Official DCP G7 Proposal Discussion Thread

its a shame...

for those who are threatening to boycott the G7, they are going to miss some very, very good drum corps...

maybe its time for a deep breath and a count to ten...

• Replies 783
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'll attend, like many on here have stated, but my applause will be very slight..

I'll spend my drum corps dollar on corps that are not apart of this so called "coupe..."

So.. yes.. I will be there to see some drumcorps... I will be in Minneapolis for the regional there..

I will try to enjoy and see it, and I plan on others to stand with me on this with the above actions. period.

Edited by AmmerMP

Ya know what? Let 'em go!!! Good riddance!!! I hope they fail...utterly. And if they came back in a couple years with their hats in their hands, begging to be re-admitted... I'd say, "Too bad; so sad"

This is a prime opportunity for those remaining in the activity to do WHATEVER IT TAKES to heal and grow the drum corps activity. Too many people out there with the attitude that if the "7" leave, it will be the death knoll for drum corps. SCREW THAT!!! Put your heads together. Think. Have meetings. Volunteer. Help teach new corps....for no pay.

They wanna be BANDOS??? Fine. Let 'em!

As for me, I only regret that I have but one life to give to drum corps.

:rock::worthy::thumbup::tongue::rock: to Mark!

its a shame...

for those who are threatening to boycott the G7, they are going to miss some very, very good drum corps...

What's a bigger shame, is not standing up for what you believe in! Just like when workers go on strike, they miss out on their jobs, but they do it to hopefully better their work situation. So, yes ppl will miss out on some good shows, but I'd rather have them miss these shows, than to just say "oh well" and not fight for what they believe in.

People also like money in their pockets.......Plus what reserach besides "c'mon, isnt it obvious" was done to prove that only these seven are the top draw ????As stated earlier, its competition that pushed them to the top of the ranks, insert any corps into the top three and they will easily draw the same crowd.........

More to the point, maybe I missed something. Will the G7 change periodically based on placements, or will it stay constant? Obviously, Phantom wasn't top 7 this year but Boston was. Madison is out, but what if they regain their mojo?

Perhaps the best answer is a competing G7 circuit, separate from DCI. I think the remaining DCI corps could continue to be successful by back filling the niche that today's DCI left behind such as the repeal of electronics and some of Hopkins' other goofy ideas. Heck, there might even be room for both circuits to be successful if there was some cooperation in terms of scheduling and, possibly, resources.

Edited by Phillygwm

its a shame...

maybe its time for a deep breath and a count to ten...

What will it look like a few years from now ?? Woodwids, and livestock, dancing bears, acrobats, 180+ on the field.......whatever it will be, it will not be drum corps it will be the touring spectacle of marching arts........probably wont even be scores either.

G

its a shame...

Speaking from personal experience, I walked away for 10 years and only came (partially) back due to a couple of co-incidences.

It was amazing after the first summer how little I missed it. The feeling that I was doing more productive things with my new found spare time was pretty #### good. And missing it didn't really hurt after almost 20 years as a fan and 8 years of marching.

Edited by JimF-LowBari

More to the point, maybe I missed something. Will the G7 change periodically based on placements, or will it stay constant? Obviously, Phantom wasn't top 7 this year but Boston was. Madison is out, but what if they regain their mojo?

Perhaps the best answer is a competing G7 circuit, separate from DCI. I think the remaining DCI corps could continue to be successful by back filling the niche that today's DCI left behind such as the repeal of electronics and some of Hopkins' other goofy ideas. Heck, there might even be room for both circuits to be successful if there was some cooperation in terms of scheduling and, possibly, resources.

Someone I knew shared this idea with me awhile back. I thought it was a good one, and will pass it along.

DCI might have thought a few years back of setting up 2 Divisions within DCI. One experimental.. the other traditional. Let one Division Corps have a very wide lattitude in using new instrumention... including even woodwinds. The music and themes would be as progressive and as avart garde as one wished. The traditional Division would be just as the name implies. It would allow some changes, but would tend to focus on the maintainance of the more traditional elements of Drum Corps and would promote more traditional themes with more recognizable, popular music in this division being more the norm than in the experimental division.

We both recognized the hurdles to such a practical implementation of 2 divisions such as this that might prove too problematic to ever really work. There would require changes in the judges sheets between the divisions. Costs would be prohibitive. Many other things might have made it unworkable. But if a way could have been found to overcome such hurdles, from purely a conceptual standpoint, I thought it would have been a great way to keep happy those who like to see all sorts of changes, and those who like their Drum Corps not tinkered with so much.

Edited by BRASSO

0.jpg

*insert frontier jibberish here*

"Howard Johnson is right!"

I am not entirely for or against the proposal at this point, but based on the DCW article, G7 press release, and the amount of discussion that has happened before, I had a couple of thoughts that may be worth consideration. These points aren't directed at anyone specifically.

It seems like in general, many think that EVERY Monday-Wednesday and Friday/Sunday will be a G7 show, or that the G7 will not participate in anything BUT G7 shows on those days. I don't think that will be the case, but there is no clear evidence either way.

Some have argued that the G7 take talent from other corps as far as member goes, but often those same members age out of the G7 corps then move on to educate the next generation of members in non-G7 and open class corps using what they have learned from their more diverse experience (not necessarily better or worse). Of course, that's not always the case, and over time things are much more complex than that, but it is an aspect of inter-corps dynamics I think has been overlooked.

At least a small part of the draw of the "lower" corps is the possibility that they will defeat the big dogs (whether they are self proclaimed 'top acts' or not). If suddenly there isn't that obstacle to overcome due to the G7 splitting into their own division/organization (which I don't believe is their intention), will there be as much excitement for those corps that would otherwise be in the 6-9th range? Possibly, that grouping of corps has often been very back and forth, a different leader of the pack every night. Then again there is also often a notable gap score-wise between 7th or 8th and the next corps. Back to the point, will David be as exciting if there is no Goliath to slay? Interestingly, the "Davids" doing or attempting the slaying lately are also part of the G(oliath?)7, as far as the Championship title goes.

Like any new idea, this proposal has its strengths and its flaws (both are subjective). It is unknown what elements of this proposal will be implemented, changed, or removed in the presentation when the next meeting takes place and likewise for any subsequent meetings after that. I think it's worth considering what the positive aspects of this proposal are if negative aspects are removed, and what negative aspects become positive if other negative aspects are removed.

It's clear that this has created a rift in an activity filled with people who are passionate about what they believe the activity should and shouldn't be. I just hope that a resolution comes about that benefits all of the organizations, members, and fans so that they all can continue to be passionate in a positive way about the activity moving forward, whatever that resolution entails.

:rock::worthy::thumbup::tongue::rock: to Mark!

What's a bigger shame, is not standing up for what you believe in! Just like when workers go on strike, they miss out on their jobs, but they do it to hopefully better their work situation. So, yes ppl will miss out on some good shows, but I'd rather have them miss these shows, than to just say "oh well" and not fight for what they believe in.

"Good shows" is an opinion. I find this all very sad. It tore up drum corps when DCI and the Legion were butting heads. It's going to happen again. Honestly, a good show is one where when you hear the line up you don't know before you go in to sit down who is going to win. A good show is when the scores reflect week to week how the people in the corps are actually doing. (off nights, who ever hears of that any more?) A good show is when the fans can wait to see who will do what next, when they have no idea what the corps will bring "to the table" of competition. A good show was watching people with "no talent" become phenominal entertainers with their chosen corps. I'm all for getting as many people in the activity as you can... not the "chosen few." Nobody has said the word... they want to go "pro." I'm all for the amateures. Long live drum and bugle corps!