Madison Scouts 2010

Cop

Oh dear... I just watched the February Camp video. I sure hope that was early in the camp... like saturday morning...

Trumpets sounded good, but goodness, the others are just not quite there. The mellophones sounded BORED.

Edit: The only reason I say this is because I don't remember the earlier camps sounding like that.

Edited by BlooContraGuy

Oh dear... I just watched the February Camp video. I sure hope that was early in the camp... like saturday morning...

Trumpets sounded good, but goodness, the others are just not quite there. The mellophones sounded BORED.

Edit: The only reason I say this is because I don't remember the earlier camps sounding like that.

Yeah I didn't really want to say anything but I'd agree that the previous camps tid-bits sounded a little better than that particular recording.

Given they're both tid-bits I'm hoping (and assuming) that they're capable of a lot better quality performance.

BTW at this point I'm more concerned about what they're going to do with the colorguard. Right now the best image I have in my head is a classic guard look ala' early 90s or early 80s with the guard doing a "two-act-ballet" between Rhapsody and Slaughter. I don't really see any reason not to just call the show Rhapsody in Blue & Slaughter on 10th Avenue. Slaughter seems capable of carrying a storyline, though they'll obviously have to tweak it to match the all-male guard.

And whether people realize it or not, the Madison Scouts seem to be doing one of the craziest/innovative things in drum corps in a loooong while. What they are doing is a HUGE risk. Hopkins and Star of Indiana can't touch this IMO.

And whether people realize it or not, the Madison Scouts seem to be doing one of the craziest/innovative things in drum corps in a loooong while. What they are doing is a HUGE risk. Hopkins and Star of Indiana can't touch this IMO.

I don't see this. Want to explain?

Well from what just I heard, this past camp was not so much focused on cleaning at this point.

It was primarily focused on the membrs learning a ton of material - show music, drill, and

a thorough amount of foundational training on style/technique for marching basics/movement.

Well from what just I heard, this past camp was not so much focused on cleaning at this point.

It was primarily focused on the membrs learning a ton of material - show music, drill, and

a thorough amount of foundational training on style/technique for marching basics/movement.

I agree that this is probably the case too. It's early and the corps is not going to turn everything around overnight. It will take a season, maybe multiple, to get totally on track. The thing they appear to have going for them though is the "want". That will be the most powerful driving force for the corps. Best of luck guys!

Having been there, I can tell you that the brass spent 90% of the camp marching and working on visual stuff. They didn't touch their horns that often at all. I'm not excusing the sound quality, but it was certainly not a focus of this camp. There are no percussion clips on there because percussion spent most of the weekend cleaning very small parts of the show; not very exciting to film.

The whole throwback uniform change and lack of show design just seems like competitive suicide in today's drum corps world. If they can make it work competitively I'll honestly be incredibly surprised.

Not exactly amplified voice, narration, or atonal music, but I still consider it very "out there" considering where we are in show design nowadays.

...then again I haven't even seen the show yet. :lookaround:

OK... now keep explaining since they haven't fielded a show yet, at least none that I know of. We've only heard clips and haven't seen any guard work. Do you know something that we don't or are you just basing this on incomplete music clips?

Edited by skajerk

OK... now keep explaining since they haven't fielded a show yet, at least none that I know of. We've only heard clips and haven't seen any guard work. Do you know something that we don't or are you just basing this on incomplete music clips?

sorry i meant "show theme/title" not "design".

I'm only assuming they aren't going to have a title/theme for the show too. Lots of assumption in my opinions thus-far, but that's all you can really do this early in the season. They announced the music but no theme, so I'm under the assumption they won't have one.

Nope I don't know any more than anyone else...

Actually I think I'll just stop openly speculating.

Go Scouts!

Edited by NR_Ohiobando