Official DCP G7 Proposal Discussion Thread

yes. but the point here is that this proposal, and many comments by some of the G7 totally blow the existing fans out of the water. Someone else in here said about the kids roll over...every year a new corps of freshman. very true.

but, then by their logic, once those seniors are gone, unless they are auditioning to march, they dont give a #### about them.

in the 90s when DCI was at it's lowest, it was the dreaded legacy fans that kept the place going. Slowly but surely, they started the youth movement, and then you had the legacy fans and the kids, and the numbers grew.

now with all of the recent changes, legacy fans started drifting away. But...thats ok, weren't all of the changes supposed to drag even more band kids flocking to the gates?

well if so, then why is attendance down?

sure band kids will hit local shows and regionals if the price is right or discounted. I also know after sitting in the theater the last 2 years, the place was 70% older than band kids. Same with Allentown and a YEA event last year. I'm pretty sure, after many tripes to finals over the years I didnt see thousands of band kids running around there.

so really...if attendance is down, they only have themselves to blame, because they insisted on all of these changes that would bring the kids flocking in....and all it did was push old fans away.

and worse...this proposal pushes more fans away

Does anyone remember the restaurant "Bill Knapps"? The vast majority of their consumers were people of the elderly age. Then they changed everything up, started making everything more "kid-friendly" changing the menu, creating commercials geared towards younger audiences. What ended up happening was the younger generation weren't flocking in to the newly renovated restaurant, but the elderly were driven out because the company wasn't serving them anymore. Soon after the changes, Bill Knapps went bankrupt, and they are no longer around. Anywhere.

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm beginning to think this could be a good thing!

I'd be willing to bet there's a personality in the member ranks that has been squelched by GH over the years. And with GH gone, doing his thing, this personality could rise to guide DCI through a period of real growth. That personality could rise at the right time, for the right reasons.

As much as I've loved his corps over the years it should be clear that this man wants the destruction of the activity to further his empire.

And his band may be the best band in the land (hat tip to TBDBITL) but drum corps will still offer the only unique marching sound and experience for both fans and MMs.

Edited by garfield

well, Hop did say when they moved to Allentown that the corps, and not just YEA would be active in the community.

which is why their spring training is 4 hours away from Allentown

Lip service and charlatans! :tongue:

My worst nightmare has become a reality! The top corps in DCI are now seeking to completely take over! They want to grab the majority of the money, power, and more for themselves, at the expense of the remaining corps.

I say my worst nightmare because I had a nightmare about this very thing last year! Remember how outraged I was a few months ago? Remember some of the things I said about ticket sales, attendance, and much more? I saw this coming, but no one wanted to listen.

Now, you can all see it for yourselves! The top corps are looking to control DCI and drum corps completely.

The final chapter in the DCI story is about to be written.

A few old military sayings:

"Infiltrate the enemy!"

"Divide and conquer!"

"The best way to destroy your opponent is to do it from within his ranks."

Edited by INSIDETHEFORTY

During the winter of 2010 I had made plans to volunteer for about 2 weeks in late June with one of the Top 5 corps of DCI. I had made phone calls, talked with key people, and exchanged e-mails. Things were moving along nicely and I was getting ready for a great drum corps experience as a corps volunteer. I was really looking forward to spending a portion of my summer with the kids in the corps! I was just about to send in my volunteer application and make it all official when I heard about the G-7 proposal.

After some very painful soul-searching, I have decided NOT to volunteer with any of the corps in the G-7 group in 2010. I called the volunteer coordinator for the corps and voiced my concerns and disappointment over the corps involvement in the G-7 power-play. I then informed the coordinator of my decision not to volunteer with the corps in 2010.

Please understand, I love the corps and I think the kids that march in that corps are awesome. However, I cannot actively give my support to a corps that is undermining the foundation and the brotherhood of Drum Corps as a whole. DCI needs to change, but such change needs to take place by way of the democratic process. All of drum corps needs to be represented on a equal level so that the change that takes place will truly benefit all of drum corps, not just an elite few corps.

I am sending a message to the corps I was willing to sweat and sacrifice for, along with the rest of the G-7. I will not support the drum corps that put themselves above the majority. Drum Corps must be for all of the people who love it, not just a few who seek to benefit by it. The benefits of Drum Corps must be shared by all those who work and suffer for it. The responsibility of leadership within Drum Corps must be in the hands of those who have shown themselves capable and worthy to work for the betterment of the majority of corps, not just a select few.

Hey... I stand and applaud you for taking a stand. I know that pain-ful soul-searching theory that you have, just reading all this the past couple of days...

This is GARBAGE. It is produced by a bunch of people who are bored with Drum Corps as it is and want to change it. They should move on. If you want to know why drum corps is in trouble look no further than DCI management itself. They have made so many critical errors in the past decade that it is amazing fans still manage to make it to shows at all. Constant rules changes, instrumentation, amplification, overpriced tickets, overpriced dvds and worst of all venue selection have made it clear to me that management needs to go. The best promotional tool DCI ever had was the telecast. (please no excuses about cost) money doesnt seem to be an issue when more crap is added to the pit every year.

I marched in the early 80's. The dues we paid to march were reasonable. But they have become so high that the activity has become limited to kids who have parents with deep pockets. You can forget about diversity.

Corps used to be a symbol of local pride in communities, but the location is no longer even mentioned when the corps are announced in competition. Remember... most of the funding is still raised by the corps where they are based. Can you imagine the olympics if no one knew the nationality of the competitors?

I have a proposal: A complete moratorium on all changes for 5 years. Let the members, fans and alumni catch up with where the activity is now. Plus corps might become more financially stable by not having to spend so much money to keep up the the changes. It would allow for a better analysis and understanding of where we are and where we need to go.

Forgive me for rambling a bit, but this latest proposal is simply too much. I have attended or performed in drum corps every year since 1977 and want to be able to continue to enjoy an activity that I still recognize.

Edited by musclebud

yes. but the point here is that this proposal, and many comments by some of the G7 totally blow the existing fans out of the water. Someone else in here said about the kids roll over...every year a new corps of freshman. very true.

but, then by their logic, once those seniors are gone, unless they are auditioning to march, they dont give a #### about them.

in the 90s when DCI was at it's lowest, it was the dreaded legacy fans that kept the place going. Slowly but surely, they started the youth movement, and then you had the legacy fans and the kids, and the numbers grew.

now with all of the recent changes, legacy fans started drifting away. But...thats ok, weren't all of the changes supposed to drag even more band kids flocking to the gates?

well if so, then why is attendance down?

sure band kids will hit local shows and regionals if the price is right or discounted. I also know after sitting in the theater the last 2 years, the place was 70% older than band kids. Same with Allentown and a YEA event last year. I'm pretty sure, after many tripes to finals over the years I didnt see thousands of band kids running around there.

so really...if attendance is down, they only have themselves to blame, because they insisted on all of these changes that would bring the kids flocking in....and all it did was push old fans away.

and worse...this proposal pushes more fans away

Jeff, Stop reading my mind and completing my sentences! :tongue:

The emperor has no clothes! I have to agree with you.

I'm beginning to think this could be a good thing!

I'd be willing to bet there's a personality in the member ranks that has been squelched by GH over the years. And with GH gone, doing his thing, this personality could rise to guide DCI through a period of real growth. That personality could rise at the right time, for the right reasons.

As much as I've loved his corps over the years it should be clear that this man wants the destruction of the activity to further his empire.

And his band may be the best band in the land (hat tip to TBDBITL) but drum corps will still offer the only unique marching sound and experience for both fans and MMs.

Personally I dont like the man BUT Brace yourself Drum Corps as we know it WILL change like it or not

Personally I dont like the man BUT Brace yourself Drum Corps as we know it WILL change like it or not

The term "change" sure does get thrown around a LOT lately... :tongue:

Help!