Corps' Related Tattoo

166 members have voted

1. 1. If The Person Never Marched, Should They Get A Corps Related Tattoo?

• Yes
    • No
    • Undecided

OK...I will buy that with no problem. But what I said about the 60's is still true.

BTW, I never won the Dream either...LOL

DA

My opinion, which is just that.. I personally would take it as a compliment. That is only a logo! You buy buttons, key chains, t-shirts, mouse pads and plaster posters all over your walls now a days. What does it matter if they put the logo on themselves. Great way to promote your corps.

Now.. Some corps have internal hypes that only a marching member would understand.. The Cabs have the "Phone Co". Not many people know what that is unless you were a mellophone in the corps. I have a tattoo of our Phone Co patch on my left arm. But if someone shows up with it on them who never marched, I would agree it would be bad idea to tattoo yourself with that.. That would be like me tattooing Splewy (sp) on myself. I know it has personal meaning to the members of the Cavaliers. But I have no clue what it means.

I think it's a wash. 50% of the drum corps back when I marched 20 years ago have folded. :tongue:

That is a shame but at least you'd remember them fondly still with that tattoo. If your marriage folds (excluding death) I don't think you'd want a tattoo to remember it :tongue:

Looking through the facebook group about corps related tattoos, I got to thinking about this particular issue.

If the person never marched with the corps, would it be considered taboo to get an insignia of that certain corps?

It seems like it would be the ultimate sign of support - permanently marked on your body.

What are your thoughts?

Most people aren't Chinese or Japanese yet they get symbols in those languages tattooed on their body so no.

You're comparing Gail Royer to some average joe who just happens to get a tattoo of a corps he likes? As much as I don't really care about the overall topic, that is a terrible analogy.

:tongue:

I have a friend who has a "M" tattoo on each cheek.

When he bends over it says MoM, when he stands on his head it says WoW. :tongue:

Nice George Carlin reference.

I vote "yes". It's just like all the NFL tattoos worn by people that are fans of a particular franchise. Maybe this elitist attitude of you can't have a tattoo unless you marched is one of the reasons why corps are struggling for money all the time. Build the fan base.

Now on a practical side, I wouldn't get one because no matter what corps tattoo you get they'll probably change their logo next year.

I vote "yes". It's just like all the NFL tattoos worn by people that are fans of a particular franchise. Maybe this elitist attitude of you can't have a tattoo unless you marched is one of the reasons why corps are struggling for money all the time. Build the fan base.

Now on a practical side, I wouldn't get one because no matter what corps tattoo you get they'll probably change their logo next year.

While it's a good possibility that they could change their logo, it could be a reminder of the corps' history.