Cavaliers Hornline

Does a not-as-loud corps mean they're not as appealing?

yes. If Carolina Crown (chosen b/c they won high brass last year) opened up in a horn arc, but they were only half as loud as they are, what would you think? I would think they were lame.

Do you think chord progressions are just as fun to listen to at half volume? I don't.

Edited by soccerguy315

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The Cavaliers, in my opinion, have epitomized optimum brass playing in the last decade. They are always in tone and in tune. They employ an ensemble listening approach that is simple, effective, and all but guarantees a well-balanced brass sound.

And I second whoever said "siiiiick" to the 2003 jam session with the mellos flyin' high! Agreed. Top 5 personal favorite drum corps moment. :smile:

theyre going with Karl Hammond this year instead

Makes sense... that is what Bluecoats used with their mellos too

I think a lot of the criticism comes earlier in the season when their playing often seems restrained. By the time the finals recording is made, they have opened up more.

I agree..... it seems that perhaps earlier in the season, the brass line might be "holding back" a bit while the players get comfortable with the visual program.

Not being with the corps, I don't know for sure.

Fran

I agree..... it seems that perhaps earlier in the season, the brass line might be "holding back" a bit while the players get comfortable with the visual program.

Not being with the corps, I don't know for sure.

Fran

I think it has been mentioned on DCP that this is their strategy. They build volume as the season progresses. Instead of going from "crappy sounding and loud" to "good sounding and loud" they go "good and not loud" to "good and loud"

The Cavies always sound good. The 2002 ballad is one of the best sounding things in DCI. But if you want loud, go listen to any of the other big boys, because the Cavaliers just don't do that.

It's simple: Many many many drum corps fans think that crass and unbalanced = loud. Therefore well balanced and good tone production is inferior in terms of volume. It's just a difference between pretending to know anything about pedagogy and really knowing it.

And for an argument on volume, you really need to hit up the 2005 closer again. Knock your socks off energetic and loud loud loud.

except you can be in tune and balanced and be loud as hell. see Crown the last few years, Phantom 08, and many, many others.

I know this kills the whole "loud is out of tune argument", but then again, it hasn't always been a valid argument anyways

06 and 08.

08 is one of my favorite shows but definitely lacking in volume. 06 way overrated in my opinion, lacking volume and hardly play (yes this is my opinion but if you disagree listen to the rest of the top 5 and tell me they played a lot.)

I think 04, 05, 07, and 00 were pretty loud. 01, 02, 03, and 09 aren't really that quiet either.

agreed. if anything, they get too much credit for physical demand on the brass side of things

The main reason I was asking is that I feel like they have that crass feel everyone loves in 2002, 2003, 2004 (especially), and 2005.

I did significantly notice the difference in early season and later season though (in 2009). I remember early season laughing with my friends "Was THAT their impact point." at the first show or two i saw them in, and then later (Murfreesboro), telling my middle school band director that they werent loud, and being taken aback by the sound they pumped..

not everyone. here or RAMD :smile: