drum corps G-7's

• Replies 227
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The G-7 is a real group with a real proposal that was recently presented to the DCI board of directors. Some (but not all) of that proposal is listed above.

There are a couple of clarifications between the proposal and above:

The G-7 corps would also compete in other tour events on Monday through Thursday in order to "connect the dots" as they move around the country.

The Friday and Sunday shows will be G-7 exclusive shows. Saturday will still be for DCI Major Regional events where all of the World Class corps - including the G-7 - would compete. Example: using the 2009 schedule, Atlanta would still be a DCI event but Murfreesboro and perhaps Charlotte (considering that is a G-7 member's event) would be run by the G-7 for the benefit of the G-7.

There is no executive board - all World Class corps are members each with one vote who elect a smaller 9 person board of directors.

Ok, then could the proposal be the Grand-7 from the previous year's finals placement, allowing the 7 to change year-by-year. Which is why they would want to impliment this starting in 2011. If that is the case, then I see no real problem because the G-7 would change each year based on the previous year's finals placement.

Yeah, but if the proposed group is branded and packaged as the "elite bundle", the brand identity created would help perpetuate the corps status.

If the other corps are relegated to 2nd-tier shows in back-woods areas, the recruiting base will be directed more towards the "G7" corps.

This is all spectacularly fubar.

I agree, this is incredibly fubar.

What I was trying to say is under a closer magnifying glass, it seems the top 7 isn't quite as "elite" as we all seem to look at from first glance.

I think that's what you were addressing, hopefully I'm not responding to the wrong idea.

MORE FUN WITH GRAPHICS!

MMMLG7.jpg

I've been involved with the activity from 1977 to 2010, and I have to say this notion of a "G7" is the most absurd, self-serving, elitist, egotistical set of ideas to ever be spoken out loud. I hope the folks from Blue Stars, Boston, Madison, Troopers and the rest ignore these divas and continue to build their programs and actually teach and motivate their members as they have been. After all, these corps are on the rise while some others are stagnating.

And, I still don't know how people are referring to Phantom as a "Top 7/Elite" corps, because as far as my memory goes, about 300 members of the Boston Crusaders and the Blue Stars finished ABOVE said elite...

Or, could it be just that "Objects in the mirror are closer than they appear"....

:blink:

Does anyone have a link to an article or to a website where it specifically states the G7 is going to happen?

And, I still don't know how people are referring to Phantom as a "Top 7/Elite" corps, because as far as my memory goes, about 300 members of the Boston Crusaders and the Blue Stars finished ABOVE said elite...

Once again, it has nothing to do with placement in 2009. It's about the corps that consider themselves "elite" based on factors like resources, fan-base, and which corps are a "bigger draw" at shows.