First experiences with drill?

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Unless of course BS uses the dot system. If so disregard the above statement. Know your dot. Love your dot. Be the dot.

There are two "actions" in a show; start the performance and end the performance. Anything within those two actions are "reactions".

Don't be one of these...........

x

x

x

........x

x

x

x

"I'm on my dot, and I ain't movin'."

Edited by bill

Similar to mine...no one on the field had charts....the staff had a big set of acetate sheets with the pages drawn on them (so they could see the transitions from page to page, I think). They'd set the end people and someone would step us off for proper intervals, they'd dress the line, then when they were satisfied, we put down a mark (usually tape). The go to the lest set, repeat the procedure, and march from set to set, lather/rinse/repeat.

we used to use poker chips. drop a blue chip on opening set. got to the next set, put down a red chip. go to next set put down white chip. we'd work those three sets until we got the transitions somewhat down, then pick up the blue chip and move that to the next set. then work those through that added set. keep doing this until the tune was done.

While everyone else is standing around, cleaning a set, spacing out, etc....look ahead at your next spot. When the staff says "go set up the next page", while everyone else is fumbling around with charts, and stepping things off / generally looking clueless, you'll already be there. Also, try and memorize your spots as you learn them. You're going to forget your dots a dozen times probably, but the sooner you start forgetting them, the sooner you can start remembering :)

Have your dot book with you AT ALL TIMES!

The OP needs to follow the instructions of his vis. staff in this regard.

There are different approaches in use.

Really, follow vis. staff instructions for everything. Even if you think you have a better way of doing something.

And you might have a better way of doing something, but it really doesn't matter. There are only a few staff members compared to the number of marchers and they work the best with their style of doing/teaching drill. Trying to be smart, efficient or anything not what the corps does may help you during that block but will mean you are not rehearsing like the rest of the corps. Since rehearsal is performance, you won't be performing like the corps either. That's a really bad thing.

If you have a question ask it at an intelligent time. If you have an idea talk to someone about it during a meal.

Mostly, pay attention always and learn as much as you can from everything possible.