Pirated finals videos

The fan network makes a lot of the arguments here bunk... I mean, now, lots of little obscure local shows are available, for a nice subscription! Very worth it. You don't have to wait for DVDs or CDs to come up at all.

• Replies 344
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'll grant you the cheaper part. But better? We're going to have to get you better quality bootlegs!

HH

lol

Actually the Toledo show that shows up the last week of Finals nowadays usually has a pretty decent line-up, so I personally don't feel like going to Finals would be that much better. Especially considering I can spend $20 and get a 50 yard line seat a decent way up the stadium seats.

You definitely would report a murder if you saw it, but you probably wouldn't call 911 on a jaywalker. It's just cultural boundaries nowadays.

Edited by NR_Ohiobando

I'm pretty sure by purchasing the ticket and walking onto the premises the ticket holder agrees that they may be filmed with or without their knowledge, and their likeness may be used in future promotional ventures. I think legally, there is not an expectation of privacy when you are out in public at a public event (see paparazzi and why their profession is usually legal).

On the flip side, not only is recording DCI events illegal and against the ticker holder 'contract' (when you purchase and use a ticket, there are clear rules on the back of the ticket that the ticket holder must adhere to), but there are copyright issues as well. DCI needs to be proactive protecting their and their member corps copyrights. All it takes is for a composer to see his music illegally posted online somewhere, and he could legally rescind his permission for arrangement due to copyright violations on DCI's part: or worse, the publishing company that holds the rights can do the same thing as a business move.

Do I personally think it's horrible to record shows, especially local shows, for one's own private usage? Probably not. Heck, when I was younger I recorded shows and clinics via tape deck for my own enjoyment (NEVER made a copy for a friend) and analysis; honestly, I'm glad I did because some of those early season recordings featured versions of shows that were radically different from the final product. I recorded The Cadets in 95 for three or four shows straight, and each show had significant changes.

But regardless, rules are rules, and when it comes to breaking a rule that is put in place to a) protect a non-profit from legal issues and b) protect the revenue of a non-profit, I don't see any problems upholding the rule. I'm not going to lecture anyone who thinks different, and I wouldn't get into any arguments or confrontations personally with anyone I see violating recording shows (and as someone pointed out, it frequently happens). But I gave a (partial) answer to the OP (sorry I can't help out with seat numbers).

You are probaby correct that an audience member provides an implicit right to be filmed or photographed in a public setting with a purchase of a ticket to a public event.

I wonder how much revenue is truly lost however when a guy or gal take their hand held little Sony Cam to tape a show from row 39 with noise and talking and the moving, shaking hands on the Cam, etc.. I think this is much to do about nothing, really. Has anybody watched these You Tube videos of portions of Corps shows ? They mostly suck. If anyone thinks that these " pirates " tapes cut into the Corps CD and DVD sales, well, I just would have to see the data that suggests that these mostly crappy home made tapes do any financial damage at all. Good grief, it's not like they are making master copies and selling hundreds or thousands of these grainy crappy tapes around the country. Unless somebody can show me data that DCI Corps are losing revenue from these hand held video clips, I'd say it's all a little silly to get worked up over, really.

Edited by BRASSO

Fact: There would be fewer DCI fans right now if sites like youtube didn't have pirated videos on them. I remember when I was in high school and getting into the marching arts I downloaded a handful of videos off of Napster (or Ares, or whatever old-school file-sharing program I had). I would probably not have marched drum corps if I never saw those videos.

And you know what, after seeing a handful of those videos and being disappointed with the video and audio quality I got a job, saved up my money, and bought the entire Legacy Collection.

Really, honestly people, the population of people that would rather watch a crappy low quality vid on YouTube than by the DVD themselves is very small. They're either going to buy it or not, and I don't really think there's much intersection between the two.

I think the Fan Network is the biggest ripoff ever. Until DCI starts putting content on that is of even basic quality I will not be able to justify spending money on a subscription.

Edited by liebot

File sharing has never been about making money or taking it away from the performers. It's been about spreading knowledge and awareness, and exposing people to an activity they might otherwise never hear about.

File sharing has never been about making money or taking it away from the performers. It's been about spreading knowledge and awareness, and exposing people to an activity they might otherwise never hear about.

Please don't confuse them by using common sense as an argument. :smile:

For all those that have jumped up on their high horse here, if you've ever watched a show on youtube, you're a hypocrite. Hell, how many people have been exposed to drum corps for the very first time through online 'pirated' vids? My first drum corps recording was a recording i got off of Kazaa.

I love watching videos of random shows or random rehearsals on youtube. So much more 'authentic', and usually dont spend 8 years focusing on someone on the pit when theres something cool going on on the field. :smile:

Also, just to throw it in- piracy is not theft, and illegal != immoral.

Edited by AlexL

i'll be honest. I used to tape a lot of shows ( audio only), then still ended up buying the finals cds, videos/dvds etc

then i stopped except for when I did a show write up...helped to go back and listen while i wrote it up for DCW.

now..I just stopped. not because of difficulty getting the tape recorder in. I just started feeling like I shouldn't. I mean I never made copies or posted em anywhere.

so....i guess i learned, but i did buy the finals stuff too. it was always fun to hear how the shows changed over the course of the summer

That's not really cool but at the same time I'm not going to start a fight, especially not at finals, over it. There definitely are some fans though who have no problem with getting in people's faces. At the first Toledo show this past year someone got in my friend's face for taking a picture of the Cavaliers as they were coming onto the field. Is it actually illegal to photograph the corps?