship because of judging bias, or who maybe who made finals based only on historical success and nothing else (and no, troopers dont count, having been out of finals for decades, and not even on the field a few years back). I'd really love to discuss this with you, and point out some literal examples of corps that should have won, but placed out of the top 5 or 6 due to slotting.

You keep on asking Nick. Maybe some day someone will come out and play! :thumbup:

Did you even read ANY of the 17 pages of this thread?

There are a lot of very logical explanations in here about why DCI judging is the way it is, why it makes NO SENSE to compare it to any other competitive sports, and why upsets can't really happen.

:thumbup:

It's been an interesting read, but I'm afraid the conversation is about to start all over again... lol

Edited by Brigscontrachik05

Don't you hate when people answer thier own question, Well your going to hate me.

Why couldn't a 8-14 place corps win it all or even a 16 to ?? or a Open class corps make finals. First I know all about Magic making finals as a D2 corps but were they reallyt D2?

Only in Drum Corps is the top 3 or 4 heck sone years top 9 known 3/4 of the way into the season. One issue I have with the activity is that there can't be upsets. In football one team can beat another on any given day, same with golf, tennis, baseball, horseshoes and even war. (this is were someone points out Nascar) But not drum corps. If say the Colts came out and beat Blue Devils in August, what would people think. And I'm not talking about a down year by BD. I'm talking Colts 89 BD 87. Think of how it would be to have 5-7-9 corps with a chance to win the title going into finals.

I think the biggest problem is judging. Its supposed to be blank sheet judging buts its not. If corps A gets a 14.5 in drums then Corps B who had scored higher the last 2 shows has to get at least a 15. And it gets higher from there. Maybe thats why corps are scoring 99's at finals. I've read many times the outrage when scores change dramatically from show to show. But if the tick system is no longer in effect why are corps like Pioneer, Pacific Crest and others scoring so low. If judging is subjective are they being compared to what others are doing or what they are trying to do?

Drum Corps is getting like Boxing, There are favorites or those that are expected to win or place at a certain level and thats the way its going to be.

Its like most, if not all, of the professional soccer leagues in Europe. England has had pretty much the same top 4 teams for years. The top 2 have been the same in Ireland for most of 50 years. Real Madrid and Barca duke it out in Spain. It goes on and on throughout the rest of Europe.

But, none of this makes Man City's fans (or any of the other good teams that don't stand a chance of winning the league) any less passionate.

I think comparing this to boxing is slightly unfair.

• Like 1