Official DCP G7 Proposal Discussion Thread

What you've just described is basically what we have now....

Compared to the entire (or what we have of it in summation) G7 proposal, basically, yes, as far as the schedule goes.

Special shows that are entertainment based, with extended performances, etc. do not currently exist as a regular part of the summer schedule. That's what I'm saying should be implemented, and what would possibly help draw more fans to the activity.

On a side note (and not directed at anyone in particular), if I were new to the activity and my first exposure to it was this message board, first I would kick the person who suggested my first exposure be DCP, and second I would be very weary of becoming involved with drum corps. Just saying.

• Replies 783
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Seriously, why can't anyone comment about anything in what I post they find positive? I have continually tried to present my thoughts on elements of the proposal ideas I believe could actually be beneficial to the activity as a whole, but those parts are apparently glossed over in favor of targeting key words or phrases I happen to use.

I clearly said in the portion you quoted, "I don't know what exactly the right way would be." I'm presenting my ideas here in hopes for constructive feedback and discussion about what would make the positive elemnts of these new ideas work, not so that I can just get "no that's all wrong" again and again. If my ideas are not worth that, than just say so and I'll stop trying. Thanks.

Please don't construe my comments on your postings as any sort of personal attack. They are not intended as such. It's just a "back and forth" discussion amongst members that happens to be one of the things this (and other) posting boards are meant to encourage. I don't know what the right way to schedule these show would be either, however, if I understand the proposal, the G7 shows would be scheduled on Fridays and Sundays. If this would be the case, the Saturday show for all the "other" corps would be seriously impacted. And, if I understand the proposal, the G7 is not making allowances for the "other" corps to participate in their shows in any way, shape or form.....unless of course they want to buy tickets.

Please don't construe my comments on your postings as any sort of personal attack. They are not intended as such. It's just a "back and forth" discussion amongst members that happens to be one of the things this (and other) posting boards are meant to encourage. I don't know what the right way to schedule these show would be either, however, if I understand the proposal, the G7 shows would be scheduled on Fridays and Sundays. If this would be the case, the Saturday show for all the "other" corps would be seriously impacted. And, if I understand the proposal, the G7 is not making allowances for the "other" corps to participate in their shows in any way, shape or form.....unless of course they want to buy tickets.

Thank you, I didn't mean to make it sound like I thought you were personally attacking me. Your current response is the kind I am hoping for in a discussion, as opposed to the "no, of course not" sort of replies I see throughout the site (not referring to specifically to you or me) or just repeating the same information that has been repeated again and again on this thread without meaningful thought about the post being replied to (which is how your first response came across to me)

From what it looks like the current scheduling plan is, yes I agree it's detrimental to other shows that most likely would otherwise take place on Fridays and Sundays. Putting all other aspects of the proposal aside for a moment, do you think it would be any better if the G7 shows were only on Mondays and Tuesdays instead?

Edited by C4T

From what it looks like the current scheduling plan is, yes I agree it's detrimental to other shows that most likely would otherwise take place on Fridays and Sundays. Putting all other aspects of the proposal aside for a moment, do you think it would be any better if the G7 shows were only on Mondays and Tuesdays instead?
Is this a trick question? Folks work on Mondays and Tuesdays, so of course the shows would not be attended and thus the G7 would make no gate. And make no mistake...percentage of gate is at the very heart of this proposal. Of course this would be beneficial to the "other" corps. But also make no mistake...this proposal has nothing to do with the benefit of the overall DCI. Edited by VOReason

I think the WGI model is actually a good one (with scholastic, independent and world class guards) since it appears to have increased the number of guards; however I don't know if it has increased the number of butts in seats.

The number of seats at WGI World Class Finals is spectacular, and many of those are units from the other two classes, in addition to those units that didn't make Finals in World Class. But since there is a HUGE number of ensembles in Class A and Open Class in both the Independent and Scholastic classes, by far the most of those are members of those classes AND their families and support staff.

Is this a trick question? Folks work on Mondays and Tuesdays, so of course the shows would not be attended and thus the G7 would make no gate. And make no mistake...percentage of gate is at the very heart of this proposal. Of course this would be beneficial to the "other" corps. But also make no mistake...this proposal has nothing to do with the benefit of the overall DCI.

Not a trick question, just a question moving towards considering better ways to implement the basic idea of the special format shows. Since your first reply I wrote a different post that basically suggested that this experimental format be open to all corps who are interested in participating both from a time/money standpoint, and an educational standpoint, as far as the additional music goes.

I'm thinking maybe the Ambitious Seven are looking to Friday & Sunday to wrap-around already existing "major" events. The existing big weekend shows already come with a large audience most willing to pay for something additional nearby, 24 hours before, or after.

If the Ambitious Seven is already in the same region to appear Saturday, their housing needs for the new concept are already satisfied. Targeting Mondays thru Thursday could be problematic in several ways.

I'm thinking maybe the Ambitious Seven are looking to Friday & Sunday to wrap-around already existing "major" events. The existing big weekend shows already come with a large audience most willing to pay for something additional nearby, 24 hours before, or after.

If the Ambitious Seven is already in the same region to appear Saturday, their housing needs for the new concept are already satisfied. Targeting Mondays thru Thursday could be problematic in several ways.

Loving the new moniker.

I respectably disagree with some of your points. I believe that "the seven" may be overestimating their popularity. There are still 16 other corps out there, and some of them are have long and storied histories. They are not going to go away. If "the seven" believe that the others (and thus the league) won't survive without them, I wouldn't bet the farm on that. If "the seven" would decide to totally break away, I really don't think that THEY would survive. I don't think the masses will follow them to the extent that they believe. Conversely, I would see corps like Madison, Boston, Blue Stars, and Troopers become immediately much stronger (and they may be all quite solid this year) and the "old league" would survive, in spades.

I wouldn't have a problem if they gave these seven corps Sundays only to "do their thing", and if they want to do these extra shows with new formats, rules, etc. they can knock themselves out, while the other corps practice and get tighter.

I am ok with the ADDITION of a new thing, as long as there are still regular contests and championships which are totally non-exclusive. However, if I were the other 16 corps, and the other seven were so bold as to indicate that they were going to call all of the shots and have the only votes, I would wish them well and send them packing. This is the exact reason that college football can not claim to have a true championship, when certain teams don't "belong to the right league". I really think that these seven corps are greatly overestimating their popularity and drawing power should they decide to break away.

GB

GB

All due respect, however if the Saturday show was behind or in front of the G7 extravaganza, the audience (read: gate) would be strongly impacted to the detriment of the "other" corps. Sure, the current G7 proposal seems to obligate the G7 corps to fulfill their commitments to the regular DCI schedule, but what do they care about the Saturday gate. To them, whatever the gate is, it would just be an added bonus.