New tour concept for 2011 proposed

Possible 2011 DCI Touring Format Poll  

369 members have voted

1. 1. The proposed tour for top 7 and special events

• for it
    • against it
    • undecided wait and see
    • other

Well if the top 7 corps are not a fixed set of corps and just the corps that are top 7 in placement, I see no problem in giving them more compensation if they are going expand their touring commitments beyond what the other 16 corps are doing. If 7 particular corps are locking themselves into this commitment, then there is some conflict of interest and is not fair to corps who wish to move themselves into the top tier of competition.

Clearly it will not be based solely on most recent placement as Phantom finished 9th last year behind Boston and Blue Stars, both of whom are not in this group of corps.

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Allright friends, I have been reading some of these post and frankly I am not happy. I have been seeing post were people are saying they will not support going to shows where the G7 corps are playing. My question is, how does this help DCI? I mean by boycotting shows you take out why young people like me do drum corps. I understand your anger and fustration, but why take this out on the members? I am marching a corps that is not currently taking part in this G7 project. That being said, I do have friends who do partiscipate in some of those corps. I wish them the best of luck this summer, but I would want to see crowd support them the members.

You dont have to supoort or agree with the direction some of these directors want to take, but I plead for you to go out and support the members of these corps. They do not have to suffer, and neither does DCI

The G7's apparent goal is to take over DCI, and jointly govern and manage it (through doubled votes, increased payouts, gutting dci office staff etc). And they'll let the rest 'tag along, except on friday and sundays'.

As with anything, there are a myriad of ways to make your opinion known.. but when all else fails and an organization or group of organizations seems to be deaf to its fans, sometime's all thats left is to vote with your wallet.

It sucks that some members may be hurt by this, but many, many more will be hurt if this passes and we have to watch most of the remainder of those not in the annointed 7 slowly wither as they have no votes, and receive less and less per show.

I'm not saying i'll be boycotting shows. But i can completely understand those who may do this.

Edited by AlexL

Allright friends, I have been reading some of these post and frankly I am not happy. I have been seeing post were people are saying they will not support going to shows where the G7 corps are playing. My question is, how does this help DCI? I mean by boycotting shows you take out why young people like me do drum corps. I understand your anger and fustration, but why take this out on the members? I am marching a corps that is not currently taking part in this G7 project. That being said, I do have friends who do partiscipate in some of those corps. I wish them the best of luck this summer, but I would want to see crowd support them the members.

You dont have to supoort or agree with the direction some of these directors want to take, but I plead for you to go out and support the members of these corps. They do not have to suffer, and neither does DCI

This is a spectator sport which consumers pay to see. If the members of drum corps suffer, it is because of the moves of the leadership, and the blame is on them.

This is a spectator sport which consumers pay to see. If the members of drum corps suffer, it is because of the moves of the leadership, and the blame is on them.

Yeah I know.... it just makes me sad :(

Yeah I know.... it just makes me sad :(

Maybe corps directors should think about this and the potential effects on their members then before proposing stuff like this.

ok I finally read the article....and I have a question, what is the new make-up of the board, and which corps are represented?

Also I would not be against this change on 2 conditions

1. That the G7 membership would be a rolling membership based on placement the previous year

2. That no additional board votes are given to these corps.

what I dont get is where is the future in the current proposal? If this would have been made 10 years ago Bluecoats and Crown would not be a part of it. Also how can the G7 say that their presence creates more revenue when last season at least one of the G7 corps were represented at every World Class show except for about 3.

...It sucks that some members may be hurt by this, but many, many more will be hurt if this passes and we have to watch most of the remainder of those not in the annointed 7 slowly wither as they have no votes, and receive less and less per show.

No withering. It will happen fairly quickly, as it did when the big boys abandoned DCM. Difference being the corps now are far more financially fragile. Many will die quickly. Some (I hope) smart ones will go all-age, weekend-only and survive with DCA.

No withering. It will happen fairly quickly, as it did when the big boys abandoned DCM. Difference being the corps now are far more financially fragile. Many will die quickly. Some (I hope) smart ones will go all-age, weekend-only and survive with DCA.

Might work for some of the Open class corps, but WC corps draw members nationwide which goes against the weekend model. DCA 'weekend' corps are hardly packed with members as it is, outside of a few, so I really don't see this idea working on a large scale...sad to say, really.