Official DCP G7 Proposal Discussion Thread

Hmmm. Is this whole thing just a "false flag" operation designed to undercut support for the very things GH and company are pushing?

:thumbup:

What if Hopkins' middle name is "Michael" and GMichael is really GEORGE HOPKINS?!?!ZOMG!!!ELEVNTY11!!!?1?!

Think about it!!! It makes sense.... :::sips Kool-Aid:::

GMichael's support for BD over the years is an obvious cover-story no one would expect Hop to so adamantly support BD while criticizing the Cadets it's a perfect cover.

His online alter-ego established, Hop now has a more consistent presence online to determine what really pisses off the fans while maintaining his anonymity. ::: gulps Kool-Aid:::

He ferociously comes out against the very things he's proposed throughout the years as a means to maintain online crediblity.

... It's all coming together now...

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

With all the talk about " WHY" drum corps is failing, dying and in need of a new audiance. With all the blame being tossed around with who did what, has anyone considered that economy plays a part and so does a fading older generation that may have grown up in this activity and not just exposed to it sometime in high school or later, that kids today have more of a choice with things to do than we may have several years back, that the " entitlement generation " as they are called, demand more of their extra activities, that cost to run an activity like ours is so outrageous now compared to years ago , it's almost impossible, and the strong will be the only ones to survive? I can go on and on but I think you get the idea.

These factors can not be ignored because I believe this is the MAIN reason for lack of attendace so on and so on, not music, show design, and whatever excuses we care to make. JMO

Sure, we could blame " the economy"...... and blame " the audience "...... and blame " the kids who have more choices"....... and blame " the older generation "...... and blame the national touring " outrageous Corps costs to run the activity like ours " and so forth.

This blame is not " new ". Some have been using these excuses for a long time now.

You've just reminded us.... once again.... who you think is mainly responsible. You listed them above... and starting with " the audience ".

Edited by BRASSO

It still doesn't say it's going to be less shows if anything more shows and also help the (AA) corps on travel cost and give fans more options to see the top corps and if I read correctly the DCI or the other corps would get a portion of the split from the Friday and Sunday show. So the other corps would benefit from more rehearsal time, less travel budget and also a portion of money from a show they don't even have to perform in.

But what if some place wants to have a show on Fri or Sun and the only way is to have (all or some) non-G7 corps? This is denying shows if they happen to fall on the wrong day of the week. IOW - how do you build interest in DC if you're keeping shows from occuring?

My response is based on: "Page 44 - "Touring Corps (AA) will perform Monday through Thursday and Saturday." Only the G7 would perform on Fridays/Sundays."

<round to audiodb for reading closer - I missed the ONLY G7 part>

Edited by JimF-LowBari

It still doesn't say it's going to be less shows if anything more shows and also help the (AA) corps on travel cost and give fans more options to see the top corps and if I read correctly the DCI or the other corps would get a portion of the split from the Friday and Sunday show. So the other corps would benefit from more rehearsal time, less travel budget and also a portion of money from a show they don't even have to perform in.

Not really sure if you read the complete proposentation... It clearly says that the G7 will assume the risk (underwrite/pay for) the Friday and Sunday shows, and will split the proceeds 8 ways... 7 shares amongst themselves and 1 to DCI to offset things like marketing, etc. NOTHING for the AA corps. Nadda. The Null Set.

Also, I really don't see how this could possibly translate into MORE shows, but if you can point out where in the propoal you see than, I would be happy to review it.

Sure, we could blame " the economy"...... and blame " the audience "...... and blame " the kids who have more choices"....... and blame " the older generation "...... and blame the national touring " outrageous Corps costs to run the activity like ours " and so forth.

This blame is not " new ". Some have been using these excuses for a long time now.

You've just reminded us.... once again.... who you think is mainly responsible. You listed them above... and starting with " the audience ".

Im not pointing blame anywhere BUT I do know that thise factors ARE the reason for alot of why things are different now than the past.

It still doesn't say it's going to be less shows if anything more shows and also help the (AA) corps on travel cost and give fans more options to see the top corps

:thumbup:

Taking Friday and Sunday shows away from AA corps leaves them with less shows, no matter what mathematical system you use.

I don't see any reference to helping the AA corps on travel cost. Frankly, they'd probably be scrambling to find housing to replace what they would have had by virtue of being in a show Friday/Sunday.

and if I read correctly the DCI or the other corps would get a portion of the split from the Friday and Sunday show.

Every show DCI runs generates money for all the member corps....it's called "revenue sharing". Difference here is that a G7 show pays each G7 corps $6250 (per their example on page 36) vs. the standard DCI appearance fee of $2600.

From today's Hopblog:

"You cannot further the brotherhood of man by inciting class hatred."

This proposed restructuring is indeed a form of classism, is it not? Just sayin'.

A few half-thoughts/questions:

I've been seeing a lot of arguments for using the Non-G7 as "feeder corps" and that it will impact the G7 negatively by not having those corps exist and flourishing below them. I tend to agree with this. I've marched at the top and bottom of both classes and in MY experience and from what I've witnessed, these corps who place lower take a kid who would never ever in a million years have a shot at a top corps, worked with them and made them presentable, and then the kid goes to win a championship with one of those G7 corps. Just in my short time involved with drum corps on both sides of this spectrum, I've seen it at least fifteen times. And that's just kids going to corps that go on to WIN, not even counting the ones who go on to other corps in the G7.

In response to a similar comment or concern rather, a G7 corps director reported that there really aren't that many members of the corps that come from other corps. I think the figure he mentioned was around 10%. I find this really hard to believe. I mean... maybe they're ONLY from the corps that I marched, because I can list over 10 off the top of my head who went to march in this corps in the past few years, but maybe there are other factors I'm not considering. And that's just FROM one corps TO one other, not accounting for all of the other 'training' corps and where their former members end up.

So, I just wanted to maybe get some other opinions or examples of this. I feel that limiting the experience of A and Open Class corps, this would in the end hurt the level of talent of the G7 audionee. But maybe that's just based on the corps that I've been involved with. I know that not EVERYONE who auditions for top corps has previous corps experience, but coming from a "training" corps myself, I know that there is a good amount. Again, at least from the corps I have in mind.

This proposed restructuring is indeed a form of classism, is it not? Just sayin'.

Yes, just say "Brotherhood of DCI" and it's appropo. If one believes in that. The comments about "filler" that get bandied about here certainly mean some people don't have that viewpoint.