If You Had to Choose...

Which Would You Rather  

178 members have voted

1. 1. I would rather...

• Let Drum Corps die than let woodwinds in
    • Have Drum Corps continue, losing some traditions and adding woodwinds, but still exist.

Well..... now I am going to ask the question since 68% of the voters are being cast now as somehow " selfish "....." callous "........ " sick " :

If a show designer, against overwhelming fan sentiment, chooses to disregard the paying customer, and instead goes out into the field of competition with lots of flutes, clarinets, saxophones, etc....... and it proves to be a divisive issue within his own Corps, and ultimately that Corps suffers in membership, revenues, etc that eventully send the Corps into a spin .... and the Corps folds as a result. Would you call that staff :

a) selfish ?

b) callous ?

c) sick ?

d) all three ?

and the 68% who voted in this poll awat both your vote, and why you voted this way.

( I know your choices are terrible..... but these are the choices )

all three. And I'd have no problem saying that to the staff, and I'd hope they'd get fired. But I would never want the corps to die because of it.

No matter what, it's disgusting that anybody would want a corps to fold for doing something they happen to not like. Nothing wrong with withdrawing your own support by not having anything to do with DCI anymore, or having ill will towards staff, but it's absolutely disgusting to wish the corps to die. That was Matt's points, and I agree with it.

Rational people understand this, I think.

• Replies 201
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

all three. And I'd have no problem saying that to the staff, and I'd hope they'd get fired. But I would never want the corps to die because of it.

No matter what, it's disgusting that anybody would want a corps to fold for doing something they happen to not like. Nothing wrong with withdrawing your own support by not having anything to do with DCI anymore, or having ill will towards staff, but it's absolutely disgusting to wish the corps to die. That was Matt's points, and I agree with it.

Rational people understand that if a poll presents 2 HORRIBLE choices only, and the voter chooses one of those 2 horrible choices ,that the voter is immune to criticism of the horrible choice they made.

Good grief.... it' s like say your mother is in a nursing home and terminally ill, do you want her to have lots of pain and suffering, but kept alive for 6 months, or should the doctors stop the extraordinary means of care and let her die in the next week ?

Then you vote for one of the two terrible options you've left with and you are then scolded with.....

" You sick, callous, sob. etc..... YOU LET YOUR MOTHER DIE THIS WAY ???

get my drift ? That's the above poll too.

Edited by BRASSO

Yeah but you guys are over thinking it. I imagine 90 pct of the people who voted for the "Die" option just saw it as an "Anti-WW" vote.

I voted for the Die option. Don't deny it. Because it was the anti-WW choice. Do I literally want corps to go off and die if they add WW. Of course not. I honestly couldn't care less what they do if they reach that point. I won't have a kid marching so no reason to go to something you don't enjoy any more. After the obnoxious tuba/synth doubling I experienced this year I'm about there with out WW.

:thumbup:

Edited by WWonka

While I agree with your explanation the semantics of the original poll question do not support your justification for Matt's rant.

And I expect Matt to recognize this, call the OP a ########, and offer a retraction to those of us whom he insulted.

Fair is fair, even when it pertains to mods.

Maybe the original question should have read "Fire the staff and chastise the management, or let them continue and support them anyway." That context is easy for a rational person to interpret.

Edited by garfield

Rational people understand that if a poll presents 2 HORRIBLE choices only, and the voter chooses one those 2 horrible choices ,that the voter is immune to criticism of the horrible choice they made.

Good grief.... it' s like saying your mother is in as nursing home and very ill, do yo want her to have lots of pain and suffering, bu kept alive for 6 months, or should the doctors stop the extraordinary means of care and let her die itin the week ?

Then you vote for one of the two terrible options you've left with and you are then called......

" callous"..... " heartless"......... " sick, sob. etc..... YOU WANT YOUR MOTHER TO DIE THIS WAY ???

get my drift ? That's the above poll too.

Understood. I figured that must be the case.

Understood. I figured that must be the case.

a simple rewording of the poll's vebiage could have avoided 4 pages of mischaracterization of the majority of voters.

Nobody wants death for any Corps here, so we can put that interpretation of voters intent here to rest.

Edited by BRASSO

Let bands be bands and let those who wish to remain a drum and bugle corps be themselves. If a big band plays a rock song are they a now a rock band? What constitutes a drum and bugle corps is just that; drums and bugles. No disrepect to color guards, but talking specifically speaking on the musical instrumention that makes up a musical group. A fife and drum corps is just that also, fife and drums. Bands have woodwinds saxaphones and trombones. Change is constant but for those who wish to stay a drum and bugle corps let them not be punished for doing so.

SG

Allow me to recast the options. Not trying to trick anyone. Just trying to establish how far this self-interested sentiment extends.

Which choice would you prefer:

That drum corps stayed in G and stayed accoustic but became extinct in 2020?

That drum corps evolved as it has with Bb, with electronics and with the risk, but not the certainty, of woodwinds and with no extinction date in sight?

It's a hypothetical (duh), so don't give me grief about what's realistic and what's not. Just answer the question, please.

HH

how about drum corps just stayed accoustic.

Rational people understand that if a poll presents 2 HORRIBLE choices only, and the voter chooses one of those 2 horrible choices ,that the voter is immune to criticism of the horrible choice they made.

Except that is not the case. One of the choices is a great choice, and one is terrible. Matt's statements are 1000% correct...IMO.

So now we're hearing that the anemic attendance numbers are chiefly due to........... " the economy "

Funny, but most Pro and College sport attendance figures are not down. As a matter of fact, in many cases attendance figures are up, despite huge ticket price increases for games in some cases too.

Guess maybe DCI ticket prices are much too steep for Drum Corps fans though.. or something else is at work here besides blaming " the economy "

In many cases, they are not up...one example...the MLB National and American League average team attendance in 09 was the lowest it has been since 04, according to the baseball almanac.