The most underrated shows of the last decade

I LOVE 2007 Phantom Regiment "On Air". One of my personal all-time shows. There was such a great flow and feeling to the show. The drum parts were so great and sooo clean, it lined up so well with brass and pit parts. I also really enjoyed 2008 Carolina Crown "Finis", the pit parts were really cool and the hornline was also very fun to listen to.

• Like 2

2001 Cadets, hands down. That horn line still gives me a chubby everytime I hear them! Probably the most amazing mello line ever! I remember when they came out to the West Coast that summer, my rookie summer with Pacific Crest, and I heard them performing after we just finished ours...I'll never forget it! It gave me such drive to be better so I could someday join a great line! I never made it to Jersey...but Carolina was a good home to me a few years later!

Another AMAZING show was 2007 Pacific Crest. Yes, there was a bit of cheese, but it was well done cheese! The horns, percussion, and guard were the best the corps ever seen or heard! The drill was also just one of a kind, loved that show!

• Like 2

2000:

Blue Devils

Southwind

Blue Knights

2001:

Madison Scouts

2002:

Madison Scouts

Blue Devils

Phantom Regiment

Glassmen

2003:

The Cadets

Bluecoats

Spirit

2004:

Blue Knights

2005:

Phantom Regiment

Blue Devils

Santa Clara Vanguard

Southwind

2006:

Blue Devils

2007:

Bluecoats

The Academy

2008:

The Cavaliers

Boston Crusaders

2009:

The Cadets

Blue Knights

2010:

Blue Devils

Phantom Regiment

Boston Crusaders

Teal Sound

I'll go with 1991 Spirit of Atlanta - the Glory show

I really liked that show and they were in the hunt for a finalist spot when they tied for 12th at the preview show, but then they faded away and ended up in 14th or 15th place.

I'll put in a plug for the 2006 Blue Devils, as one of the most underrated shows of the last decade in my opinion.

The BD show theme in 2006 was " The Godfather. Part Blue ".

BD finished 3rd, (only 6.5 tenths out of first this year).

Show just builds and builds. The last 3 minutes ( captured on Fan Network, by the way )visually has some amazing visuals and drill moves ( love the backward fast pace marching sequence here) and the Corps playing at the end is as powerful and intense ( and loud... but as in " good loud ") as it gets. Just a phenomenal show all around from them this year, imo.

Edited by BRASSO
  • Like 4

2007 Carolina Crown - Triple Crown

2005 Phantom Regiment - Rhapsody

These two shows are never my first choice to rewatch, but when I do they capture my heart all over again.

2005 Phantom Regiment - Rhapsody

These two shows are never my first choice to rewatch, but when I do they capture my heart all over again.

I wouldn't call either of those shows underrated.

Just wondering which you shows you think were the most underrated, either with scoring, placement, or just the fact they may have gotten overlooked because of the amazing things on the field that year.

My choices include

Blue Devils 2000-This show was absolutely nothing short of amazing. Probably in my opinion one of the top 3 shows BD may have put on the field. This was one year, I could have possibly agreed with a 3 way tie for the championship, or at least a 2 way tie between Cavies and BD.

Santa Clara Vanguard 2000-Another amazing show that may have not gotten the attention it deserved, simply because it was probably the best top 4 in the history of DCI. It also had in my opinion the best ballad ever put on the field.

Blue Knights 2002-I never did figure out how this show didn't place top 12. The music and visual were fantastic, and I personally thought it was better than at least 3 of the shows that beat it that year. I also have to say musically, their choices of classical music that year have been one of my all time favorites.

Cavaliers 2003-Another awesome show in the middle of an amazing 7 year run. I think this show possibly should have beaten Blue Devils that year.

2006 Cadets-Possibly the most mind-boggling show from the Cadets. I think the biggest problem with the crowd and this show, is the fact that most people were so disappointed in the direction the corps was taking, they never actually watched this show with an open mind. I also remember some very rude crowds, including the one at finals. I definitely thought this was one of the most talented guards to ever take the field. And the visual program, although a little busy was fantastic. Definitely a show that took several viewings, with an open mind, to really take in the whole thing. I wasn't excited to have the vocal solo, but she did do a fantastic job, and it actually did fit the show.

2007 Pacific Crest-I remember seeing them early season, and thinking they probably should have beaten Colts, Spirit, and a few others. This was a very solid show, and I think the limited tour may have prevented them from getting the scores they deserved.

2008 Cavaliers-This show was incredible. Early in the season, I really didn't think it was going to be anywhere near championship caliber, but by the end of the season, it was phenominal. Definitely was not a 3rd place show, and probably should have been within a tenth or two of Blue Devils, whose show should have won. Visually this show was the best on the field that year, and no one else was even close. The only thing Phantom had on this show was the drumline, and that should have only been about a 10th ahead. Cavaliers should have been at least 2.5-3 points ahead of Phantom. And within a tenth or 2 of Blue Devils.

2008 Blue Devils-I am not sure how this show didn't win. While Cavaliers should have been about 1-2 tenths back, Phantom had nothing on this show. I know people are tired of Blue Devils winning all the time, but unfortunately, Blue Devils are usually one of the 2 best performed shows every year. I am not sure BD should have won in 03, but they definitely should have won in 08.

2004 Santa Clara Vanguard-This show was another that just may have gotten lost in another great year at the top. Another great show with a stellar ending. I am assuming it was velcro, but velcro or not, a 7 second full costume change is nothing short of spectacular.

Madison Scouts 2009-I am not sure at what point in the season the judges decided to give up on this show, but I really think they should have given it a better look. It probably should have been within tenths of making finals, just falling short to Colts. I didn't see a single caption that Troopers should have beaten them in, except possibly percussion.

Colts 2009-How this show got beaten by Troopers has been a mystery to most band directors and corps staff I have discussed it with. Personally I think it got beaten by a miraculous storyline of a corps coming back from taking a year off, to making finals in 2 years. I have to say I really enjoyed the direction the colorguard took this year. It seems to me like they must have had a brand new colorguard staff. Colts were definitely one of the more entertaining corps in 2009, and definitely underrated.

So which corps shows do you think were underrated this last decade?

Agree with those ones.

Oh yeah and add Bluecoats 2007 like some people before me said. That ballad with the high mello notes was amazing. They should have won brass that year.

Edited by mellodramatic
  • Like 1

This show belongs in the "most overrated of the past decade" thread.

• Like 4

Easily 2000 Madison Scouts. Folks didnt even realize how good it was, took word of mout that it wasnt "traditional" Scouts and bagged it all season, The guard was much better than given credit for and the rest of the corps from the brass, to the drill, to the repetoire were outstanding.

A total dismisal of an excellent , entertaining show.

2005 SCV is the runner up here. FInals night, they were electrifying, almost flawless and the guard was like a mirror. So many reasons for people to put this show down instead of just sitting back and let it speak to you. It was designed just fine, performed just fine, full of GE, drama , suspense, intricasy and pageantry......a true hidden gem.

G

If I remember correctly, wasn't SCV made to wait to take the field during a lightning storm that year? I think that possibly helped to add to the energy they let loose that night. They weren't the cleanest or most complex, but they were the most entertaining show of the night IMO!