Official DCP G7 Proposal Discussion Thread

I haven't read this thread yet, but I read the whole proposal. The last 10 slides or so made my stomach turn. What are we, some sort of circus? :tongue:

"Announce( r ) says go buy stuff"... sigh. :thumbup:

Edited because it changed the "r" in parentheses to a ® symbol.

Edited by Supersonic

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I haven't read this thread yet, but I read the whole proposal. The last 10 slides or so made my stomach turn. What are we, some sort of circus? :tongue:

"Announce( r ) says go buy stuff"... sigh. :thumbup:

Edited because it changed the "r" in parentheses to a ® symbol.

Yeah, makes you feel like we're a bunch of tools that are supposed to line up and get our wallets sucked out ckean at the gate. :thumbup:

Yeah, makes you feel like we're a bunch of tools that are supposed to line up and get our wallets sucked out ckean at the gate. :thumbup:

Well, that too... I literally did wince at that "announcer says go buy stuff" quote, but I was also referring to the ridiculously cheesy nature of the shows they want to start putting on. Wtf? I LIKE time between shows so I can talk to people about the performances. I don't need to be entertained every flippin' second. And I certainly don't want to be randomly HYPED every 11 minutes.

I really wish it were April Fool's Day... :tongue:

3. My source is DCI Event Operations. I asked a question of them and was told 15,500 and then they asked me not to say anything, but that was a year ago and before Dan's firing...ooops...disagreement with some current DCI Board members.

Tom, not only has Dan Acheson been fired, when is DCI going to release a statement that George Hopkins also has been fired from the board of directors of DCI?

Edited by lOST BOY

Some of the old people might come back if this leads to a more entertaining experience overall. The competition is still there and doesn't really need fixing.

Know of anybody who walked away from watching Drum Corps and came back after a couple of years? Only person I know is me and only competition I watch is DCA Weekend. And if I wasn't with my parade corps group I might go every other year or so if that.

What people don't realize is when you stop following corps, other things come up to fill in that time. And if you even thing about getting involved again, those new other things will interfere. And believe me, it don't hurt to quit going, I missed it at times the first summer but barely though of it after that. Only came back because of a few co-incidences and the desire (and spare time) to play again.

Sound bite: Easy for 'em to leave, #### near impossible for 'em to come back.

You know, if Hopkins wants to create the "Harlem Globetrotters" of drum corps, he can go do that. That's what this dog and pony show of a concept really is. It's theatrical "competition" with a predetermined group of "winners."

I do not want this. I read the proposal. I know drum corps has changing to do to keep itself going, but I do not want THIS proposal to go anywhere but in a trash can right now.

The ONLY aspect of this proposal that holds any interest for me at all is the ability for the audience to get to know some of the inner workings of drum corps a little more intimately. I think we could actually do that without the rest of this proposal. We could conceivably have a show segment called "The Lot" where, once a week, one of the major draws for a show (I'd say any top 12 corps, or maybe top 8 or 10 or whatever) takes a night off from competition and they do an on field, interactive LOT show. (or maybe they don't take the night off, but they are "The Lot" that night.) Staff and corps members could be available to take questions and talk to visitors at some point as well.

I don't know how exactly to make this work in terms of placement in the flow of a show night, but I bet someone would come up with a working model.

or is it that Hopkins will spin something to make his point? Dont accept their assertions.

The corps who I have no respect for, in a proposal that is demanding they overthrow the kingdom, would paint the most dismal picture they can.

Why have we been lied to about attendance and the financial state of affairs for DCI?

To be honest, I'm not surprised . . . but the sheer disdain for some of the fan base and for the DCI org itself is pretty amazing to see.

I'm not sure that high school kids are a viable option, since the fan base average age still hovers around 30. There's not much more you can do, short of woodwinds, to make it more hospitable for high school age kids.

I'm so sick of people not being able to get past the whole "elitism" thing to realize the truth. The great majority of the ticket paying fan base out there do not go to shows to see the bottom corps. Sorry folks. Perhaps one day. I liked The Troopers show last year...but before that I really didn't care because it did nothing to entertain me. The top corps have consistently put butts in seats. If we don't start thinking logically and attracting these high school fans everyone seems to think are so pointless, then how the hell do you expect a corps like Troop or Blue Stars to ever get to the "entertaining" level that they're finally achieving?

Proposal for 2011: If your corps is not in the top 7 or 8.... you're out.

Proposal for 2013: Find a way to get more potential members since we don't have other corps for them to join for seasoning. And figure out what the Hades happened to Regional and Finals attendance. Since it's the same 7 corps every show, regional/Finals (with the same 7 corps) attendance has gone to #### for some reason.

Edited by JimF-LowBari

I see it as..."get off your butts and get better." No room for mediocrity to be rewarded.

What's the approved definition of "mediorcity"? Anyone outside of G7?

And what happens what one of the non-G7 corps beats a G7 corps?

Will that G7 corps then become mediocere(sp?). Or will the G7 led board decide that?

And yeah spelling ibelow mediocere, it just sucks...