A Drum Corps Blind Spot

Okay, it looks like this has shifted to a discussion on the appearance of staff at shows. Let me try and swing this a bit.

How the staff looks to the audience is secondary. There is certainly something to be said for presenting the entire activity to the public in a first-class way (we could debate what that means), but I'm talking about what the young people are learning from every aspect of the leadership.

So, if the leadership stands up on the scaffolding and gives the kids an inspiring speech to be professionals in their lives, to have integrity and honesty, and then during the off-season it is revealed that the corps hasn't been paying their bills or other financial missteps, what does that teach?

We communicate to these kids ALL the time. Not just when there's an eloquent speech being given before a show. Some of you think that the small things are irrelevant. Some think that as long as the kids hit their mark and hit the note, then who cares about anything else. That mindset is seriously flawed.

I think the activity is generally in good shape in this regard. I am not indicting drum corps. I am, however, committed to doing what I can to influence people towards excellence in all that they do--both when they are visible to the public and when they are alone. Integrity is what you are when nobody else is watching!

Granny, I've read the whole thread and I'm still not sure of your example of where you think integrity is failing in DC. I must have missed it. Would you mind again giving the example that prompted you to start this thread? I don't disagree with the spirit of your posts but I'm not sure if we're just reaffirming the positive of DC or addressing a failing you've witnessed.

• Replies 370
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Granny, I've read the whole thread and I'm still not sure of your example of where you think integrity is failing in DC. I must have missed it. Would you mind again giving the example that prompted you to start this thread? I don't disagree with the spirit of your posts but I'm not sure if we're just reaffirming the positive of DC or addressing a failing you've witnessed.

I started this thread because over on the posters thread there were some who were saying essentially, "who cares what a corps does in presenting themselves so long as the show is good." As I was writing a response, I realized that this topic would probably make a better stand-alone thread.

I have acknowledged in a couple different places that I think overall the activity is healthy; however, there is a mindset amongst some that the only thing that matters is the performance on Saturday night. I am contending that the activity is and has always been much more than that. Should drum corps lose (and I'm NOT saying it has) touch with the impact the activity and leaders specifically have on young people then I would count that as failure.

That's why a corps that scores at the bottom can be just as successful as a corps that wins. Because the leadership of that corps recognizes they are doing FAR more than put a show on the turf.

What's ironic to me when someone says that only the show matters, is that drum corps is an activity that prides itself on precision. "Run that set again! and get it Right!" So...I don't care if someone is doing the books in the front office, or designing new merchandise, or the staff wakes up to face another day of influencing lives, or WHATEVER...do it right. Have a spirit of excellence in everything.

I have the solution to the staff appearance issue, all staffs should wear corps uniforms :):) :tongue:

BTW Appearance/Image is everything in marketing and advertising so each corps strives to present the best they can....some do it better than others, sometimes its little things like uniform pants that are all hemmed evenly, or tailored so they don't hang like bags....as for staff, i've always found it amusing that throughout the summer they dress super casual until semi-finals and finals then they dress to the 9's :)

Edited by blueorginal

I think I understand part of what you're saying Granny. I agree keeping the kids safe, the finances up to date, and making sure the experience is a positive one for all the members involved are the most important aspects of the staff/management. I think where it gets confusing is when you start it off by mentioning the posters, and staff appearance.

I am not sure exactly what the poster discussion is, I haven't read that thread yet. However, it sound like some people aren't impressed with the posters, and others are saying who cares? Well, like drum corps itself as an activity, every show has people who like and dislike the show. The same can probably be said for posters, as alot of people probably like a poster, and alot of people probably don't. So in that aspect, something like the poster, which is an artistic design, is going to be subject to criticisms, like corps and their shows.

Appearance of the staff, I had to smile to myself on some of the comments on this subject. I know most people on these boards probably have an idea of some of the inner workings of corps. I am surprised anyone could be so judgemental about the staff and their appearance. So someone hasn't shaved in a few days, how important is that in the scheme of things? In the drum corps world-not important. And I think some people would probably be surprised to know how little sleep some of the staff/volunteers actually get during the summer tour. So if you get the chance for a 20 minute nap, or use that time to shave? TAKE THE NAP!!!!

I agree if the staff is giving lectures on things, and the next year they fold due to money management issues, then yes, there is a little problem. However, things sometimes occur that could never be imagined in advance. At that point though, one should look back on the last few years and ask this. Were the kids fed? Were the kids able to make it though the entire summer? Were the kids in any danger over the 3 months(other than the everyday dangers of being on the road everyday) Were the kids given proper water and medical attention if needed? Did the staff work hard to make sure the kids were working hard, and performing to the best of their ability? Did the corps administration do everything they could to make sure all the bills were paid, and the money was there to make sure the corps had enough to arrive to their final destination in August? If any of these answers were no, then I would say we have a problem. But if all these answers are yes, then I would say they had a successful summer, and anything beyond that is just extra.

What about alcoholism among drum corps staffs? I know it's something that people don't want to talk about, but it really is a problem. I think DCI and the corps themselves try so hard to sell drum corps as the most wholesome, all-American thing in the world that issues like this don't get addressed. It's a widespread problem for all organizations: How do you construct a positive public image while still being aggressive with regard to fixing your problems?

Are you saying you think all drum corps have widespread alcoholism/staff issues? Please clarify.

I was writing this post related to the thread on corps posters and how some use an argument of "Who cares, it's just a poster." But I thought this topic might be better as a separate thread.

One thing that perplexes me is when someone posts a criticism of "non-field" elements of drum corps, others combat them with an argument of "Who cares. It's just a __________. As long as the show is good, who cares?"

Isn't a major part of drum corps about teaching young people excellence in every area of life? Paying attention to details in life is what sets one apart from the mediocrity that surrounds us. I'm sometimes bewildered at how a corps will pound these principles into the heads of young people when it comes to on-the-field performance, but when it comes to other aspects of the corps we see a tolerance of shoddiness.

I think we've all seen it. Big things like running finances poorly or small things like having the staff walk into a stadium looking like they rolled out of bed after shopping all night at the Good Will clearance rack.

I think it's a mistake to compartmentalize excellence and have a laissez faire attitude. I am arguing that each corps should strive for excellence in every aspect of their organization. A fundamental principle of drum corps is: "if you're going to do it, do it RIGHT!"

Who cares? It's just life....

I agree with Granny on the poster issue. And striving for excellence in all areas isn't a bad thing either.

But a two-month tour takes its toll on corps -- and the staff groups that teach on the road -- financially. And with dozens of corps that are trying to keep up with the Joneses, some of them falter in the process.

Also, many of the instructors sacrifice a lot to teach. You can't expect someone to wear band-camp polo shirts and khaki shorts for 60-days straight. I seem to remember a certain director of a two-time world champion corps who valued thriftiness and operating within one's own means. That's not to say there's some idiot staff members (usually recent age-outs) out there who abuse living on the road and see it as free-license to live like a pig.

But I don't think it's as rampant as people make it out to believe.

Edited by ShutUpAndPlayYerGuitar

What about alcoholism among drum corps staffs? I know it's something that people don't want to talk about, but it really is a problem. I think DCI and the corps themselves try so hard to sell drum corps as the most wholesome, all-American thing in the world that issues like this don't get addressed. It's a widespread problem for all organizations: How do you construct a positive public image while still being aggressive with regard to fixing your problems?

Is this a fact? Do you have any examples of this? Because I would hope that this isn't widespread for ALL organizations. There may be certain people within certain organizations who drink a lot, but I don't believe this is widespread. Are these people on the field during practice, teaching/tech-ing while they're intoxicated?

some of us diehards may not care.

but as drum corps, and especially DCI tries to present itself to marketers as this great educational experience, appearance can count for something.

I get the point that Corps staff need to understand that 1st impressions are important when they are seen in public and that they should consider dressing in appropriate attire . ( ie, Che Guervara t shirt ?.. ugh . ) But as for potential " marketers ", My guess, the biggest marketer to the public for DCI.... ESPN..... didn't care a wit what the Corps staff looked like when the corps staff were off camera.

But I'll bet however that ESPN cared a lot ( for one example ) what the Guard wore on the field that would be shown to national audiences, and how THAT attire would be perceived by tens of thousands of national viewers on their channel.

Personally, I don't care what the staff wear to practice, nor to shows. They can wear whatever they want. I could care less . I don't go and pay money to DCI competitions to look at the staff. But I do pay money to watch the Corps, and their appearance gets my attention more than any staff member's appearance.

Edited by BRASSO

Way back when, the first corps I was in would have the staff wear corps jackets so they could follow us into the contest and cheer. The jackets were fire engine red with a little patch on the left side. The second corps I was in wore blue and the staff wore blue jackets or blue shirts. The third corps I was in had white and orange uniforms and the staff had to wear the corps colours whenever we performed. They wore the corps jacket with white pants or orange pants with a white shirt or blue jeans with an orange and white T shirt. We could always see our staff and find them after the contest or performance :-)

In 1983-84 I was on the same plane with the Edmonton Oilers. They wore suits and ties. I tried to get autographs but didn't recognize most 'cause they didn't wear their jerseys. Glen Sather was dressed the same so I got his autograph on my plane ticket. I never doubted their professionalism. They did their jobs well and they could only watch as the people they guided and taught, take to the ice or field.