Why is Change a so bad?

Cynic alert: And sometimes people will demean the opinion or personality of someone they disagree with. It's so much easier on the ego than admitting to themselves that the other person might have a valid point.

Sorry to raise your ire (really-you're one of the common sense voices on this forum). This just happens to be one of my hot buttons--don't you think attributing fear is somewhat demeaning to someone's else's opinion? Or if you were agreeing with me, sorry again.

For those who think that GUARDLING has a point, what's so hard to understand about liking full marching bands and also liking drum corps? And not liking when something unique becomes less unique? Do you honestly think that fear enters into this equation? People should think twice about implying fear in any argument--it says more about them than who they're talking about--if not about insecurity, than at least about sloppy and/or petty rhetoric that helps make them feel superior.

• Replies 130
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sorry to raise your ire (really-you're one of the common sense voices on this forum). This just happens to be one of my hot buttons--don't you think attributing fear is somewhat demeaning to someone's else's opinion? Or if you were agreeing with me, sorry again.

Eh, I screwed up... I was agreeing with you but my post didn't say which way the "Fickle Finger of Fate" <$1 to Laugh In> was pointing. Hot button for me too as my "putting out fires" job with IT involves bunch of people throwing ideas at each other. Learned that no one has all the answers and most times the best (aka least worst) answer to problems is to uses pieces from everybody.

Also learned that people with "if you disagree with me, you're wrong" attitudes are useless to solve the problems.

How can a synth imitading a woodwind not change the sound but a real woodwind can?

Because it comes from a speaker, one unchanging location, and in that context is discern-able from what is on the field. There is no synth on earth that can replicate to the people in the stands what a moving multisection group of woodwinds sound like on the field.

Also, to date, synths have been used (for the most part) for enhancing existing books, much like one instrument in the front line, and really have yet to take over ongoing melodies being produced by the corps. A marching woodwind section would likely contribute just as much as the (remaining) brass line would.

For those who think that GUARDLING has a point, what's so hard to understand about liking full marching bands and also liking drum corps? And not liking when something unique becomes less unique? Do you honestly think that fear enters into this equation? People should think twice about implying fear in any argument--it says more about them than who they're talking about--if not about insecurity, than at least about sloppy and/or petty rhetoric that helps make them feel superior.

Thank you, sir, for phrasing it so well and stating a lot of our feelings on the issue. I do like both, quite a lot. I teach bands, etc.

I see more than enough of it from September to November though, perhaps too much. I'd like to see something else from June Through Labor Day, even if it would be band "done extremely well"... though don't we already have BoA for those tastes? :rolleyes:

Edited by BigW

Thank you, sir, for phrasing it so well and stating a lot of our feelings on the issue. I do like both, quite a lot. I teach bands, etc.

I see more than enough of it from September to November though, perhaps too much. I'd like to see something else from June Through Labor Day, even if it would be band "done extremely well"... though don't we already have BoA for those tastes? :rolleyes:

Exactly, but some people's obsession with seeing marching band done on a WC drumcorps level is clearly more important than preserving an activity that's been in exsitance for over half a century.

Forgot to respond to this part (maybe I do need to go back to the post-op percoset :worthy: ).

As explaination to all (making sure I point at least one finger all around :rolleyes: ) MBs kinda bore me. I see a ton of bodies on the field but the volume barely registers on my attention scale. Would be like seeing a muscle car and think some great sound is going to come from under the hood. Then engine is rev'ed and you realize a VW Beetle putt-put is in there. (OK my other hobby is old cars.)

Being a horn guy (trombone almost 45 years ago) I like the sound of horns and drums only. Anything else just gets in the way of the sounds I like to hear. Only other group close to this unique sound is brass bands and they don't move that much. :tongue: I've had someone say I should go to should and "learn to ignore the amps and synths". My response is I'll try that when that person goes to the theater and can ignore people talking over the movie.

Edited by JimF-LowBari

Exactly, but some people's obsession with seeing marching band done on a WC drumcorps level is clearly more important than preserving an activity that's been in exsitance for over half a century.

Feeling I have had since I came back is the PTB (Powers That Be) at DCI are looking at the MB world and thinking: "So many more people are involved and sit in the stands. THEY must be doing it right so we should be it their way too".

Or perhaps "The MB world has a better chance of survival in the future, so we need to do it their way to survive".

Edited by JimF-LowBari

Feeling I have had since I came back is the PTB (Powers That Be) at DCI are looking at the MB world and thinking: "So many more people are involved and sit in the stands. THEY must be doing it right so we should be it their way too".

but those fans are the long term die hards like we have...and most band shows are local in nature....thus making it much easier for mom and dad and brother and sister and grandma and grandpa and aunt susie etc to get to

but those fans are the long term die hards like we have...and most band shows are local in nature....thus making it much easier for mom and dad and brother and sister and grandma and grandpa and aunt susie etc to get to

And MBs have tax paid rehearsal sites, and at least some staff tax paid for, mom & dad kicking the butts of some of the members if they don't join...

And how about those MB dues....

Oh Hell, we're thinking too much man.... Just look at all those ###es in the stands.... Faces keep changing every few years but look at all the ###es.... The MB people MUST be doing it right....

Edited by JimF-LowBari