Philanthropy Strategy Re: Woodwinds

OK, some of you might think this is a stretch, but hear me out.

Could the short-term prospect of adding woodwinds (for purposes of bringing more people/fans into the activity) lead to the longer term financial detriment of corps?

I only say that because I look at my own situation and, therefore, are led to believe that there are others that may feel the same way I do.

Right now, I am a successful, middle-aged man that has no children and have an intent to leave a portion of my estate to benefit the drum corps activity (much to the detriment of my wife - she wishes to leave these assets to other charities). I never marched corps and have no true allegiance to any specific corps, although as is currently structured a portion of my estate will benefit the Troopers and Phantom Regiment.

However, should woodwinds EVER be allowed to take the field for either of those corps, then my beneficiary designations will change and those units will be out with no hesitation. I do feel that strongly about the issue.

So, my question is - how many other people have a similar intent than I do, and do you (on behalf of DCI) think that the short-term "perceived" benefit of including WW outweighs the longer-term risk of alienating fans that are in a financial position to leave sizable portions of their assets to individual corps via their estate?

Edited by Gator Eagle

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Could the short-term prospect of adding woodwinds (for purposes of bringing more people/fans into the activity) lead to the longer term financial detriment of corps?

I only say that because I look at my own situation and, therefore, are led to believe that there are others that may feel the same way I do.

Right now, I am a successful, middle-aged man that has no children and have an intent to leave a portion of my estate to benefit the drum corps activity (much to the detriment of my wife). I never marched corps and have no true allegiance to any specific corps, although as is currently structured a portion of my estate will benefit the Troopers and Phantom Regiment.

However, should woodwinds EVER be allowed to take the field for either of those corps, then my beneficiary designations will change and those units will be out with no hesitation. I do feel that strongly about the issue.

So, my question is - how many other people have a similar intent than I do, and do you (on behalf of DCI) think that the short-term "perceived" benefit of including WW outweighs the longer-term risk of alienating fans that are in a financial position to leave sizable portions of their assets to individual corps via their estate?

Hmmm....sounds to me like the 'push' for WW is due to the work of your wife! :lookaround:

What a truly magnificent human being you are...... :blink:

Right now, I am a successful, middle-aged man that has no children and have an intent to leave a portion of my estate to benefit the drum corps activity (much to the detriment of my wife). I never marched corps and have no true allegiance to any specific corps, although as is currently structured a portion of my estate will benefit the Troopers and Phantom Regiment.

You know what I think about woodwinds in drum corps... :blink:

:blink:

i've drafted quite a few estate plans in my life, but i've never seen anyone choose a drum corps over a spouse. nor have i ever seen such an arbitrary condition subsequent. wow.

i've drafted quite a few estate plans in my life, but i've never seen anyone choose a drum corps over a spouse. nor have i ever seen such an arbitrary condition subsequent. wow.

Not an estate planner or lawyer but know some people who changed their wills based on actions of the groups included in the will. Edit: post above mine answered question I had.....

Also hope 3&10 is including corps in his will or he/she has little room to :blink: At least the OP thought enough to include some corps.

Edited by JimF-3rdBari

What a truly magnificent human being you are...... ::

I agree..minus the sarcasm. His money, his decision. Next!

I formally announce myself as a charity needing funding :blink:

seriously, a well thought out decision!