Here's hoping Blue Stars and BAC

True. Anyone famliliar with Forumla One racing remembers recently when the top teams (FOTA) pretty much told the governing body (FIA) what to do or they'd take their teams and run. They did have some good reasons to do so (FIA head getting caught in an S&M Scandal and they wanted him gone and he wouldn't leave), but still a similar kind of issue at hand.

When I heard about all this a few weeks ago, that is exactly what I thought...it was very similar to the FIA/FOTA riff.

• Replies 293
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's not necessarily the top 7 competitive corps...it's the 7 best BRANDS in the activity right now.

If this is based upon " 7 best BRANDS " and some people don't think ( just for one example ) that the Madison Scouts are not one of the " 7 best BRANDS " in the Drum Corps movement, then I don't know what planet they are posting from here on Drum Corps Planet.

If this is based upon " 7 best BRANDS " and some people don't think ( just for one example ) that the Madison Scouts are not one of the " 7 best BRANDS " in the Drum Corps movement, then I don't know what planet they are posting from here on Drum Corps Planet.

because they only care about the last 3 years.

But it's not about what we believe. It's about what's on paper. These members would still have to vote on it, correct? From what I am seeing so far, it doesn't look as though there is a lot of support for it.

There may be more support than you think. Particularly if more corps are added to the elite classification.

I would almost argue that the top 7 aren't the "act" all of the time. It's the rising corps, look how popular Crown got when they broke top 7, rose to 6th, 4th, and 2nd. People want to see an underdog rise to the challenge, which is why I think the draw in the next few years will be Blue Stars, Boston, Madison, and Troop (yes, Troop).

I have sat in a lot of board meetings. Proposals like this are not made without some idea on how they will be accepted. I believe this grows beyond seven corps and it will be a join or die arrangement. If I was betting, I would wager we see a 10-14 super corps circuit within three years.

Sadly but possibly, it could end up like this within 5 years even without the G7. We have still been losing corps, and even though we have added a few corps to World Class over the last few years, if I am not mistaken we are around 40 total corps going to finals this year between World and Open class. And we all know that several corps, if not quite a few have been having financial struggles as of late. Either way we could end up with only 10-14 corps, but unfortunately, if the 8-22 corps don't end receiving financial support from the entire entity of DCI, we could end up losing alot more.

Sadly if you stop to think about it, some of the corps that would really lose out would be Madison Scouts, Blue Knights, Boston Crusaders, Blue Stars, Colts, Crossmen, Glassmen etc. I truly think the activity would be devastated if we ended up losing any of these corps because of this. I really hope the G7 think long and hard about what is best for the activity, not necessarily what is the best for just the G7.

Agreed. Madison has an incredible brand. Right now theyre the notre dame of drum corps.... great history, huge fan following, but recently have been down, but both have put some changes in place at the top that have proven records of success and should set both on good paths.

because they only care about the last 3 years.

I understand, but if" branding" is based upon " the last 3 years " then the Montreal Canadians are not in the mix for " top acts " in Ice Hockey as a hockey program ? If so, some of us have short memories when it comes to " branding ".

Plus, we're not talking about do this this,THIS season, but NEXT season.

Edited by BRASSO

When I heard about all this a few weeks ago, that is exactly what I thought...it was very similar to the FIA/FOTA riff.

now we need to know who was caught in an S&M scandal :thumbup: