San Antonio Venue Announced

Threads like these remind me why I hate drumcorps fans.

I thought for sure I'd get on here and see ooodles of people praising DCI for moving the regional OUTSIDE! Because GOD FORBID they put it indoors.

...oh no!!! it's too hot!

Why did they split it up? That's not a real championship.... you know like the REAL one at Allentown...which is EXACTLY the same.

All of you San Antonio folks that love the dome and won't go this year....I say hop in the car and go to Indy this year. I hear there will be lots of tickets available from disgruntled outdoor fans.

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well I know I'll be going for sure. It'll be with a school group, band leadership thing and we'll go both days. I'm just hoping that we get decent seats and these band kids can appreciate a good drum corps show.

Bring on the heat!

I thought for sure I'd get on here and see ooodles of people praising DCI for moving the regional OUTSIDE! Because GOD FORBID they put it indoors.

Why did they split it up? That's not a real championship.... you know like the REAL one at Allentown...which is EXACTLY the same.

All of you San Antonio folks that love the dome and won't go this year....I say hop in the car and go to Indy this year. I hear there will be lots of tickets available from disgruntled outdoor fans.

My thoughts Exactly. I saw it first on the DCI website and thought "WOW it's gonna be outdoors GOOD!". But then I come on here and all I see is <sniff sniff Cry cry> :tongue:

Edited by Perry S

Well, since I live here, I get to complain about the weather. :tongue: Actually, if I lived a bit closer, I'd be going to SA as well as the Houston shows. However, financially and time-wise, I just can't cut it this year so it's just Houston for me.

Well, it's not a real championship show now, is it? And Allentown isn't billed as a championship show. It's the DCI Eastern Classic and it's just the same as the Dallas and Houston shows. 2 different shows on 2 different nights. No head to head competition. And with no head to head competition, who do you crown as the champion? Do you crown a day 1 champ and a day 2 champ?

If you ask me, for this year, SA should've been billed as the DCI Southwestern Classic (just as Allentown is for the east). But I realize, from the marketing side of things, it's probably too late.

That leaves DCI Minnesota and DCI Atlanta as championship shows. There will be head to head match ups with all of last year's top 12 plus most if not all the WC corps.

Edited by skajerk

I love the assumption that people like me are skipping San Antonio because of the outdoors and heat thing.

Uh, hello, I'm doing the Houston show, both days, where it's WAY more humid and hot. As I mentioned, I like the Berry Center better than what they came up with for San Antonio this year, plus spreading it over two days just isn't doable for me. In Houston I can make both shows since I'll be right here.

For what it's worth, it doesn't MATTER why people don't want to go to San Antonio, the point is some of them don't. Attempting to shame them into going, especially when you have to make wild assumptions to do so, is a waste of time.

:tongue::tongue::smile:

Why the heck are people trying to counter my point about the no-longer championship by bringing up Allentown? (Thanks Randy)

Sorry I brought up the weather. It's HARDLY the main issue I have. It's that they nerfed the whole championship. Dallas and Houston determined performance order and San Antonio Settled the score. It's a big moment when the top ranked corps get to face off head to head for the first time.

I wish DCI's priority was to keep the integrity of the championship intact Instead of finding a clever way to squeeze as much money as possible out of both nights. Before last year San Antonio use to be split in two, morning and evening. Seems like a simple way to split up the two nights. $20 night 1, $50 night 2. Done.

My thoughts Exactly. I saw it first on the DCI website and though "WOW it's gonna be outdoors GOOD!". But then I come on here and all I see is <sniff sniff Cry cry> :thumbdown:

I'll take it that YOU'LL be there then.

I might actually go this year. I've planned on going a couple years now. I even bought a ticket one year, but didn't go. It always falls on THAT weekend. You know the one where you haven't had a weekend off for a while and you feel like doing nothing for a change.

As far as the heat, a lot of folks fly umbrellas (not a cloud in the sky) to handle it. Being a DCI show, is that off limits? I recorded in San Antonio last memorial day (MAY) and it was around 110F (probably closer to 100F ambient, but metal bleachers + direct sunlight + no wind + it was ONLY may). The little thermometer warning icon on the camcorder was screaming at me (I didn't even know that it had one). I was only there like an hour, but didn't stick around afterwards. Drank like two gallons of liquid, but never had to use the facilities. Gotta love Texas.

Each of the Texas options are different. Houston is humid and is generally -10F to -20F cooler due to being closer to the gulf. Dallas is quite hot about +10F from Austin inspite of being so far north. Austin is cool-ish and dry due to high winds a lot of the time. Although once the mercury breaks 100F we have zero wind. San Antonio on the other hand is always a good +10F over the average of the other sites. Bear in mind that there's a good 100 miles to 200 miles between cities in these parts. You shouldn't be thinking Allentown, but Winston-Salem. Roughly the same relative longitude-ness between say Dallas and San Antonio. +/- a couple, kind of hard to scale since you don't have any state lines to cross to judge progress.

The show looks like it will be held at Judson HS, Converse, TX, home of the Judson Rockets "woop woop" and check out the number of state 5A football championships have come from this school when you enter the stadium. I used to live in Converse TX and let me tell you for a high school that football stadium is HUGE! It will be one of the largest high school venues DCI plays this year. Oh did I forget to tell yo that the stadium has that really nice artificial grass on it just like the pro-fields. This is a great outdoor venue for DCI. I wish I lived back in Converse!

I think they should have the Regional at JERRY'S WORLD in Arlington! They could sell tickets for 200 a piece.