HOLY. JOHN. MACKEY. New piece!

Trust me the midi does not do it justice. The band I work with is using this piece along with with Asphalt Cocktail and some John Adams music as well. Mackey was nice enough to send our director a full mp3 of Aurora Awakes that is not out there. Just a beautiful piece and that ending could not be any brighter.

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

When the Mass Collective of DCP turns against you, you know you have arrived.

Rocknroll, John Mackey.

Rock. n. F'n. Roll.

turn off fox news :blink:

What does that crap have to do with this thread? :sad::worthy:

I'd say Boston would do well with it. Maybe even Pacific Crest, Crossmen and maybe even the Cadets or Glassmen could take a wack at it

To answer the OP.....Aurora Awakes could work for the field but it'd have to be pared down a bit and used in a small context. I could see Cavies, SCV, BK doing this.

John Mackey is a terrible composer.

I disagree with you. You are entitled to your opinion but those are some BOLD opinions. I understand you have performed some of Mackey's stuff and even worked with him but I find it hard to tag him as a 'terrible composer'. The dude is pretty young so he has time to develop his work, but IMO he is composing some incredible pieces right now! I don't like all of his stuff but I know enough that I know what I am listening to is good material. Redline Tango, Asphalt Cocktail, Kingfishers Catch Fire are bad ### pieces!

You also mentioned in another post something about Asphalt Cocktail being too "busy" and just a mess or something like that. Have you read the title of the piece? It's exactly what is supposed to be. A slurry of construction is what I can best describe it. And the percussion calls for marching percussion.....hmm seems to me it was meant to be in your face.

Yeah I probably couldn't listen to an entire concert of all Mackey because it can wear on you. But at the same time that is what makes his work great. It is different from a lot of the drudge that is out there. I think Mackey's work has validity and I know many other colleagues that would agree.

• 3 weeks later...
It's nice, but nothing great, IMO.

I like a lot of his chamber works more.

FYI: Note sure if this has been said or not, but he is charging groups who play this piece $400 bucks a pop on loan I believe. And I think over a 100 groups have played it so do the math. Not saying the piece is good or bad just pointing out that groups (Especially wind ensembles) thirst for new music.

As far as So Cal is concerned, only Long Beach State has played it and San Diego State will perform it on Sunday May 2nd. Its a split concert with symphonic band and the wind symphony. Concert starts at 2PM PAC/5PM EST

SYMPHONIC BAND:

A Festival Prelude - Alfred Reed

Pageant - Vincent Persichetti

October - Eric Whitacre

Dedicatory Overture - Clifton Williams

WIND SYMPHONY:

Aurora Awakes - John Mackey

Song For Lyndsay - Andrew Boysen, Jr.

Blue Shades - Frank Ticheli

For those who are not in the San Diego area you can watch the performance on ustream.

www.ustream.tv/channel/SDSU-Wind-Symphony

Edited by bracknbras