Could the new pre-show rule lead to woodwinds?

Will the Pre-Show rule lead to woodwinds?  

216 members have voted

1. 1. Will the Pre-Show rule lead to woodwinds?

• Yes
    • No
    • It's unlcear at this point.

I'm not being 'absurd'...and I resent being told that I am. If you can't discuss the topic without putting down a person who disagrees with you, better off saying nothing.

Sorry Mike, but it's absurd. I would hope that people would let me know when I am doing the same. Actually, they do, oftentimes.

• Replies 973
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Why?

Increased variety in shows we see, for one...more varied musical arrangements as groups use different combinations of instruments. Since IMO there would be another busload of members...more people get to march.

But...my question to you is...why NOT? 'Why' is not really the question I would ask...'why not' is how I think.

Increased variety in shows we see, for one...more varied musical arrangements as groups use different combinations of instruments. Since IMO there would be another busload of members...more people get to march.

But...my question to you is...why NOT? 'Why' is not really the question I would ask...'why not' is how I think.

I'd hate to see 200 member corps on the field. I think it's getting too cluttered already, with all the chairs and stuff. ;-)

Not at all. Orchestras can use whatever instruments they need to play the music they are programming. No limits...they are free to use whatever they need.

If an orchestra was going to play one set of music for a season, and if that music needed rock band instruments...they would use them.

There is no permanent merging of these two ( symphony orchestra and rock bands ) at all. If you can show me a single instance where an orchestra did a gig with a rock band and after that gig, they used the rock band instrumentation ( guitars, drums, etc ) before their symphony orchestra patrons on a PERMANENT basis I could be persuadable. However, there's not a professional symphony orchestra in the world that would allow the mixing of conventional symphony orchestra instrumentation with conventional rock band instrumentation. The two genres will get together on occasion and do a concert. But the notion that they will blend the instrumentaion of the two genres on any sort of permanent basis is ludicrous. BOTH the Orchestra Symphonic Band Patrons and the Rock Band groupies would have a fit and would not tolerate the merging and blending of these two musical instrumentation whatsoever.

Edited by BRASSO

Doubt it. If you can show me a single instance where an orchestra did a gig with a rock band and after that gig, they used the rock band instrumentation ( guitars, drums, etc ) before their orchestra patrons on a PERMANENT basis I could be persuadable however. There is not a professional symphony orchestra in the world that would allow the mixing of conventional symphony orchestra instrumentation with conventional rock band instrumentation. The two genres will get together on occasion and do a concert. But the notion that they will blend the instrumentaion of the two genres on any sort of permanent basis is ludicrous. BOTH the Orchestra Symphonic Band Patrons and the Rock Band groupies would have a fit and would not tolerate the merging and blending of these two musical genres whatsoever.

Oh come one, don't we all want to live in the world of "August Rush"? :doh:

Why not?

Increased variety in shows we see

Oh boy how I can't wait to hear squeaks on the field! Oh wait...I already hear it, and I can hear it for a lot cheaper...at a High School football game.

more varied musical arrangements as groups use different combinations of instruments.

You say the arrangements will vary, but its going to be the sounds, not the arrangements, and just go ahead and refer to my answer for a little more commentary.

there would be another busload of members...more people get to march.

There's a benefit to this? Sure. "Lets bump the number to 200...screw that, 215!" Etc, etc. Yeah, you'll have more people marching, but then you lose the experience of bonding with the whole corps. I don't know about y'all, but 214 names would be a little hard to keep a track of. You sacrifice the brotherhood aspect of corps by bumping the number up for "varied arrangements."

But really, why not? Because you would without a doubt change absolutely nothing other than what instruments you see, and the volume of squeaking on the field. Because you would be increasing corps numbers and losing the bonding experience that IMO is as vital to the activity as the music. But most of all, because in the past, we haven't used woodwinds, and its worked out pretty #### well. I can't think of one show to date that I've said to myself while watching: "Hey, this would sound awesome with some Sax runs in it." Drum Corps won't be the same. Period.

That's why not.

OH! And because you can already experience your fantasy with HS Marching Band. A bunch of schools are adding in synths and amps, and they've already got woodwinds! I'm sure you can get cheaper tickets than you would if you were trying to go to Allentown.

Edited by thatonecuban

Oh come one, don't we all want to live in the world of "August Rush"? :doh:

Well, I do think that the notion that symphony orchestras and rock bands will someday merge with likekind instrumentaton to be a fantasy world that one could live in their dreams. So .... sure.

But if we are talking reality here ? Not a snowball's chance in hell the two will morph like Corps and Bands are.

Like I said, the fans of these two musical genres would react with more than simple boos if there was any attempt to try and merge the two. It would be both unthinkable and impossible.

Edited by BRASSO