Official DCP G7 Proposal Discussion Thread

So, here we've been, strung along (stringed?) for years.....everything is great......attendance is great...... taking in a lot of money.......appealing to new audiences......streaming video.......drum corps in movie theaters.... ticket sales are strong......

So....... where does this proposal come from? Haven't we been led to believe the everything is sound? What is this, ENRON? All of a sudden the end is near and drastic measures need be taken so that the 7 chosen corps can survive and best wishes to the rest of you "filler" corps?????

Where is this coming from????

I feel lied to. And the chief liar is now proposing the fix. No discussion - here's what we're gonna do... Take it or leave it.

Wow, George, you must have taken different management classes than I did.

it's not just George. I so wish people would get that thru their heads

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This has to pass eventually or else dci is dead. These G7 know they could leave dci and make it on their own. Do you think other corps are going to just let these corps just walk away? They know they would be doomed.

I became a fan in 1993 and I used to love to see ANY corps. Now I wouldn't pay anything to go see a show without these G7. I used to hate BOA and all that goes with it, but now I'm more impressed with what the top BOA bands are doing than what is going on in dci. Sure the top 6-8 in dci are fun to watch, but after that it's just not that good anymore.

Some of the old people might come back if this leads to a more entertaining experience overall. The competition is still there and doesn't really need fixing.

I dont think so, because if they are gone for too long, real market research shows they are gone for good

Whats the answer to move this activity into the future. It seems noone like the direction of much, sooooo whats the answer>?

maybe it's time to revert to regional touring, and maybe unadopt some of the changes that helped dry up attendance

This deserves a comment. YEA! is also a band competition management company. Does anyone else see the connection? And I would suggest this is where the supporting data is coming from.

One could suggest that this is another jewel in the YEA! crown, but there's no denying that "show management" at YEA! is no coincidence.

EDIT: fixed "company"

but is USSBA making them any money? I mean I know they charge a lot, but with some of the venues they run, it can't be cheap.

This has to pass eventually or else dci is dead. These G7 know they could leave dci and make it on their own. Do you think other corps are going to just let these corps just walk away? They know they would be doomed.

I became a fan in 1993 and I used to love to see ANY corps. Now I wouldn't pay anything to go see a show without these G7. I used to hate BOA and all that goes with it, but now I'm more impressed with what the top BOA bands are doing than what is going on in dci. Sure the top 6-8 in dci are fun to watch, but after that it's just not that good anymore.

I disagree 100% that the Greedy7 could leave DCI and make it on their own. I would give them 5 years, 10 tops.

You are probably also the only person who thinks the quality of DCI shows has gone down in the last 20 years.

The proposal shifts any responsibility for Open Class "services" to "Regional Associations" and severs any services DCI may have been providing to Open Class. I guess we'd have to list those services to understand what this change actually means. Sorry I can't speak knowledgeably on that subject.

I share your concern however. Open class is a breeding ground for growth in the activity (in terms of the number of participating corps).

I can list the regional associations for you

thereyou go

Huh? DCI is the corps, and those corps have agreed to leverage their audio/video resources via DCI since 1972.

No, it's not that simple. As CorpsFan pointed out, there is only room for eight or nine corps max in AAA. Doesn't matter how many corps "get better".

Cite your source. We have several different numbers floating around for '09 finals attendance.

actually, as someone said, in the meeting it was said 7 max when questioned

if you run a smart business, you embrace the customers you have while wooing the future customers at the same time
I totally agree with you and Im not saying that " WE " should not be catered to. BUT we have to realise times they are changing and some of us will run with it some may get run over. Am I making any sense.....?...lol

pg 5.

Drum Corps International is in danger fiscally. Poor attendance, high overhead, and a base of more corps.........

Poor attendance. If a Blast type show is what we need to "regenerate interest in drum corps" (pg 2), why didn't Blast increase attendance in drum corps? Prolly cuz they are not the same things and they play to different audiences?

a base of more corps.....50ish is more corps?????